First and foremost greetings and happy holidays to everyone. Inadvertently allowed my BB 9000 ATT ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Yahooligan no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    249F4737

I've fallen and can't get up!(Bold User)

Advertisement

First and foremost greetings and happy holidays to everyone.

Inadvertently allowed my BB 9000 ATT to slip out of my hand and land screen up on carpet behind the passenger seat of my very faded red 92 Acura Integra and it restarted. Bad hardware or bad software? Or is the 9000 just very fragile and has feelings like everyone else.

Again, inadvertently allowed my Bold to slip out of my hand while at my desk at work. Hit the top of desk, a fall of maybe 6 inches, restart. Bad hardware or bad software? Or is the 9000 just very fragile.

Is it just me being an over concerned parent or something else. Former 8830 WE on Verizon. Dropped seldomly, but no restarts, ever.

I like the Bold overall. The device software that it comes with from ATT 4.6.0.167 is horrible. An alcoholic when it comes to battery use. Brought the Seidio 1650m battery it improved somewhat.

Installed device software 4.6.0.190 noticeably snappier. Especially for e-mail use and browsing. I live in central New Jersey always have a 3G status.

Got corageous and installed device software 4.6.0.210. Now the battery is reminiscent of my 8830. A noticeable jump in free space for application memory. Download speed in 3G has approached warp speed, I was shocked for once.

Sorry for such a long post. If anyone has experieinced the restarts after dropping their Bold would appreciate your thoughts/comments.

Thanks!

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    I have no idea what it is... Mine restarts on drops too... I've tore up the phone like 20 times now... There really isn't anything that's loose... I've bent metal prongs in there to make sure there's solid contact.. Still have restarts... Are you using the oem battery? I have seidios extended and took that apart too... The seidio battery seems ok but the framing of it seems a tad loose... I took out my 8 gb memory card too jus to take that out of the equation...

Its weird.. On short "drops" onto a table, it resets... But when I slap it on the hand.. no probs at all...

Not sure how it would be software related.. There's no sensors to detect drops (that I know of)

via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

fritzdoss no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    249F61CB
    No exp on the restarts but same results with 3G after the .210 upgrade.

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Its obviously a hardware issue, as the Bold has no sensors to detect drops.

Even though I hate to ignore the details behind a situation, I think it would be best to get the troublesome Bold replaced while its still under warranty. This behavior is not exhibited by my Bold so I can determine that it is not exactly expected behavior.

Sure you may not drop your berry very often, but who's to say that the issue won't grow more serious in the future after your warranty has expired.

Swap it out while you still can and hopefully you're luckier on your second try.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    My AT&T Bold running .167 did random restarts without dropping it. I contacted AT&T and they said it's a "known issue" , with no solution. After another day of this, I began trying other versions of the OS. I finally settled on .210 as it provided the best performance, fastest web browsing, and remain locked onto 3G with 100% reliability. Ever since installing .210 I've not had any problems. You may want to get yours replaced while you can.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Weird things have happened when devices are dropped one too many times, no matter what version of software is loaded onto it. I had a different phone and dropped it one too many times and got a icon looking like drunk face on it (seriously). Had to reboot it a few times to get it work again but it finally came back.

You might want to take yours back. Sounds like too much shock to the phone. Not a software issue.

PIN/ID
    249F4737
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    249F4737
    Last known restart was X-Mas day about 5 PM. Did hard restart alt+right shift+del
    and so far nothing, you don't say. Thanks go to all replies, especially Joewoo for
    his internal BB surgery. Still running .210 will wait until this version go official.
    By that time RIM will have produced a dozen more beta versions. Gotta love
    those Canadians.

Dwaine12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Good Try
    well i can give my input as to why it might be doing all the restarts, there are only 2, the 1st being their might be a loose mem chip inside, that stabilizes the phone, or the OS you load might be corrupted, i had to deal with this problem at work alot....pin me if you have anymore questions...also on my bold, i'm running 4.6.0.214, and i havn't had not 1 single problem, and as far as battery life goes, its perfection....good luck to you...and everyone having this problem