Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Price is a topic that can be debated over & over. Our free market environment ... BlackBerry Bold forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Advertisement

Price is a topic that can be debated over & over. Our free market environment will decide if the price is right or not. They will either continue to lose market share to Apple or they won't it's simple really.

Apple is highly skilled at marketing, and may throw RIM under the bus. Time will tell.
    sent via BlackBerry
    (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by jaesternbach View Post
    I don't think people are feeling 299/199 is a lot for a flagship. What their saying is that 299/199 is a lot for a "flagship" that doesn't drive like one. Yes, there are many people that are happy with their Bold, but there's also others that aren't.

Besides, I am sure if the price dropped to 199 in the states (usa) more people would be thriled to get the bold.
    Indeed and thats what Rogers understood and that is why they brought the price down to 199.99 - every store in my region is pretty much sold out since then

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Indeed and thats what Rogers understood and that is why they brought the price down to 199.99 - every store in my region is pretty much sold out since then

Case and point.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    I think people will complain it is too expensive if the price was $49.95

No matter what the price, someone will complain it is too expensive.

Why is RIMs fault? The price is subsidized by the carrier. RIM should have little to do with the retail price. Does it matter that RIM costs are $150? They can sell for whatever they want. The carrier can give it away free if they want.

To me, the price of the phone is moot. I will spend considerably more over the life of my contract on service than I ever will on a phone. The phone determines what my experience will be using it. For the increase in productivity and time saved from instant email. I think I am getting a bargain.

If you want to complain, then complain about the data rates and montly service charges. Especially the System Access Fee that goes into a black hole.

PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    I think people will complain it is too expensive if the price was $49.95

No matter what the price, someone will complain it is too expensive.

Why is RIMs fault? The price is subsidized by the carrier. RIM should have little to do with the retail price. Does it matter that RIM costs are $150? They can sell for whatever they want. The carrier can give it away free if they want.

To me, the price of the phone is moot. I will spend considerably more over the life of my contract on service than I ever will on a phone. The phone determines what my experience will be using it. For the increase in productivity and time saved from instant email. I think I am getting a bargain.

If you want to complain, then complain about the data rates and montly service charges. Especially the System Access Fee that goes into a black hole.

You raise a valid point that the price tag for something that ultimately, enables faster working speeds is priceless. However, people are more so blaming ATT for the price tag and not pointing the finger at RIM persay. Second, this thread is titled, "is the Bold too expensive." Meaning, this is grounds to discuss, maybe even complain a little about pricing.

Your complaint about excessive monthly fees is interesting. Perhaps you should open another thread about that topic. I'd chime in...

Karlos16UK no está en línea Stack level 2
    In the UK on contract you can get it free. If you want to buy it sim free then it's around $700.

Ge

Debate

Quote Originally Posted by jaesternbach View Post
    You raise a valid point that the price tag for something that ultimately, enables faster working speeds is priceless. However, people are more so blaming ATT for the price tag and not pointing the finger at RIM persay. Second, this thread is titled, "is the Bold too expensive." Meaning, this is grounds to discuss, maybe even complain a little about pricing.

Your complaint about excessive monthly fees is interesting. Perhaps you should open another thread about that topic. I'd chime in...
    It is not really worth debating. I am not sure why people are complaining. If you consider that you will be paying considerably more money over the life of the BlackBerry in service fees.

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    Well, what do you think about the Storm debuting at a lower price than the Bold? I would consider both devices to be comparable and in some areas one is better than the other.

Ge
    I think the Storm is targeted at the iPhone and thus has to compete with the iPhone.

I would never buy a Storm, simply because the touch screen cannot replace the keyboard. It would slow down my productivity

What I am saying is this

The Bold is a corporate device
    The Storm is a consumer device

PIN/ID
    just ask
    But does having a keyboard and being a consumer device justify the cost being cheaper than the Bold?

Ge
    No keyboard on Storm

I don't think it is a cheaper device. I think it is the carriers offering a larger subsidy for the device.

I am sure the cost to produce both a Storm and a Bold is high. I would even venture to say the Storm may cost more because of the touch screen.

But carriers want to attract customers. I think consumers will pay $200 for a phone. But corporate will pay $300 or more. The Bold is targetted at corporate.

PIN/ID
    just ask
    I completely agree with your position. My director asked me to order a few Storms as soon as they come out for product testing and asked about my opinion about them. I think personally any first generation touch technology is not going to be impressive. That with any company they're going to spend some time working out their kinks before they'll get it right on either the 2nd or 3rd generation devices.

I can justify the cost of the Bold but then again I didn't pay for it either.

xoxalexamarie no está en línea Stack level 1
    Why are some ppl paying 299/199 on ATT but i paid 469 w a 100 mail in rebate so 369... I feel like I've been ripped off.
    xoALEXA

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    I think the Storm is targeted at the iPhone and thus has to compete with the iPhone.

I would never buy a Storm, simply because the touch screen cannot replace the keyboard. It would slow down my productivity

What I am saying is this

The Bold is a corporate device
    The Storm is a consumer device
    Great post that is exactly what i was going to say, the Storm is DEFINITELY positioned as against the iPhone and that is because Apple changed the way the Wireless Game is played.
    Read Archer and I's conversation about this in another thread (dont remember which one i will post back when i find the link).

PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Quote Originally Posted by BES Noob View Post
    Well, what do you think about the Storm debuting at a lower price than the Bold? I would consider both devices to be comparable and in some areas one is better than the other.
    Storm's lower price point is better marketing. Lol.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast