Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have been running 167 (268) out of the Box and haven't had any problems ... BlackBerry Bold forum

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional

Advertisement

I have been running 167 (268) out of the Box and haven't had any problems at all, battery life is fine, no sluggishness, this one works for me. Now my question is are these other OS above 167 (268) AT&T or another Carrier?

8800bruin no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyFizzle View Post
    How's the battery life? That's been my biggest issue.
    DaddyFizzle: On the new 185 operating system software. I now saw a reduction of 25% over 6 hours compared to the prior day 45% over 9 hours. So there was some improvement.

I just called RIM support to ask them about some comparisons to the Curves battery life. He said the Bold was designed to be a more efficient power consumer and that it should be equal if not better then the Curve (he probably isn't an AT&T customer). I can live with it this way...but look forward to hearing from others that have better performance from a different OS.

Quote Originally Posted by DjSmooth View Post
    I have been running 167 (268) out of the Box and haven't had any problems at all, battery life is fine, no sluggishness, this one works for me. Now my question is are these other OS above 167 (268) AT&T or another Carrier?
    Out of curiosity, RIM said it should be there, do you have under Options, Mobile Network, you should have two options, Data Services and then an options for 2G/3G, do you?

On the 185 version I don't have it. And I don't remember having it on 167 either. Could you let me know? Thanks!

fondoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A26BE1
    i just got my bold and its pretty stable. i do have to charge it every night and the next day in my office. i have no complaints.

if its not broken, dont fix it.
    Upgraded the BlackBerry Curve to BlackBerry Bold 12/1/08.

mikadad no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    I have upgraded to 190, but want to drop back a OS, I uninstalled off my PC the 190 version and 185 is installed, but its not recognizing it, what am I missing? I have deleted the vendor file...
    Last edited by mikadad; 12-04-2008 at 03:31 PM.
    Michael

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Quote Originally Posted by 8800bruin View Post
    Out of curiosity, RIM said it should be there, do you have under Options, Mobile Network, you should have two options, Data Services and then an options for 2G/3G, do you?

On the 185 version I don't have it. And I don't remember having it on 167 either. Could you let me know? Thanks!

The ATT Bold does not offer the option to toggle between edge, 2G, and 3G. Rodger's Bold offers this. Also, upgrading the OS will not change the availability to select network coverage; it's a built in component that ATT left out.

Quote Originally Posted by mikadad View Post
    I have upgraded to 190, but want to drop back a OS, I uninstalled off my PC the 190 version and 185 is installed, but its not recognizing it, what am I missing? I have deleted the vendor file...
    mikadad: First thing, back up your device. Then use jl_Cmder to wipe the device clean, you'll get a 507 error (that's expected), then start the app loader in DM. That should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by jaesternbach View Post
    The ATT Bold does not offer the option to toggle between edge, 2G, and 3G. Rodger's Bold offers this. Also, upgrading the OS will not change the availability to select network coverage; it's a built in component that ATT left out.
    Interesting, so is that a physical component of the phone or something in the firmware? According to a rep at RIM, the physical phone is the same for all carriers, excluding the carrier badge (obviously), start up image and the OS which each carrier tailors to their liking.

ccostel no está en línea Stack level 3
    I was on 167 until about 3 days ago. I upgraded to 190 and haven't had any real issues. I have noticed that the battery life keeps getting better. Today after about 8 hours off of the charger I am at 70% still. On 167, I would be around 50% at this point. It almost seems like each day since the upgrade it gets a little better. Not sure how that would work.

Quote Originally Posted by ccostel View Post
    I was on 167 until about 3 days ago. I upgraded to 190 and haven't had any real issues. I have noticed that the battery life keeps getting better. Today after about 8 hours off of the charger I am at 70% still. On 167, I would be around 50% at this point. It almost seems like each day since the upgrade it gets a little better. Not sure how that would work.
    Your getting improved battery life because of the way the new operating system is handling the 3G signal. On 167, at least 5 or 6 times in a few hours span I'd hear the EDGE signal in my computer speakers, I'd check and yeah I was in EDGE.

After upgrading to 185, i maybe see EDGE once or twice a day! Each time you go to EDGE, your phone is trying to acquire a 3G signal and that takes up some juice!

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Quote Originally Posted by 8800bruin View Post
    Interesting, so is that a physical component of the phone or something in the firmware? According to a rep at RIM, the physical phone is the same for all carriers, excluding the carrier badge (obviously), start up image and the OS which each carrier tailors to their liking.

It's hardware of some sort as far as I know. If you do a search, there is already a thread about the ATT bold not being able to toggle between signals.

manoffire21 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30bd08b8
    i just got my bold in the mail today and i havent had any problems yet. except for first thing this morning when i tried to transfer my info from my old bb to my new one thats when i got the errors that everyone has been talking about. but other than that i havent had this thing lock up or anything. after it was charger fully ive been using it pretty hard all day messing with different apps and installing new programs and things like that,and yet the battery life is still at 80%. i guess tomorrow will be the true test of fate. and i have not noticed it switching between edge and 3g but i guess if im not staring at it all day i wont notice it. all i know right now is that its a hell of a lot faster than my tilt which i exchanged for the bold. it doesnt lock up (as of yet anyway) battery so far is definately better and i actually have full service in my area rather than just 1 bar on my tilt in the same area. ill update tomorrow on a full days findings
    storm 9530
    PIN: 3051C125

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12