Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've been reading about people going to 185/190 and some say it's good, some not ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Clifford938 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24a57ef3

is ATT 4.6.167 really that bad?

Advertisement

I've been reading about people going to 185/190 and some say it's good, some not
    And theres the people who went back to 167

What about people buying a Bold from ATT with 167 and just running it straight out of the box

I personally tried 190 and have mixed reviews on it, but I just got through putting it back to 167//My biggest gripe was the error messages I kept getting with 190 and had to reboot it many times until it had all the icons and all was working correctly

I keep switching to my Pearl out of frustration

dts51 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask ;-)
    I was reading about the different OS versions for the Bold before my purchase and about how many were having problems with the (.167) original OS installed at the time of purchase...I DL ver .185 and installed it, because that seemed to be what most bold owners were considering to be most stable...I honestly did not even have .167 installed long enough to know if it had issues on my bold, I probably should have spent more time on it, but took in consideration the trial by error of those who purchased before me...with that said, if .167 is not giving you any issues, and you are satisfied, then I would stay with it. Ver .185 has been great for me, I don't have any issues that would sway me into going back down to .167.
    "May fortune favor the foolish" ...... Captain James T. Kirk

JT Stringfellow no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2159AB3B
    I agree whn I bought the Bold after a week .167 was cool but it just wasn't working out for me I read bout .185 and .190 installed .185 its was great except I kept getting the hour glass and .190 just had too many flaws battery life my phone would reboot so I went back to .185 and its better.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5
    I honestly feel that .185 works for me. I had .167 for about a week and it seemed like my battery life was really crappy. I mean, I would use it and by the middle of the day (after charging it overnight), I would have to charge my phone again. Then, at nighttime, I would have to charge it again as well.

Anyhow, I know that the OS probably has little or no, or maybe a lot of affect on my battery life, but I find .185 to be more stable. Therefore, no complaints about .185. I just think that since most PS'rs are using .185 or up, that the best thing to do is to keep your precious bb updated with the OS, unless you have no problems with your current OS.

There are some people who have upgraded their OS to .190 and found it to be rather buggy, while others have experienced little or no problems with it. It's strange, but my opinion is to use whichever OS you find less "buggier." I am using .185 and do not have nearly as many problems as people using .190.

HITMONEY no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A06965
    I have been running 167 right out of the AT&T box since the day the phone was released... no problems whatsoever.. great battery life, no errors at all and only one dropped call.

*Shrug*

Really couldn't ask for more out of my BOLD.

pinpoint no está en línea Themes Pro
    PIN/ID
    ask me.
    Running stock at .162 rogers version bold. 2-3 weeks straight, no issues. Will upgrade to .190 AVEA edition tonight. I will let you know of any issues.
    dcrin3.com
    One Second Coming
    1s-
    Tour - 9/6/9 | ~3pm

bigblue95z no está en línea Stack level 3
    For some .167 works great. For those who go the error messages and the like, .185 squared them all away. I'd upgrade just cause its sooo easy. Pinstack+search=knowledge!

EricScott no está en línea Stack level 2
    Have also been on 167 for exactly a month now (got my bold on 11/3) and haven't had any issues. Rarely if ever see an hourglass...can get almost 2 full days of battery life w/ a good amount of emails, texting, BBM, browsing and some phone calls. Only apps I have installed are Opera, Facebook and Google Maps. If I leave Google Maps open it drains the crap out of the battery but otherwise battery life has been great. Usually charge it every night and it's around 60 - 65%.

Have historically upgraded my pearl a few times and am comfortable doing it, but given some of the problems SOME others have seemed to encounter w/ 185 and 190 I feel like I should leave well enough alone until they come out w/ an OS that really seems to be great for everyone (or most people).

EDIT: forgot to mention that the available memory is a little low - maybe 22 mb after a full reboot which trickles down to 12 - 15 by the end of the day. I Alt/Shift/Del reboot it every night though so no biggie.
    Last edited by EricScott; 12-03-2008 at 04:10 PM.

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB
    I have run 4.6.0.134, .162, .167, .185 and .190.

.134 = no opinion, installed with the phone, only ran it for a few hours.

.162 = second best overall for available memory, minimal memory leak, battery life good.

.167 = worst available memory, worst memory leak, slowest response, battery life so-so.

.185 = memory leak still poor, battery life so-so.

.190 = best for overall available memory, minimal memory leak, battery life decent.

Note: I do not use the phone much for voice calls (mainly email, sms, IM apps, news, gps navigation, etc.), so the above opinions should take that into consideration. That is, no experience with dropped calls, signal coverage, and so on, simply because I do not have enough information to formulate an opinion.
    -Klotar
    Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.

8800bruin no está en línea Stack level 3
    I've had my Bold for 1 day running stock AT&T .167 In a few minutes I will upgrade to 185. My bold was plugged into the my desktop all day and between the time I left the office and went to sleep was 9 hours, and my battery decreased by 45%. Not the performance I'm used to with my Curve.

Quote Originally Posted by 8800bruin View Post
    I've had my Bold for 1 day running stock AT&T .167 In a few minutes I will upgrade to 185. My bold was plugged into the my desktop all day and between the time I left the office and went to sleep was 9 hours, and my battery decreased by 45%. Not the performance I'm used to with my Curve.
    So I just finished the install of OS 185 and yes it is that much better. Not only have I stayed on 3G, (which on 167, it kept switching to EDGE all day long), but the actual 3G speed in the browser is much faster too. The only issue I have with it, it that I can't get AIM to install, but it's ok since I have JiveTalk.

DaddyFizzle no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    28A34994
    So I just finished the install of OS 185 and yes it is that much better. Not only have I stayed on 3G, (which on 167, it kept switching to EDGE all day long), but the actual 3G speed in the browser is much faster too. The only issue I have with it, it that I can't get AIM to install, but it's ok since I have JiveTalk.
    How's the battery life? That's been my biggest issue.
    Save a tree by using a BlackBerry!

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyFizzle View Post
    How's the battery life? That's been my biggest issue.
    DaddyFizzle- I can let you know tomorrow. I usually keep my berry plugged into my computer at work, but the true test will be from when I leave to the point i put it to charge at night to see how much battery drain occurs. Yesterday, in 9.5 hours I lost 45% of my battery. Can't get any worse!

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5
    DaddyFizzle- I can let you know tomorrow. I usually keep my berry plugged into my computer at work, but the true test will be from when I leave to the point i put it to charge at night to see how much battery drain occurs. Yesterday, in 9.5 hours I lost 45% of my battery. Can't get any worse!
    I don't know if you know this or not, but running Jivetalk may be the cause of your rapid battery drainage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo0tdemon View Post
    I don't know if you know this or not, but running Jivetalk may be the cause of your rapid battery drainage.
    Thanks for the heads up, but I only installed it today and never leave it logged in for more then a few minutes. Don't know why I bought it, one of those programs I never use

And per your comment above, you'd be surprised just how much the OS has to do with battery life!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast