Mentioning the iPhone and comparing it to ‘anything’ usually results in some heated discussion, but ... BlackBerry Bold forum

stmcgill no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2104EBA8

iPhone 3G v Blackberry Bold

Advertisement

Mentioning the iPhone and comparing it to ‘anything’ usually results in some heated discussion, but I felt the need to compare the iPhone 3G to the Blackberry Bold because it surprised me so much with its entertainment capabilities. Below is the table of results that I came up with. This is based on 5 days with a Blackberry Bold and 5 days with an iPhone 3G, both on O2.

There are some areas in which both phones perform similarly and fortunately the vast majority of functions do work well on both devices. There are, however, some areas that have proved difficult for me and these are why the Blackberry Bold ultimately won out in this little contest. Of particular concern for the iPhone was the general speed of the phone, which would often slow to a crawl when connected to my MS Exchange account. I eventually changed the email set up to 'manual', but noticed problems when the actual synchronisation was taking place. Having push data enabled under 3G also had quite an effect on battery life. I would rate the iPhone 3G battery as not particularly good for power users who require a device to be connected to email all of the time. On the other hand, the Blackberry Bold has proved to be pretty good in this department with at least 3 days use possible on one charge (with 3G enabled). That is superb performance compared to the vast majority of phones I have tested recently.

The data entry set up on the iPhone has never really worked for me, but I know people who love it so I will not be classing it as a fault here. Call Quality, on the other hand, is pretty woeful on the iPhone and the speakerphone is terrible. The voice side is worse than many phones that cost around Ł20 without a contract. This is another area of contrast in that the Bold is absolutely brilliant in both of these areas.

Third party software is a problem for the Bold and I have struggled to find a good range of quality titles available for it, especially games. The iPhone is obviously doing very well in this department, and will probably become the premier mobile platform for third party applications in the future. There are some good quality titles for the Blackberry in specific areas; Ascendo Money for finance, MobiPocket for eBooks, got-2 for calendering and so on. I have managed to find good quality solutions in each of the areas I need, but am aware not to expect much flexibility in the future.

For organisation, the Bold has proved to be superior. It is not perfect, but calendar and contacts does utilise shortcuts well and displays the information I need in a simplistic and easy to view manner. It is very like the standard Palm set up, and so will be familiar to many. On the iPhone, I feel that the calendar in particular is all style over substace- I found it slow to add new appointments and not paritcularly good at displaying bulk lists of events. For an email centric device, the Bold is poor in that it does not display messages well and this 'list of everything' set up is the opposite of proper organisation in my view.

Music and video are what the iPhone is known for, but the Bold shocked me when I first tested it. The music quality is slightly better than the iPhone, very slightly, and I found the music player just as quick as the iPhone for choosing tracks from 100's that are loaded. The video experience on the iPhone is difficult to beat and the large screen helps a lot, so it wins here. I must make the point that the actual video playback quality on the Bold appears to be clearer and more realistic than the iPhone. I tested this with a few people and they all felt that the Bold screen was better.

At the end of the day I love so much about the iPhone that it doesn't feel fair to criticise it, but there are definate problems with it at the moment. The Bold is such an impressive all-rounder that it can easily replace a Nokia E71 and iPhone / iPod, and still offer similar eperiences to both devices. It is a clever smartphone indeed that can help me run my life and replace the iPhone at the same time...
    Shaun McGill
    www.pda-247.com
    Blackberry, Symbian, iPhone, Windows Mobile, Android etc. etc.
    PIN: 2104EBA8

jrmtl no está en línea Stack level 3

Thumbs up

Excellent review!

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Especially since the phone functionality is so bad on the iPhone, I find the iTouch a great solution if entertainment on a tiny screen is of importance. Since it does not require an expensive contract it makes a lot of sense. Especially since it does everything as well as an iPhone.
    Cheers
    sent via BlackBerry

(wap.pinstack.com)~

usman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207717F1
    they should try that again with new update to 2.1 for iphone

i should have my bold here shortly, along with i already have an iphone and a curve 8310.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by usman View Post
    i already have an iPhone and a curve 8310.
    While I use a BlackBerry as my main phone, and the cornerstone of all my communications, mobile email, text, etc. It's also used with Outlook for my calendar, to sync with my laptop, and other functions. I am very much a multi brand mobile phone enthusiast. I buy many phones of all brands and types. Unlocked, unbranded phones direct from Hong Kong, etc. I purchased the 1st gen iPhone when it was released to see what it was like. I have absolutely nothing against Apple products, and have owned over 12 new Apple laptops, various iPods, desktops etc., I'm now on the 2nd gen iPhone and just as the first, I simply bought one out of curiosity to see what it was like. In fact, I will be selling it soon, as I've had enough of it. There is no way, any other smart phone would replace a BlackBerry for my needs.

The 1st gen iPhone I used for a couple of weeks and just got lucky as I dumped it on Craigslist, before Jobs slashed the price by $200, due to poor sales. Fortunately I got exactly what I paid for mine. My experience with this 2nd gen iPhone while improved, is far from what the company would have you believe it is capable of. Again, not a bad entertainment device, however I would much rather watch movies on my laptop, with a good sized screen as opposed to a tiny 3" display. Also I use an iPod nano for my music as I have no desire for it to be part of my phone. However, that's just personal preference.

I find it interesting as far as the desire that exists amongst so many to compare the iPhone vs Bold. Yes they are smart phones, yes they are top tier companies, however beyond that, Apple has clearly morphed into an entertainment company, and therefore the focus of the iPhone is flashy graphics, music, video, and all things that appeal to those who's first priority is to play (and I'm not being critical, it is what it is). Apples cunning strategy to target the 12 yr old to 25 year old demographic is brilliant. There is a tremendous amount of disposable income in that sector and Apple is grabbing all it can get. As long as they continue to fulfill peoples insecurities by providing them with the ego boost of being "cool" then the Apple cash cow with be alive and well. As far as a truly mutli purpose communications device, personal lifestyle manager, business CRM device, and superior mobile email processor, the Bold truly does it all. Then add to that, the addition of music, video, photos, and other entertainment features, In my opinion the Bold is the best all around device for a wide demographic.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    While I use a BlackBerry as my main phone, and the cornerstone of all my communications, mobile email, text, etc. It's also used with Outlook for my calendar, to sync with my laptop, and other functions. I am very much a multi brand mobile phone enthusiast. I buy many phones of all brands and types. Unlocked, unbranded phones direct from Hong Kong, etc. I purchased the 1st gen iPhone when it was released to see what it was like. I have absolutely nothing against Apple products, and have owned over 12 new Apple laptops, various iPods, desktops etc., I'm now on the 2nd gen iPhone and just as the first, I simply bought one out of curiosity to see what it was like. In fact, I will be selling it soon, as I've had enough of it. There is no way, any other smart phone would replace a BlackBerry for my needs.
    (...) In my opinion the Bold is the best all around device for a wide demographic.
    Couldn't agree more ! i also use a nano and a bold and i find that it is the perfect mix

xattica no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    GA

Thumbs up

Well. After used 5 generations of blackberries, I really need background applications and the beautiful led. This is where the Iphone lose agains the blackberry. The browsing is incredible, but the chat sux. There are a lot of applications, but a lot of them are web based. With the 2.1 firmware the speed, baterry life and sound quality is a lot better.

For me is:
    Iphone 134
    Bold 136