Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So...After months of waiting and posting like a retard, I was finally able to pick ... BlackBerry Bold forum

terrapin no está en línea Stack Pro

Initial Impressions & Feelings...

Advertisement

So...After months of waiting and posting like a retard, I was finally able to pick the Bold up tonight at a BIG AT&T Corp. store in Chicago. No hype, no fuss, just walked in, asked for the Bold (I called first of course), and I was out the door - The salesman did congratulate me as if I just had a kid but, what the hell...

Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice device. Feels solid. Screen = Great! Starts up lightning fast. But, as they say, waiting is half the fun. Now that I have the damn thing, I am not as "excited" as I was, say a month ago. I think it was more "fun" to anticipate the release than the release itself. But that's just me.

My Impressions:

Screen: Perfect! Crystal clear, vibrant...

Case: Feels solid. Inserting the micro SD is a little bit of a pain in the ***. Getting it out is even tougher. I tried, and it finally popped out. The door to it closes nicely however.

Back: Cool with the faux leather thing going - Nothing to write home about, but cool nonetheless.

Keyboard: Really cool! They're "flat" for the commands like "menu", but they're easy to differentiate and a pleasure to push. Sounds queer but they are nice...

What's included: I got a case, and the usual chargers - They've included some new BB earbuds that look kinda cool - I will never use 'em so who cares?

Price: I paid $399 with a $100 mail-in rebate form - Not bad. The salesman said the price drops to $299 + a rebate if you get the "accessories bundle". I have everything I need but they really tried to cross sell everything from cases to BT headsets.

General Thoughts: Honestly, and please note that this is MY opinion only, I think BBerry is gonna eat it on this device. Basically, no one really knows about it and I don't think that people will be lining the streets dying to get their hands on it eother, like the iPhone. You can knock Apple and the iPhone all you want but even with a subpar device, it'll probably, like the iPod, and one of the best sellers and consumer "icons" of this century. We can say all we want how BBerry doesn;t want to be another Apple and that their devices cater to a more select crowd but get real...They want to make as much $$ as possible and I just don't think the Bold is gonna be their ticket. The delays and mis-information were eventually overshadowed by the Storm and even, to an extent, the G1. Those devices had/have pretty clear release dates, the marketing an ads have been consistent and "out there" and I think that VZW is going to sell the crap out of 'em.

Conclusion(s): Get the Bold - You will love it! It looks and acts terrific but, in the end, it's functionality and abilities don't kick other BBerrys asses. There is nothing "revolutionary" about it other than it's th first 3G berry, has wi-fi AND GPS...But many other phones do too. I'm not too into touch screens so, if I needed to pick just 1 berry it would 100% be the Bold...Funny thing is, ask me in a year or two and there will probably be something I say the same thing about.

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Thank you for sharing - much appreciated

PIN/ID
    AskMe

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
    So...After months of waiting....
    Now that I have the damn thing, I am not as "excited" as I was, it's functionality and abilities don't kick other BBerrys asses. There is nothing "revolutionary" about it.
    @ terrapin,
    Great write up. I agree with your assessment, with special emphasis on the points above. After spending quite some time closely evaluating my unlocked Rogers Bold, I've already changed my plans to buy the AT&T version today. Instead, I've just returned to my 8310 as my main BlackBerry. The Bold just did not satisfy my needs. Its a good BlackBerry as usual, but didn't wow me.
    At this point the plan is to wait until the Curve 89xx 3G is released. That's the one for me without question.
    sent via BlackBerry 8310

ocanyc no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    @ terrapin,
    Great write up. I agree with your assessment, with special emphasis on the points above. After spending quite some time closely evaluating my unlocked Rogers Bold, I've already changed my plans to buy the AT&T version today. Instead, I've just returned to my 8310 as my main BlackBerry. The Bold just did not satisfy my needs. Its a good BlackBerry as usual, but didn't wow me.
    At this point the plan is to wait until the Curve 89xx 3G is released. That's the one for me without question.
    sent via BlackBerry 8310
    Great review by the OP.

I kind of already knew this device wasnt going to wow me, or be anything close to revolutionary but to go back to the curve? :/

psallee no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    243705F2
    Great post. I agree with everything you said. I think I pumped myself up so much I was expecting to play with it all night last night and once it was set up I was bored. It has great features and I'm glad I have it. Love the new feel of the email and the keyboard is great. Quick to get used to and i have had a curve.

For me, it wasn't so much that I was all pumped up about it, because that enthusiasm was killed off by all the delays. What caused me to give it up was the mediocre web experience. The difference in the way the browser acts in 3G vs Wifi (and I'm not comparing speeds). I knew going in what to expect for the most part & using it just confirmed what I knew, and did not wow me with it's ergonomics. That was the real draw for me, being larger I expected it to me more comfortable for my large hands, but it was just Ok. So as we all know sometimes less is more & that's how I feel about my much loved Curve 8310, for me it beats the Bold hands down. Fits in my pocket easily & does everything I want except 3G. I found both the still camera & video cam on the Bold to produce average clarity at best very disappointing. If I wanted an entertainment toy I would suggest the iPhone or iTouch. Far superior web experience.
    sent via BlackBerry 8310
    (Bold out- 8310 In)

(wap.pinstack.com)~

Karpfish24 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243fd52f
    I just got mine. It's big, it will take some getting used to. But the keyboard is amazing! When I played with the dummy a few days ago I didn't like it but the one of my actual phone is crazy! So far im liking this.

but it was just Ok. So as we all know sometimes less is more & that's how I feel about my much loved Curve 8310, for me it beats the Bold hands down. Fits in my pocket easily & does everything I want except 3G. I found both the still camera & video cam on the Bold to produce average clarity at best very disappointing. If I wanted an entertainment toy I would suggest the iPhone or iTouch. Far superior web experience.
    sent via BlackBerry 8310
    (Bold out- 8310 In)

(wap.pinstack.com)~

Holy cow, that post almost convinced me to save my money and stick to my curve. I might even just buy a new curve to hold me until the 8900 3G comes out on TMO. Besides everything thats mentioned, I just dont get a good vibe from ATT Hmm, thanks for that honest post.

DoubleDizzle no está en línea Stack level 2
    great post Terrapin.

i agree wholeheartedly, but i often wonder if the delay was brought on by AT&T and that they botched the sale/release of the Bold, and not RIM. the reason i say this, is because the Bold came out within a few weeks of the proposed release date for Canada, and other parts of the world, but it was the US that had to wait. what would make the AT&T version that much different from devices that were approved, manufactured, delivered, sold and functioning around the world.

everything that i've heard and seen from RIM and media agents north of the border, have suggested that those who own BlackBerry's probably wouldn't make the switch to an iPhone, but that iPhone users will be new to the smartphone market. chances are actually more likely for a user to go from an iPhone to the Bold, than to go from a Pearl/Curve/8800 to the iPhone. also, with the number of users around the world no the BlackBerry network, it's apparent that RIM has the smartphone market, or at least the business arena, covered.

Quote Originally Posted by ocanyc View Post
    Holy cow, that post almost convinced me to save my money and stick to my curve. I might even just buy a new curve to hold me until the 8900 3G comes out on TMO. Besides everything thats mentioned, I just dont get a good vibe from ATT Hmm, thanks for that honest post.
    Here's my take. First of all we all come from different perspectives and experiences. As someone who does the research up front, by the time any device (or sports car / my other vice) comes out, I pretty much know what to expect. Also when you've had the experiences that I have had, you learn that at the beginning, every new BlackBerry / iPhone / Ferrari / Aston Martin, whatever it might be is "Wowee the Very Best". Then after six months to a year as the newer model comes out, you read the long term road test, or you read some bloggers long term experience, or one of us here writing about our devices and you find out the REAL TRUTH. When the honeymoon is over and you've lived with it for 6 months, everything suddenly looks a bit different. The newness is worn, off , the press has moved on to the "next big thing" and you then know exactly what you have. So that concept in mind, due to my vast experience in this area, I can compress that evaluation time down nicely. I took one full day off, and really put the Bold through it's paces and like I said it's a very nice model with some great improvements. And yet head to head with my Curve 8310 for what I use it for (80 emails per day / Outlook calendar, tasks, contacts, notes, / sms / telephone & PinStack on WAP. For those tasks and as a phone that easily fits in my pocket in it's RexRegina leather clipless case, the Curve 8310 is a gem. The very first phone of any kind that I have used for an entire year even though I have 30 or 40 other brand new phones, and every other BlackBerry that is currently available to choose from. With two lines I can use one of the others and switch them up, but at the end of the day the fact that the 8310 is my favorite speaks volumes as to how good of a smartphone it truly is.

Here's my take. First of all we all come from different perspectives and experiences. As someone who does the research up front, by the time any device (or sports car / my other vice) comes out, I pretty much know what to expect. Also when you've had the experiences that I have had, you learn that at the beginning, every new BlackBerry / iPhone / Ferrari / Aston Martin, whatever it might be is "Wowee the Very Best". Then after six months to a year as the newer model comes out, you read the long term road test, or you read some bloggers long term experience, or one of us here writing about our devices and you find out the REAL TRUTH. When the honeymoon is over and you've lived with it for 6 months, everything suddenly looks a bit different. The newness is worn, off , the press has moved on to the "next big thing" and you then know exactly what you have. So that concept in mind, due to my vast experience in this area, I can compress that evaluation time down nicely. I took one full day off, and really put the Bold through it's paces and like I said it's a very nice model with some great improvements. And yet head to head with my Curve 8310 for what I use it for (80 emails per day / Outlook calendar, tasks, contacts, notes, / sms / telephone & PinStack on WAP. For those tasks and as a phone that easily fits in my pocket in it's RexRegina leather clipless case, the Curve 8310 is a gem. The very first phone of any kind that I have used for an entire year even though I have 30 or 40 other brand new phones, and every other BlackBerry that is currently available to choose from. With two lines I can use one of the others and switch them up, but at the end of the day the fact that the 8310 is my favorite speaks volumes as to how good of a smartphone it truly is.

Like you, this too is the first phone I've wanted to keep for so long(over a year). Also use it for similar tasks as you mention. Your evaluation was on a 3G network to boot.(I believe it was). And you still werent wow'ed? While I understand we all have different wow levels , I'll have to respect your evaluation and stick to my curve. I've tried to dump it way too many times to just come right back to it again.

Like you, this too is the first phone I've wanted to keep for so long(over a year). Also use it for similar tasks as you mention. Your evaluation was on a 3G network to boot.(I believe it was). And you still werent wow'ed? While I understand we all have different wow levels , I'll have to respect your evaluation and stick to my curve. I've tried to dump it way too many times to just come right back to it again.
    Yes believe me I tried to like the Bold, and yet one shouldn't have to "try and like" any phone. I paid full pop for this Bold thru Rogers and was determined to make it work for me. However that said I cannot force anything to work for me, if it does not meet my needs. I also lowered my expectations to the floor, but that just didn't make any difference. The Bold was simply a disappointment. Too many areas that were just average, like the camera and video cam. One major reason I made the purchase was it's 3G capability and it's WiFi. I'm fortunate to live in a super strong 3G area. So yes I was using it on 3G. In addition, I have over 7 other 3G smartphones to compare it too, each of those varies between 6 mo. old to 1 mo. old. So the point being that I have a good baseline from which to judge the Bold. I also use WiFi everywhere, everyday with my other phones and my ThinkPad laptop. In fact WiFi is my main connection to the internet. I have a T-1 line coming into my home with full WiFi throughout the house, both upstairs and downstairs. I also use T1 to WiFi at the office, Starbucks frequently, and in the Hotels I use when traveling for business. So as you can see WiFi is very important to me. The WiFi performance of the Bold was very poor. It would not stay connected reliably to any of the locations I cited above. I would log on and stay connected for random periods of time, so it's not as though it was defective. And to prove that it was not just mine, here is an excerpt from an article:
    " Wi-Fi could also be kind of finicky—it simply wouldn't connect sometimes, even though 10 million other devices sat pretty happily on my wireless network. Rebooting the router got it to hook up, but that's unacceptable.

Source

Yes believe me I tried to like the Bold, and yet one shouldn't have to "try and like" any phone. I paid full pop for this Bold thru Rogers and was determined to make it work for me. However that said I cannot force anything to work for me, if it does not meet my needs. I also lowered my expectations to the floor, but that just didn't make any difference. The Bold was simply a disappointment. Too many areas that were just average, like the camera and video cam. One major reason I made the purchase was it's 3G capability and it's WiFi. I'm fortunate to live in a super strong 3G area. So yes I was using it on 3G. In addition, I have over 7 other 3G smartphones to compare it too, each of those varies between 6 mo. old to 1 mo. old. So the point being that I have a good baseline from which to judge the Bold. I also use WiFi everywhere, everyday with my other phones and my ThinkPad laptop. In fact WiFi is my main connection to the internet. I have a T-1 line coming into my home with full WiFi throughout the house, both upstairs and downstairs. I also use T1 to WiFi at the office, Starbucks frequently, and in the Hotels I use when traveling for business. So as you can see WiFi is very important to me. The WiFi performance of the Bold was very poor. It would not stay connected reliably to any of the locations I cited above. I would log on and stay connected for random periods of time, so it's not as though it was defective. And to prove that it was not just mine, here is an excerpt from an article:
    " Wi-Fi could also be kind of finicky—it simply wouldn't connect sometimes, even though 10 million other devices sat pretty happily on my wireless network. Rebooting the router got it to hook up, but that's unacceptable.

Source

I understand, but the only question that remains is why do you suppose the Javelin would be so much better? Maybe you have inside info?

I understand, but the only question that remains is why do you suppose the Javelin would be so much better? Maybe you have inside info?
    It's rather simple really, because I have read all the specs, seen very clear pictures, review the FCC filings, and patents, and have a full understanding of what this phone is. I have zoomed the pictures up to greater than full size to inspect the key shape, the amount of space between them, and the keyboard. In my two year quest for the BlackBerry model with the best keyboard for me (notice I didn't say for everyone) I have become somewhat of a BB keyboard expert if you will. I own every model of BB sold since Jan 2006. Without going into all the details suffice to say that I prefer the keyboards in the style of the current Curve 83xx series. Regular shaped flat top keys, separated by spaces. The "other style" is the type like the 88xx series, and now the Bold have. Side by side keys, sculptured (look close) on the top which reduces the surface area that comes into contact with your finger. I type so fast that odd shaped sculptured keys do not work for me. Also I'm used to the regular keys as offered on the 7130, and the Curve. Even though it's a smaller keyboard and I have large hands, I can type without having to constantly look at the keyboard on a Curve. I cannot do that on an 88xx or Bold. However most people probably do not process the 60 to 80 emails a day that I do when in the field every week. So again, it's really a matter of personal preference. Back to the upcoming 89xx, it's designed as a direct replacement for the Curve, it's styling is stunning, it's size is ideal, and I like the smooth flush covered camera lens in the back. I predict, that it will outsell the Bold by a wide margin, just like the current Curve is the number one selling BB. At just $199 including 3G it will be a bargin. Well worth waiting for. If anyone wants a new Curve 8310 to get them by for the six months or so, until the 3G version is out, AT&T has them on sale at just $79.99. Quite a bargain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast