Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greetings! I just got my bold 9000 and am still waiting for my extended life ... BlackBerry Bold forum

eyeland1000 no está en línea Stack level 1

Improving battery life by disabling 3G

Advertisement

Greetings!

I just got my bold 9000 and am still waiting for my extended life battery. In the meantime if I select the PHONE ONLY status, ( and only turn on 3G when I want to check my email), will that significantly extend the battery life?

I have already done the obvious things like dim the backlighting to 20%, etc.

Thanks!

disturkis4u no está en línea Stack level 3
    3g won't do anything for checking your email... It enables faster web-browsing and simultaneous voice and data meaning if you are on the phone, your BBM, browser, and e-mails will still work. I don't think turning off the message rings will significantly change your battery life.. vibration takes more battery power
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    The above poster is correct. 3G does not do squat except for doing the Internet. Turning it off will do little to conserve your battery.

Why don't you just plug it in every night while you are sleeping?

WIth normal use your device should go the whole day with power to spare. If you can keep your hands off your device you might want to charge a little during the day but putting a clunker battery that is oversized on it would be my last option.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    My Bold gets through the day with plenty of power left in the battery then charge overnight. The only time is really runs down is when I am using the telenav GPS navigator for more than 4 hours at a time and talking on the phone then it needs a short recharge.

Turning off 3G would not help in this case. Normal use the Bold's battery is fine

BlownFuse no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20E28CE3
    I've noticed a huge increase in battery life when using 2G only.

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    But if your phone isnt searching for 3g service all the time, wouldnt that help ?

I take mine off the charger about 9 and go to work and listen to some music for a couple hours, and do a little browsing and such, and by 2 or 3 my battery is dead.. But im in an area with really poor 3g service and its always connecting and disconnecting and going to sos and then to edge. So i would think that it would help to just turn it off.
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

eyeland1000 no está en línea Stack level 1

Improved battery life?

Thanks, everyone. I must have a defective bold 9000 battery or else Id better check if the telnav is still on...cause by battery was dead by 2pm today after a full charge last nite,

The BIG aftermarket battery sure looks clunky. My old curve worked well and even with the big aftermarket battery wasnt that clunky.

Would it be w mistake to just go back to my curve? The battery life seemed longer. ( even the basic enclosed battery seemed to last longer tjhan the basic bold 9000 battery>

Thoughts?

rsammon977 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    219DFA34
    Don't go back! lol

The 3G can effect battery life in certain situations. If the phone has to work harder to get the signal, then it will use battery more. Biggest battery killer for me is background apps. Make sure they're closed. That being said, I have had to charge my battery midday. My solution was to plug it in whenever I could, so it was charged up when i couldn't

criminala no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownFuse View Post
    I've noticed a huge increase in battery life when using 2G only.
    same for me . Turning off wifi and 3g is a huge battery saver .

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeland1000 View Post
    Thanks, everyone. I must have a defective bold 9000 battery or else Id better check if the telnav is still on...cause by battery was dead by 2pm today after a full charge last nite,

The BIG aftermarket battery sure looks clunky. My old curve worked well and even with the big aftermarket battery wasnt that clunky.

Would it be w mistake to just go back to my curve? The battery life seemed longer. ( even the basic enclosed battery seemed to last longer tjhan the basic bold 9000 battery>

Thoughts?
    My thoughts are that you either have something running in the background or you have defective hardware.

You Blackberry, like most others here should get way better milage than you are getting. That is all.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

kayhites717 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!!
    Don't go back to your curve. The Bold is much better. Make sure u turn off wifi if u aren't using it. Also, your bluetooth (this is better for security reasons anyway) and make sure if u aren't using certain apps like your 3rd party messenger apps or Navigation apps, turn the off. It will save a ton on battery. I am CONSTANTLY on my bold. Messaging and browsing, and my battery will still last all day. I play games too, and I still have great battery! If u are still having problems after doing those things, u may be right, u might have a battery issue. Good luck! And give that curve to a friend! :d

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Stay with the Bold!! I visit the State Parks in West Texas a lot and I must admit that when there is zero cell coverage the battery dies quickly, since it is then continually searching, but the Bold battery outlasts my wife's 8700 and my daughters Curve, butthat might be because the carrier I use has slightly better cover than the one they use.

I love the Bold, plus it isa great phone for international travel

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    ive been on 2g only since the OS came out... its a moot point for my usage to have 3g. 2g gives me at least another day of use without having to charge. its really great... i dont see the benefit of faster speeds with the limitations of a smart phone. edge is really all you need.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by rashard View Post
    But if your phone isnt searching for 3g service all the time, wouldnt that help ?

I take mine off the charger about 9 and go to work and listen to some music for a couple hours, and do a little browsing and such, and by 2 or 3 my battery is dead.. But im in an area with really poor 3g service and its always connecting and disconnecting and going to sos and then to edge. So i would think that it would help to just turn it off.
    That is true, if the phone is searching for 3G all day for example and it's struggling to keep it or can't find it and remains on 2G it will drain the battery.

Another way to test that is to find an area you know for sure there is no 3G and leave 3G on all day. At the end of the day remember the Battery level.

Then go back to the same area and only have 2G enabled. At the end of the day look at the Battery level.

You will see by the end of the day a big difference in the battery.
    My Bold could go 3 days when on 2G. On the other hand when I had 3G enabled (i have no 3G service) my Battery was almost dead at the end of a day.

The phone constantly searching for 3G and not connecting to it will use the Battery.

Last edited by srl7741; 07-19-2009 at 10:32 PM.

jblaze no está en línea Stack level 1
    So, AT&T won't allow you to disable 3G on the current AT&T BB Bold OS. However, check out this thread, and you can do it manually, although it is a little bit of work.

I just got the Bold today, and my apartment gets perfect EDGE reception, but shaky 3G. When it is in 3G mode, the voice quality drops and calls drop. So, I switch to EDGE to enjoy perfect call quality.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/how...anding-207789/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast