ok so im a total noob when it comes to all the discussion about operating ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Jordanf1end no está en línea Stack level 2

im Confused about OS's

Advertisement

ok so im a total noob when it comes to all the discussion about operating systems. like im hearing things like .185 is better then the intial os that came with the bold (.167) so basically what im asking is what is so great about .185? and suppose when i wanna update it says the update is for TIM italy? im in america, does that mean my language changes into italian or my service changes as well?should i download the multilanguage one? like i see on the official os threads i see the os download then next to it says avea or singapore and i dont know what that means like does my languages and service change or something? please help im so confused. Thanks

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    I'm not sure what the difference is between those two versions of 4.5 or 4.6 or whatever they are, but what I can say is that no you don't need to worry about where the OS came from or what carrier it is for as long as you delete the vendor.xml file you could have an OS from japan and it would still show english and work on your phone.
    Last edited by luciferseamus; 12-15-2008 at 03:33 AM.
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

thanks! so it doesnt change anything on my plan or my service? what are common reasons ppl upgrade there os?

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Some of the reasons people upgrade OS is to fix bugs that the previous OS may have had, some OS upgrades bring new features ex: 4.5 allows you to stream radio where as 4.2 didn't. It all depends on what you value as a bb user

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Mr D no está en línea Stack level 3
    The OS's are like firmware... if that makes any sense or isn't obvious already.
    REVIEW: SEIDIO HOLSTER, BACK DOOR, RUBBERIZED CASE, BEST SKINS EVER!

Contains A LOT of pictures and if you have any questions, let me know!

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    Think of it like Windows

If you are doing an upgrade from 4.2 to 4.5, it is like moving from XP to Vista

If you are doing a point upgrade, .167 to .185 then you are doing Windows updates to patch the operating system.

dean0uga no está en línea Stack level 3
    basically the new updated OS's are generally more efficient; use less battery life, run applications more smoothly, fix small problems that have been discovered/glitches, update security features, add new features[sometimes], etc. Hope this helps

Thanks guys! i have a better insight of it now!

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    Since you have an 8310 using 4.2, I suggest you do the upgrade to 4.5

It will add a video camera and HTML email to your Curve.

Definitely a worthy upgrade.