Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Originally Posted by KriK So after being begged and cajoled I decided to take apart ... BlackBerry Bold forum

mikadad no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    just ask

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by KriK View Post
    So after being begged and cajoled I decided to take apart my Bold again and document it this time.
    Before Starting:

1. Esure you have a clean and well lit workspace. There are a lot of small peices and screws in your Bold and it would be really unfortunate if you lost any of them.
    2. Make sure you have the following tools: Dull Xacto knife (this is to open your phone. You may also use a plastic tool or something you are comfortable with.), T7 screwdriver (in good condition so you don’t strip your screws.), scotch tape, a pick, and a pair of needle nosed tweezers.

To Begin:
    • Remove the SIM card, battery door and battery and place out of the way.

• On the back remove all six screws. (All screws are the same size so don’t worry about mixing them up.)
    • IMPORTANT!: There is usually a small white sticker covering one or more of your screws. This is a warranty sticker, if it is damaged it will indicate that you have tampered with your device. This sticker can be removed if you take care and remove it with your exacto knife. (Slide the knife right under the sticker and lift it all as one piece.)

• Once you have removed the screws you can easily remove the mid plate. Be cautious when doing this if you are using a tool to help lift it out of the bezel. There are flex cables and some small chips on both the midplate and the main board that can be damaged.

• At this point make sure the memory card is removed from the memory card slot.

• Next is the hardest part. Remove the main board from the bezel. When you do this watch the headphone jack and the charging jack, these both stick out into the bezel.

• Gently pry the plastic of the bezel away from the headphone jack and the use a pick or your dull exacto knife to lever the board out.

• The board should slide out bottom first. The top of the screen is behind the bezel screw slots.
    • When you remove the main board make sure you put it on a clean surface.
    • Take the manufacturer bezel and gently remove the keypad from the bezel.

• Place the bezel and keypad aside and focus on the main board again.

• The trackball is in a small silver housing that must be replaced so be careful when you remove it.
    • When you remove the trackball housing use a small pair of tweezers and don’t pry the clips too much. You will need to reconnect the clips later.

• Gently pry up the release clips for the trackball.

• Below you can see the trackball without the housing. This trackball can just be removed by just lifting it out.

• Swap out your trackball and replace the housing carefully.
    • Switch to the manufacturer bezel to remove the buttons etc.
    • At the top of the bezel is a small screen. Remove this screen gently using whichever tool is most comfortable to you. (I used a small pair of tweezers.)

• Remove the buttons from the inside of the bezel. This should be easy, don’t forget the cover for the micro SD card and the two small silver pieces at the bottom sides of the bezel, (these pieces are the connections for the desktop chargers.)

• When you put the pieces into the new bezel you will likely have to tape them temporarily. (Don’t worry we will remove the tape before we are done.)

• Replace the keypad from your old bezel into the new one.

• Once you have taped the buttons in replace the main board into the new bezel. (Make sure the tape for your buttons is sticking out so you can remove the tape when the board is in.)
    • One thing to note is I had a little bit of a difficult time with the cross piece in the front of the bezel fitting in above the keypad. I solved this by removing and replacing it again. (Wiggle it a bit if you have to.)

• Don’t forget to work the bezel around the headphone and charging connectors.

• Now it’s easy from here!
    • Remove the tape strips.

• Replace the midplate.
    • Replace all six screws.
    • Don’t screw the screws too tight! This will crack your bezel and possibly your LCD. In the same token don’t leave them too loose because you may get squeaking and the screws may fall out.

Voila

Congratulations! Replace your SIM card, battery and battery door and you are done!

Great write up, how hard was it to get to 2 contacts in the corners? I have everything else done but that...makes me a bit leary...

YAY I GOT IT....THANKS
    Last edited by mikadad; 12-31-2008 at 01:35 AM.
    Michael

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Great pictorial...one that I have no doubt I'll be referencing if I do decide to swap out the bezel on my Bold.

~via Blackberry Bold (wap.pinstack.com)~

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    There's a screen for the microphone hole too...

Great write and pics!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    my black trackball and bezel should arrive this week (thanks to ganns1980 ) and this tutorial will be a HUGE help! thank you so much KriK!

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    Wow, very detailed. I would love to give it a try.

stnkyq2 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    IMTHTG
    I changed the Bezel, and the trackball to Black....... Looks GREAT, and thank you to your post I was able to get it done...
    "A clear cut vision is the best path to success.. persistence is the vehicle you arrive in..." -Rev. Run

Crackberry @ddict for LIFE..........

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    my black trackball and bezel should arrive this week (thanks to ganns1980 ) and this tutorial will be a HUGE help! thank you so much KriK!
    LOL, well, I guess there's no need for the pm I sent you with the link to this thread!
    Proof of absence is not absence of proof.

sdbob no está en línea Stack level 1
    Where can I get a bezel and trackball?
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Skier87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
    Where can I get a bezel and trackball?
    Check out http://cnn.cn/shop/

PIN/ID
    ATA
    ok, im stuck.

got everything changed out, but the middle bar across the front face plate/bezel won't fit into the skinny slot between the trackball/keys and the screen ... any thoughts?

PIN/ID
    ATA
    ok, got it done ... boy that was a bugger to squeeze in but all's well

actually easier than changing the faceplate on the curve!

KriK no está en línea Stack level 3
    Lol. Great job Cherri I have done about 8 swaps on Bolds now and I have found some are much easier than others. Did you get the buttons too? Or just the Bezel? I've been wondering if anyone has figured out how to put in the battery door release, because it comes without the spring...

Anyhow, enjoy your black Bold! (I will be posting pics of my Javelin trackball and bezel swap this week and if all goes well the Storm next week!)

Krik

~ sent with Krik's 8900 ~

chaos.theorist no está en línea Stack level 2

I finally took the plunge

I did the black bezel swap yesterday - it was relatively simple. Just have to take your time and be gentle. I got the black buttons as well...looks good. I really prefer the look of the device much more with the black bezel...

MPM01 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249D8977
    Excellent walk through. Valuabe info. Bump for posperity

PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by KriK View Post
    Lol. Great job Cherri I have done about 8 swaps on Bolds now and I have found some are much easier than others. Did you get the buttons too? Or just the Bezel? I've been wondering if anyone has figured out how to put in the battery door release, because it comes without the spring...

Anyhow, enjoy your black Bold! (I will be posting pics of my Javelin trackball and bezel swap this week and if all goes well the Storm next week!)

Krik

~ sent with Krik's 8900 ~
    i got the black trackball and the black bezel and the black unbranded bottom. about the keyboard .. i just went back to look at cnn.cn and mine looks the same as the one on there ... is the rogers keyboard different?

i absolutely LOVE the way this looks! i can't really think of anything else i'd do to it i almost don't want to put a skin on it but i use a black one when I leave the house.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast