Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So after being begged and cajoled I decided to take apart my Bold again and ... BlackBerry Bold forum

KriK no está en línea Stack level 3

How to: Bold - Bezel and Trackball swap

Advertisement

So after being begged and cajoled I decided to take apart my Bold again and document it this time.
    Before Starting:
    1. Esure you have a clean and well lit workspace. There are a lot of small peices and screws in your Bold and it would be really unfortunate if you lost any of them.
    2. Make sure you have the following tools: Dull Xacto knife (this is to open your phone. You may also use a plastic tool or something you are comfortable with.), T7 screwdriver (in good condition so you don’t strip your screws.), scotch tape, a pick, and a pair of needle nosed tweezers.

To Begin:
    • Remove the SIM card, battery door and battery and place out of the way.
    • On the back remove all six screws. (All screws are the same size so don’t worry about mixing them up.)
    • IMPORTANT!: There is usually a small white sticker covering one or more of your screws. This is a warranty sticker, if it is damaged it will indicate that you have tampered with your device. This sticker can be removed if you take care and remove it with your exacto knife. (Slide the knife right under the sticker and lift it all as one piece.)
    • Once you have removed the screws you can easily remove the mid plate. Be cautious when doing this if you are using a tool to help lift it out of the bezel. There are flex cables and some small chips on both the midplate and the main board that can be damaged.
    • At this point make sure the memory card is removed from the memory card slot.
    • Next is the hardest part. Remove the main board from the bezel. When you do this watch the headphone jack and the charging jack, these both stick out into the bezel.
    • Gently pry the plastic of the bezel away from the headphone jack and the use a pick or your dull exacto knife to lever the board out.

• The board should slide out bottom first. The top of the screen is behind the bezel screw slots.
    • When you remove the main board make sure you put it on a clean surface.
    • Take the manufacturer bezel and gently remove the keypad from the bezel.
    • Place the bezel and keypad aside and focus on the main board again.
    • The trackball is in a small silver housing that must be replaced so be careful when you remove it.
    • When you remove the trackball housing use a small pair of tweezers and don’t pry the clips too much. You will need to reconnect the clips later.
    • Gently pry up the release clips for the trackball.
    • Below you can see the trackball without the housing. This trackball can just be removed by just lifting it out.
    • Swap out your trackball and replace the housing carefully.
    • Switch to the manufacturer bezel to remove the buttons etc.
    • At the top of the bezel is a small screen. Remove this screen gently using whichever tool is most comfortable to you. (I used a small pair of tweezers.)
    • Remove the buttons from the inside of the bezel. This should be easy, don’t forget the cover for the micro SD card and the two small silver pieces at the bottom sides of the bezel, (these pieces are the connections for the desktop chargers.)
    • When you put the pieces into the new bezel you will likely have to tape them temporarily. (Don’t worry we will remove the tape before we are done.)
    • Replace the keypad from your old bezel into the new one.
    • Once you have taped the buttons in replace the main board into the new bezel. (Make sure the tape for your buttons is sticking out so you can remove the tape when the board is in.)
    • One thing to note is I had a little bit of a difficult time with the cross piece in the front of the bezel fitting in above the keypad. I solved this by removing and replacing it again. (Wiggle it a bit if you have to.)
    • Don’t forget to work the bezel around the headphone and charging connectors.
    • Now it’s easy from here!
    • Remove the tape strips.
    • Replace the midplate.
    • Replace all six screws.
    • Don’t screw the screws too tight! This will crack your bezel and possibly your LCD. In the same token don’t leave them too loose because you may get squeaking and the screws may fall out.
    Voila

Congratulations! Replace your SIM card, battery and battery door and you are done!

pinpoint no está en línea Themes Pro
    PIN/ID
    ask me.
    Legendary!
    dcrin3.com
    One Second Coming
    1s-
    Tour - 9/6/9 | ~3pm

You will all notice that I'm missing my little white sticker from my screw. Yeah... I screwed that one up. (Pardon the pun.)

I tore it the first time I removed it.

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    Nice walk through. There's also a video on youtube, but this is much more detailed.

ccostel no está en línea Stack level 3
    Fantastic job.

stnkyq2 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    IMTHTG
    Great job..... I don't know if I would be that BOLD to do that.... I have with my curve, but that's was to easy!
    "A clear cut vision is the best path to success.. persistence is the vehicle you arrive in..." -Rev. Run

Crackberry @ddict for LIFE..........

novalovr66 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249E4BA7
    Quote Originally Posted by KriK View Post
    So after being begged and cajoled I decided to take apart my Bold again and document it this time.
    • When you put the pieces into the new bezel you will likely have to tape them temporarily. (Don’t worry we will remove the tape before we are done.
    I actually heated a T-6 screwdriver and melted the tabs that the buttons attach too. It may take a little more time but it alleviates the need to use tape.

PIN/ID
    AskMe

darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    retired
    great post ... its not easy getting that main board out... and harder [for me anyway] to get it back in....but it can be done.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Thanks krik! This is great.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by novalovr66 View Post
    [/LIST]I actually heated a T-6 screwdriver and melted the tabs that the buttons attach too. It may take a little more time but it alleviates the need to use tape.
    This is a great idea! Thanks.

cestlavie77 no está en línea Stack level 3
    [quote=KriK;976605]So after being begged and cajoled I decided to take apart my Bold again and document it this time.

Thanks for the post...... I dropped my Bold this morning and now it has a scratch on the silver bezel at the top..... I'm broken-hearted!! It's not a huge scratch, but big enough to drive me mental! I'm going to have to replace it and this walk-through will be great to have during the process! Thanks for taking the time to do such a detailed post!

I don't suppose you want to sell your "chrome" bezel?? haha

alexvega no está en línea Stack level 1
    nice, thanks!

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ thanks for the great walk-through! I don't think I'll be doing this when I get a bold. Lol.

Rob113 no está en línea Stack level 2
    CAN I PAY you to do this for me im SCAREEEEE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast