How do I get a theme from my old 8820, that I paid for, on ... BlackBerry Bold forum

janie215 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256A910E

How do I?

Advertisement

How do I get a theme from my old 8820, that I paid for, on to my new Bold?

I also have a problem with my wi-fi connection at home, the device recognises it but never connects to it. could it be my Belkin router?

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    The theme may or may not work. If you have it on your P-C you can try to add it using DM. If not, you may have to go back to the source to see if it's downloadable for your Bold.

On wi-fi, you should be able to go through the procedure on you BB icon - "set up wi-fi" or something like that, locate and connect to your router - are you trying that from you Bold?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    256A910E
    Ive since downloaded the new desktop manager that came with my new Bold so dont have any of the old apps.

With the Wi-Fi it does recognise it and I can connect to it but as soon as I come out of the connection window it disappears and there is no connection.

Janie, themes that you've bought, if you got the "zip" version, with the alx file for loading using DM, wouldn't have anything to do with the new DM upgrade. If you ever had them on your p-c they should still be there.

Do you see a UMA in the upper right of the display when you first "come out" of the set up and then it goes away? What disappears exactly.

Also realize I'm flying somewhat blind here - I don't have a Bold but I use wi-fi on a curve a lot.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    256A910E
    Hi there, I was a noodle and deleted most of the apps of my desktop once id downloaded them - stupid I know.

No i dont have a UMA although I did with my old 8820. Im getting so frustrated now as i also keep losing my orange signal. Obviously the bold isnt as good as the 8820 for picking it up. If i go outside in the garden then I get the orange signal back again.

thanks for your advice

Janie, Sounds like you've got more issues than just wi-fi. I hope you get them worked out - actually you should be able to use the wi-fi even though you're losing your Orange signal but 1st things 1st I guess. We'll be here if you need more help and maybe a Bold user can get involved and help you out too.

A word of advice - once you get operational, take backups of your BB fairly often using DM (and let how often be decided by you based on how many changes you make, etc.) - at least once a month...and, save those p-c applications in a special BB folder - you can always get rid of them when you no longer need them.

PIN/ID
    256A910E
    Thanks for the advice, i will definately follow it!

Im getting really brassed off now as I've been so excited about getting my bold and all these problems and issues are spoiling it for me.

At least Ive got my e mail push system working now so Im moving ever closer

Keep at it, item by item - little successes all add up to big victories in the long run. Good luck.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Besides there are many of us in here who will be glad to help, and even some who have Bolds, not sure where they are right now. . but rest assured there is help here on PS!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I am HERE lol sorry was busy in a couple meetings.
    So to answer your questions :

How do I get a theme from my old 8820, that I paid for, on to my new Bold?
    Your theme that you purchased was meant for the 8820 and therefore wont work with the Bold. Period. Now you can request that the company gives you the free Bold version when its out but I doubt it will happen.
    When you buy a car and buy Rims made for it and you change cars, they stop working right ? same thing the RIM place (lol) wont give you new Rims for your new car.

I also have a problem with my wi-fi connection at home, the device recognises it but never connects to it. could it be my Belkin router?
    Try connecting to other routers, if it still does it Reload the Bold OS, if it still does it you might have a deffective wifi antenna
    Last edited by ranxoren; 09-30-2008 at 05:31 PM.

PIN/ID
    256A910E
    Thanks so much for all your help. I'm quite a novice at this BB thing - although I'm learning all the time and even managed to help someone the other day - result!

My 8820 wouldn't connect either to the router (although that recognised it too) so I'm pretty sure it must be a router fault, although works fine with my laptop. Maybe a compatability issue?

Janie, There's a thread here that's got a lot info about connecting to you router - it's a long one but you might try to read through it. It came out before the Bold but it still might help you. I didn't realize until your previous post that your 8820 wouldn't connect too.

My own experience starts around post #80 (page 6) and goes for a few posts. See if there's anything in there that can help before you give up on your router.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by janie215 View Post
    Thanks so much for all your help. I'm quite a novice at this BB thing.
    My 8820 wouldn't connect either to the router (although that recognised it too) so I'm pretty sure it must be a router fault, although works fine with my laptop. Maybe a compatability issue?
    youre welcome and yeah read the thread jblackfish linked you to for your router.
    But like i already said trying another router is a quick and easy way to get an idea of where the problem is coming from

Quote Originally Posted by janie215 View Post
    - although I'm learning all the time and even managed to help someone the other day - result!
    And thats the beauty of the stacks! glad to see youre enjoying your stay here !!

JNewt no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    309f4bco
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i need to know how to change the size of a pic and get it sharper for a theme I am trying to make .... Any help would be great. Thanks. Pin is in profile