So I go to school at GA Tech and some of our rooms have some ... BlackBerry Bold forum

gatechfireblade no está en línea Stack level 3

Hotspot login question

Advertisement

So I go to school at GA Tech and some of our rooms have some horrible reception. I would like to use the wifi of the phone, but it gets confused sometimes. I'm guessing this is because once I connect to the SSID I have to login with my account and password before I can get internet access. I assumed that this is where the hotspot login would come in handy because its essentially the same thing as having to login to a service when using a hotspot service. I have tried to find out how this hotspot login works, but have had no luck. Anyone know how to set this up or if it is even possible to do what I want it to do?
    Mechanical Engineering
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    2004 Honda CBR 1000RR "Fireblade"
    2006 Yamaha R6

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    I do not use WiFi except at home and once set up as a "trusted" site, I do not have to keep logging on. I simply turn on my Bold's WiFi and it logs onto my network ready to go.

I would assume you should be able to do the same at your school.

Connecting to the network ssid is not the problem. Its that there is a login page to access the internet similar to one that you would get if you were trying to use an ATT hotspot.

Skier87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I know exactly what you mean and will have to deal with that too when I get my Bold, so I am curious to know if you are able to figure it out.

So I think I figured out the hotspot login thing. The blackberry internet browser will not use wifi unless it can get a connection to the internet. So if you have to login to a session before you can get internet connection, it will never switch to wifi browsing. After you connect to your wifi network that requires a hotspot login, you can go to the wifi setup and click "hotspot login". This essentially forces a wifi browsing session in which you can login to your hotspot. Once you login and blackberry internet browser senses an internet connection, it will switch over to wifi. I am thinking that this is the sole purpose of the hotspot login feature. I was hoping it would be able to store my login so I wouldn't have to do it every time I wanted to connect, but I don't think that's the case. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I'm glad you figured it out. Just to clarify, you were able to use the wifi after doing the hotspot login?

Yup. You just have to use the hotspot login otherwise the browser will not open a wifi connection to even take you to the login screen.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Cool, thanks!