This may be a stupid question so let me apologize in advance. Have had the ... BlackBerry Bold forum

EricScott no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Hotspot Browser vs. Internet Browser

This may be a stupid question so let me apologize in advance. Have had the Bold for a couple weeks and am very happy with it. Just started messing around w/ wifi the last few days (have a pretty solid 3G signal in most places so haven't really needed it) and this is my first BB w/ wifi. When I go into my Browser options it lists 4 different browsers under "Browser Configuration":

Hotspot Browser
    Blackberry Browser
    Internet Browser
    MediaNet

Under Options / Advanced Options / Browser I have my defaults set as follows:

Default browser config: Internet Browser
    Default MDS browser config: BlackBerry Browser
    Default WAP browser config: MediaNet

For my Internet Browser and HotSpot browsers I have "Browser Identification" set to "Internet Explorer", for the others I have it set to "BlackBerry" - this lets me view the real HTML web pages on most sites (or at least that's my understanding).

Ok so now here's my question - do I need to be in the Hotspot Browser to be using WiFi? In other words if I have WiFi turned on and I just click on a regular bookmark (which I have set to use the Internet Browser) will it be using Wifi or will it be using my regular wireless connection (e.g. EDGE or 3G)?

I'm hoping that if Wifi is on, it just automatically gives you the added speed regardless of which browser you are using. If that is the case, then what is the point of the Hotspot browser.

And if that's not the case (e.g. I need to be in the Hotspot browser), how do I manually get in there? I have separate browser icons for the Internet Browser and for MediaNet but that's it.

While we are on this topic, I always wondered what the BlackBerry browser does vs. the Internet Browser (MediaNet I know is AT&T's ghetto WAP browser which I never use).

Sorry for the longwinded post but I just want to make sure I am understanding things correctly. BB really doesn't make this stuff easy. It took me a while to figure out the "Browser Identification" settings.

Thanks in advance.

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    dont know but what you could do and what I would do to test it is turn off your ATT Network connection and then turn on your WIFI and see if it connects ...that will tell u if it uses WIFI or Network signal
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

ygthb no está en línea Stack level 2
    I am trying to figure this out as well.

I have 2 browsers available on the applications screen (I have seen screen shots with 4)

MediaNet (Has WAP inside Globe)
    Browser (has ring around globe)

I have set my defaults under Options:Advanced Options:Browser to
    Default Browser Configuration : Internet Browser
    Default MDS Browser Configuration : BlackBerry Browser
    Default WAP browser configuration: Media Net

Anyone have a clue as to what any of this is? and what are the fastest settings?
    Last edited by ygthb; 11-25-2008 at 07:05 PM. Reason: accidental submit
    ART

Mot 7868 -> Mot v60 ->
    TREO 650 -> TREO 750 (2d) -> TREO 680 (2m) ->
    BB 8100 -> BOLD

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    As far as I know if you are using the internet browser without a data plan and wifi only the setting needs to be set to hotspot browser. If you have a data plan you need your setting set to internet browser. I had issues connecting to the internet when I upgraded my OS and the issue was my browser was set to blackberry browser instead of internet browser.
    Looking for Wallpapers or Icons for making themes? I can help!

Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffallen8 View Post
    As far as I know if you are using the internet browser without a data plan and wifi only the setting needs to be set to hotspot browser. If you have a data plan you need your setting set to internet browser. I had issues connecting to the internet when I upgraded my OS and the issue was my browser was set to blackberry browser instead of internet browser.
    Interesting...that makes sense.

Pretty sure the BlackBerry Browser is only for the BES; that being said, I'm not sure what it does different from the Internet Browser - maybe it's more secure somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by ice44 View Post
    dont know but what you could do and what I would do to test it is turn off your ATT Network connection and then turn on your WIFI and see if it connects ...that will tell u if it uses WIFI or Network signal
    That's exactly what I did and if I turn off my mobile connection and just leave Wifi on I was able to use the Internet Browser just fine (and it was quick) which suggests that Wifi works no matter which browser you are in.

If I turned the wireless connection back on, the speed seemed to be the same which leads me to believe that Wifi will take precedence over the 3G connection.

Would be helpful if other could confirm this as well.

wchon no está en línea Stack level 1
    HELP!!! I only get the hotspot browser. I don't have the option to change to the other browser therefore I can't access the EDGE only wifi. Can someone help me with this problem. I have a BB Bold by rogers unlocked in the t-mobile network.
    Thank you in advanced

Aimee187 no está en línea Stack level 1
    i had the same problem with my blackberry 8900. i tried everything nothing worked. so after being all frustrated i pulled the battery in hopes that would help. nothing happened till 5 or so min later i had an internet browser... yeah!!! so have you tried pulling your battery out?

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by wchon View Post
    HELP!!! I only get the hotspot browser. I don't have the option to change to the other browser therefore I can't access the EDGE only wifi. Can someone help me with this problem. I have a BB Bold by rogers unlocked in the t-mobile network.
    Thank you in advanced
    Go to setup>email>service books, then resend your service books. This should get you you internet browser back.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~