Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Originally Posted by ranxoren i was reading somewhere this morning that ATT finally released the ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    i was reading somewhere this morning that ATT finally released the service books and that to get the app all you have to do is head over to the mobile blackberry website from your device and download it OTA
    Haha, I was going to post the same thing. Point your browser to www.mobile.blackberry.com and it's on the front page. I think Yahoo Messenger is out, too.

ag4vr no está en línea Stack level 1
    I saw where AT&T is pushing the service books for AIM and ICQ...so you should be able to download it from RIM and get it to work...

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro
    Hey folks. In case you haven't heard, AT&T has finally released the service books for ALL the RIM IM Clients - including AIM!
    See this post.
    JerryD

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala View Post
    Hey folks. In case you haven't heard, AT&T has finally released the service books for ALL the RIM IM Clients - including AIM!
    See this post.
    Posted yesterday but great find and great written post !

asapp no está en línea Stack level 2
    Really dumb question (new to this) what is AIM? and why would I need it?

AIM = AOL Instant Messenger.
    JerryD

MsPRN81 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A02B69
    hello, att has actually released service books to support both AIM and YIM yesterday. I actually did this yesterday and was successful at it.

If you delete your prior messenger app and re-download straight from the mobile.blackberry.com site, it should be able to work without tweaking your phone or DM.

Hutzie no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24a05f22

Lightbulb AIM on Bold

If you have att all you have to do is go to wireless.att.com and go into shop.
    In the application store you will find a program for the BOLD called Instant Messanging. It is a free program that once downloaded goes directly into your "download" folder. This gives you the access to AIM, yahoo messenger, and windows live messanger.

You can also find the program in media net if you want to do it all from your phone.

PittsDriver no está en línea Stack level 3
    That uses text and the actual AIM program is much better. OZ sucks.
    A&P.
    Aerobatic Pilot.
    PIN:249E6C28 feel free to add

Thumbs down Look before you leap! Know before you speak!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hutzie View Post
    If you have att all you have to do is go to wireless.att.com and go into shop.
    In the application store you will find a program for the BOLD called Instant Messanging. It is a free program that once downloaded goes directly into your "download" folder. This gives you the access to AIM, yahoo messenger, and windows live messanger.

You can also find the program in media net if you want to do it all from your phone.
    STOP!

The so called "free instant messaging" program Hutzie describes above is neither free NOR instant!

The program is called OZ Instant Messenger, and it uses SMS RELAY to communicate with the IM Networks - it does NOT connect directly to them! If you do NOT have an SMS Text Messaging package, this "free" program will cost you TEN CENTS for EVERY MESSAGE you send OR recevie! I wrote this up well over a year ago.

Happily, AT&T has FINALLY allowed RIM's truly free Instant Messenger clients available after years of not providing the service books needed to allow them to work.

Simply go to http://www.blackberry.com/instantmessaging using your BlackBerry's Browser, and click the [Search] button.

Your BlackBerry will be scanned and a list of Instant Messaging clients available for your device's model and carrier will be listed with OTA Installation links. On AT&T this now includes ALL the Instant Messaging clients - AIM, Yahoo, Windows Live Messenger, ICQ, and Google Talk.

For some reason they don't count Facebook or MySpace, but you can find links for them as well as direct links for the IM clients in my Mini Version Tracker list.
    Last edited by jdellasala; 11-19-2008 at 01:03 AM.
    JerryD

Phylum no está en línea Stack level 1
    Has anyone been able to connect to the AIM & MSN networks using their Bold on TMO? I'm getting the 'Service not enabled for this handheld' message when I try to connect. I had the same problem with my TMO branded 8800 (on TMO). I scoured the net and found some TMO service books which I loaded onto my device. Yay - all chat apps work. However, when I tried using those same service books, yes the chcat programs work, but I couldn't make use of all the Bold had to offer, MMS most importantly. I called TMO and RIM but had no luck getting the correct service books sent to my device to send MMS'.
    SO, following the ever popular threads on how to get all features (WAP MMS etc) working on TMO, nearly everything works except for AIM & MSN. (YM! works fine btw.) I tried to be slick and not unload the browser to get tshe service books loaded but that naturally broke MMS so I had to revert to the original instructions. (which are fantastic)
    Sure, I could buy JiveTalk or one of the other many applications, but since I know
    it works, I'd like to get it working.
    Any ideas or useful suggestions on how to work through/around this problem?

Does anyone have a 'super service books' file that contains vital/popular service books to get everything working?

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by asapp View Post
    Really dumb question (new to this) what is AIM? and why would I need it?
    It's a messaging program/application kind of like ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, Google Talk, MSN Messenger, etc. You don't necessarily need it, but if you don't have a text messaging plan, you could use AIM to chat with your friends.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123