Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by HyperM3 I have to say that google maps on ATT has had ... BlackBerry Bold forum

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
    I have to say that google maps on ATT has had me spot on everytime I checked it. Even in my house right now its dead on.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I can not even think that my Bold GPS would work in the house when I have sat under open sky for over an hour and not found one single satellite. I can turn my Garmin handheld on and it locks onto 7-8 in less that 10 seconds.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    My wife has an iPhone, using Google Maps, and hers is dead-on every single time. No matter where we have been, inside the house, a rural area, or in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, it's always exactly right.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    The iPhone may use cell tower triangulation as well as GPS to get the accuracy

I fail to see how a program can tell you what club to use based on GPS.

The GPS will tell you how far you are from the pin if the golf course is in the database

But how will it know what kind of golfer you are?

What if you can't hit that far with the club it recommends?

PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    It will not tell you what club to use, only the distance. Distance is what each uses to determine what club they need to hit. I definitely wouldn't use a Blackberry to improve my golf game, unless I was going to use it to trend my score, but not for distance.

I would get me a Sky Caddy for that or just use the markers in or near the fairway.

hotice_ no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    The iPhone may use cell tower triangulation as well as GPS to get the accuracy
    It does and in theory, Blackberry also uses Assisted-GPS, although the source might be different.

From what I've read, RIM uses a central server that contains the location of cell towers for triangulation purposes to help speed up pinpointing your location. It's very fast (depending where you are, I've seen 3 seconds update !!)

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4

Correction

Quote Originally Posted by KalebsDad78 View Post
    It will not tell you what club to use, only the distance. Distance is what each uses to determine what club they need to hit. I definitely wouldn't use a Blackberry to improve my golf game, unless I was going to use it to trend my score, but not for distance.

I would get me a Sky Caddy for that or just use the markers in or near the fairway.
    I stand corrected. I mis-read his post

Personally I just use the markers on the fairway. Even if I am in the rough, you can still see the markers on the fairway to get an idea of how far you are from the pin.

PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    I don't think any BB device is ready to be used for the purposes of obtaining, down to the yard, or meter, how far away you are from the flag.

The BB is made to provide directions from point A to point B. I'm sure it will get there soon enough but until then, you'll need to use a more specialized device for that purpose.

xaroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30544A9E
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Always 3-5 meters for me

sgardiner no está en línea Stack level 2
    Well, In case anyone cares... Now my GPS refreshes VERY accurate. 1.63 m last time I checked it. I can't explain what was going on a two days ago. Maybe it was the weather. The only difference I see is now I'm reaching 9-10 satellites...which of course explains the new more accurate readings!

sgardiner no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by KalebsDad78 View Post
    I don't think any BB device is ready to be used for the purposes of obtaining, down to the yard, or meter, how far away you are from the flag.

The BB is made to provide directions from point A to point B. I'm sure it will get there soon enough but until then, you'll need to use a more specialized device for that purpose.
    I think the GPS chip in the BB should be just as accurate as any other smart phone gps chip. If the "Intellagolf" software is produced to be installed on smartphones, why shouldnt there be an expectation for it to work accurately enough to decide which iron to use for an approach shot to the green? You dont need "down to the yard" accuracy. There is usually a ten yard difference from iron to iron for most golfers. Therefore, If I can get an accuracy of 3-4 meters, I will know which club to select.
    Last edited by sgardiner; 11-18-2008 at 11:14 PM.

JCG3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    i use a puck for my GPS and Google maps hates it but BB Maps works with it quite well >10 satellites. it has the MKT chip which will get up to 51 channels. used to give 3-D view... so i use google for addresses and BB Maps for directions. haha. oh well it works great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12