Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I used Google maps for the first time yesterday, and it was pretty good in ... BlackBerry Bold forum

milz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    25701BC7

Google Maps Suck!

Advertisement

I used Google maps for the first time yesterday, and it was pretty good in getting me to my destination. The return home though was absolutely hell!! Google Maps loaded, but it wouldn't show my actual location, only as a map, with London indicated. Great-I KNOW I'm in London! I put in the address that I was heading back to, but it wouldn't download the directions.

I then got an error message saying something about checking data coverage, I had full service, my web browser worked fine. I did a few battery pulls but nothing. Frustrated, I attempted to navigate home by ear (which was not fun) still not giving up on the Google Maps. It would download the route...but then lose it again saying there was a problem with coverage.

After many wrong turns, frustration, rude words....I eventually made it home, (by which point GoogleMaps decided to tell me how to get home when I pulled up outside home), and swiftly removed the application from my BB. A useless application taking up valuable space.

Just wanted to rant a little, and share my experience. I think I'm just gonna pay Ł40 for TelMap, and use that. I've used it on a friends BB, and had my own trial, and I'm happy with it, so I'll just use that....plus it has voice navigation! Beats trying to read & drive!!

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I wouldn't give up on google map yet if I were you, I've been using google map since, I don't know, a while back and everything has been positive. I would try re-installing it. If you will look at google map's user's review for Blackberry, majority of it are positive. Good luck

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    Sometimes GMaps "hangs" for me. All my connections work, but for some reason it won't let me search or route. Weird.. but it's still too useful to delete. Just have some back ups.

goldenhours no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Never had any major glitches with GMaps. Been using it since February. It's a great FREE app!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    25701BC7
    I know it's free...but I don't have the patience for it. Besides I need it to talk! LOL!

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Sorry you had that experience. It actually had me going in the right direction when two gps units steered me wrong. I don't leave home without it.

sy32478 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Always have a backup plan.

In addition to a printed map, you may want to install and use BB Maps, AmazeGPS, or NAV4ALL. All free and the last two give voice directions.

PIN/ID
    25701BC7
    Nav4all was horrid! I'd never use it again! I've not heard of AmazeGPS before-I will have a look at that. Thanks!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Telenav (Alltel) works pretty good. Not familiar with Nav4all. I tried AmazeGPS some time back and, although it worked, it was VERY difficult to maneuver through the ap. I finally gave up because EVERY function took SO LONG to activate. Post back if you try it and it works better now.

THere's also the Garmin application that's new. It's $100 but, if it works well, it might be better than paying the $10 per month for the carrier's offerings. It has a 7-day trial - not very long but easy enough to try out.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

offthahorseceo no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    ill second telenav (at&t navigator)

it works great, has night mode, always tells me the fastest route, and doesnt think im going 8 states away or to canada all the time (<google maps)

BigHulkDiese no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22BF6200
    Never had any problem with Google maps here, loads fine and finds my location down to 3 meters.... not a problem.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    +1 on TeleNav......

Really like the application.

clayatx no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    there is really nothing better than google maps as far as map apps for the bb goes.

javatyger no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    I've been using google maps for a long time now, on several different devices. Its always worked great for me. I rely on it in Vancouver for transit information and has never let me down. Don't give up hope.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    25701BC7
    Amaze GPS was no good. It couldn't find my location, or an address I was trying to get to, even though I put in the postcode and street name...it would give me directions to somewhere totally random. Also, navigating in the application was no fun either....so....I'm just gonna go back to my original plan, and go with TelMap/TeleNac

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast