Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 44 of 44

Originally Posted by millerhe1968 where did you buy it? Cause most stores sell only new ... BlackBerry Bold forum

  1. #31
    TeriO's Avatar
    TeriO no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    278

    Advertisement



    Quote Originally Posted by millerhe1968 View Post
    where did you buy it? Cause most stores sell only new devices, cant speak on kiosks as I never buy from those as most of them are privately owned and only licensed to sell carrier devices and are not bound to the same rules as most corporate stores are.
    I bought my phone at my local corporate store. This is why it never even occurred to me to question if the device I was getting was new or not. I NEVER would have expected to spend $399.00 on a refurbished phone. For that kind of money, I have every reason to expect that the phone will not only work right, but will be new because I was told that it was new.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Have you tried going to your local store and explain your issue to them. I have done that and walked out with a brand new replacement.
    When I was on the phone with AT&T, this was the answer I was given- "Contact the story you bought it from". I am trying to decide now if it's worth it for me to do that. I know that there are a lot of people here who have a lot more experience with AT&T then I do, so I was wanting to get some advice before I went into talk with them about the issue. The warranty department is doing what they can to help me with the current problem that I am having with my phone: numerous dropped or failed calls, taking a long time to complete a process (the spinning clock), and randomly restarting it's self (it could be sitting on my desk, not been touched in an hour and suddenly it's going through a restart). With this being my 4th device, I am pretty sure that the situation will be elevated on AT&T's end, so I am not sure if there is anything to gain by going into my local store and complaining that the original phone that they sold me was a refurbished one. That's what I am hoping to get some guidance on here.

  2. #32
    GregGebhardt's Avatar
    GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by RedNightHawk View Post
    Before I'd posted the OP had already mentioned she'd initially been sold a refurb phone as new, and was on her fourth phone and still having issues.

    A number of people basically treated it like it was her fault that she was having issues and assumed she was simply unwilling to upgrade her software.
    My comments have been directed towards EricaJ1073 post (8th post in this thread) and NOT the OP. I have no problem in someone returning a phone for a defect but some will return 20 because they do not like the way the keyboard feels or a perceived creaking or what ever. This is what I am complaining about. My posts are aimed at EricaJ1073 and other users like them who are proud and think it is funny that they have run through so many phones for not real reason at all.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

  3. #33
    EricaJ1073's Avatar
    EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,420
    If you notice what I said at the end of my list, I said that I finally have a phone that works properly. It wasn't just for fun or games.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

  4. #34
    OzzieDog's Avatar
    OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    179
    The eight AT&T branded Bold's that I have had the first two were new both had between 4 and 5 random restarts per day. I had NO 3rd party software nothing just what came on the phone. The phone was running the original .167 so would you say that it was the phone, AT&T or something that I was doing? The next six were refurbished ones with these the problem was still there random restarts, screen freezing again no third party software, I tried all the betas and official releases that where out there still no help the problems were still there. When the "new" official release for AT&T .167 came out I tried it on number 8 the random restarts and dropped calls were still there. Then I tried something different I deleted the vendor xml and reinstalled "new" official .167 and have had only 1 random restart. I have found that next to the "new" .167 for AT&T the next best is .266.
    So my question again would be is it AT&T, the operating system, hardware issue or user or a combination of all? Just my opinion and now days that isnt worth much.

  5. #35
    thbassman's Avatar
    thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Posts
    10,235
    Ok guys everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to it. Apparently we have both sides represented here, but let's not lose track of the point. I personally have had ATT for about 10+ years(from SWBW). I also worked for them for 6 or more of those years. One thing I can tell you is true. If you can't be made happy by the person you talk to, then they have a boss, and that person has a boss, and that person.... And so on! I keep escalating, if neccessary until I am happy. I have been thru as many phones as Erica, not all BB, but my point is they will take care of you if you ask for service. Yeah they should offer to, but as you have read there are some ppls who fuss for fun. As a rep, it can condition you the wrong way and the lack of care begins. My point if you can be taken care of, sometimes you must ask, and maybe more than one person sometimes. Everyone has to report to someone, so you can be made happy, sometimes it just takes climbing that ladder until you reach success.

    Hope this helps...


    Thbassman
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    PIN/ID
    Apple
    Posts
    1,749
    OK, to any one who has been hear following the Bolds OS progression has learned that each device acts differantly to a certian OS(as do most berrys). So no OS is going to act the same on every device. As some have stated, they still have the original OS on their Bold and it works fine. No issues. Others, myself included have nothing but issues with .167(imo, this is the worst OS for the Bold). I agree that we as consumers shouldnt have to "make" a device work properlly, but it is what it is. To return 4 bolds because they were random restarting is obserd to me. obviouslly she is not the average consumer because she is a member of the stacks. All of the issues she is describing point to the OS. My question is what do you mean "latest OS", is this the latest OS from ATT. if so load .247 or .266 and i bet your issues will be resolved. if youve done this and you still have issues you might have a defected device. That doesnt mean that all the other ones you returned were defective but maybe this time you actually did get a defective one. I also agree that it seems a little scary to "mess" with the OS of your phone, especially since you paid so much money for it. I all reality though its very easy and really theres nothing to worry about while doing it. there are plenty of excellent tutorials on hear about how to load a new os and how to wipe a BB. if you follow the instrution in these to the letter you WILL be fine. The early Bolds seemed to have some issues with build quality but the latter ones seem to have none or very little of the same issues. ATT customer service sucks, you'll find more help from the newest member here than from them. Post your questions and clearly state the exact problems your having with your device and im 100% sure someone on here WILL be able to help you retify your issues. if this seems to much for you(or anyone) maybe a BB is not for you. Load the latest OS, beta that is .247,.266 works well. then see and post back any issues you may have.

  7. #37
    SparkleS919's Avatar
    SparkleS919 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TeriO View Post
    I knew full well that the phones AFTER the first one were going to be refurbs; however, I was not prepared for the one that got sold to me AS NEW to be a refurb. I intentionally did not get into the different issues with the phones because I felt my original post was getting long enough as it was. To break it down though, the majority of the issues I have had have had to do with staying connected to the Internet, from the phone. I loved my previous BB's and was thrilled when I found out about the 9000 as the slow connection speed was an issue for me with my previous phones. This phone is having many of the same issues that OzzieDog mentions in his post, though I do have the latest OS system. I am considering the 8900, but it would be at the loss of the 3G, which is the main reason I bought my 9000.

    If you bought the phone from an AT&T corporate store there is ABSOLUTELY no way that the phone was refurbished and the "customer care/warranty" rep was severely mistaken when they gave you that information ( and yes I have seen it happen before, so it is a possiblity that you were given the wrong information)

  8. #38
    millerhe1968's Avatar
    millerhe1968 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkleS919 View Post
    If you bought the phone from an AT&T corporate store there is ABSOLUTELY no way that the phone was refurbished and the "customer care/warranty" rep was severely mistaken when they gave you that information ( and yes I have seen it happen before, so it is a possiblity that you were given the wrong information)
    True.My friend works in a corp store and it kills him that he cant sell the returned devices that were just too much phone for someone and have nothing wrong with them to someone that is having issues with there phone that is just over the thirty day limit for full exchange.He alway complains about it cause some are in perfect condition and were only out of the store for an hour. He told me about one he got back cause the phone was the wrong shade of red.still had the plastic on the battery he had to put it in the back to get shipped off for "repair". So chances of getting a refurb in a corp store "none" they are only through the online store Which is from a totally different distrubution center from the one that ships to corp stores to avoid this exact thing ,refurbs going in place of new units.
    Unlocked Blackberry Torch 9810. On T-mobile.

  9. #39
    snoweey's Avatar
    snoweey no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    23f389df
    Posts
    152
    agreed Corporate stores do not sell refrub devices. all returns are sent back within 7 days of returning them and are actually put into the inventory system as non sellable. How do I know this because I am an ATT assistant managaer and have to send back perfectly good "used" phones once a week it kills me how much we spend on shipping and repair cost just to make sure that a customer always receives a new phone in the store.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    PIN/ID
    Apple
    Posts
    1,749
    Quote Originally Posted by snoweey View Post
    agreed Corporate stores do not sell refrub devices. all returns are sent back within 7 days of returning them and are actually put into the inventory system as non sellable. How do I know this because I am an ATT assistant managaer and have to send back perfectly good "used" phones once a week it kills me how much we spend on shipping and repair cost just to make sure that a customer always receives a new phone in the store.
    wouldn't you want your customers getting new devices. i sure as heck don't want to walk into a corporate store and get a opened, used device when I'm paying he kind of money your paying for the BB. so how does it "kill" you to provide a customer with a new device which is what they paid for. if i wanted a used device i would look on craigs list and get one. but if i want a new one i go to the store. if you think att hurts because of this your mistaken, its all in the budget. do we as consumers hurt because of this, to an extent, but not as much as you think. corporate looks at all the issues and competition. then decides what price will be profitable and completive the average mark up in business is 55- 65%. that means if you a berry for say a 100 dollars, att is only paying 35 to 42 dollars for that device. now that mark up is not all profit as there are much ore factors involved and cost involved. but to say it kills you as a manager to see this is crazy. its business, and att know how to make money beacause they've taken EVERYTHING into account .

  11. #41
    timmyjess1's Avatar
    timmyjess1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4
    When you call customer care to get that replacement for your new phone, they tell you to go ahead sent it back so "we can fix it" we'll send u a postage paid box...BLAH BLAH BLAH.. you are getting a REFURBISHED..everytime.. basically when they sent the " NEW" one for your "messed up one" you are getting someone elses problem phone that got "fixed" ...i know this.... I WORK FOR AT&T.

    that is why when u buy a phone. make sure they break the seals in front of you when buying from a retailer...because that "new" phone you are buying with your hard earned money is being spent on another problem phone I.E. ---> repeat offenders calling in every so often because THIS REPLACEMENT PHONE ISNT WORKING RIGHT!....its a vicious cycle. i've been there....

    grrr...

  12. #42
    matte119's Avatar
    matte119 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    corporate looks at all the issues and competition. then decides what price will be profitable and completive the average mark up in business is 55- 65%. that means if you a berry for say a 100 dollars, att is only paying 35 to 42 dollars for that device. now that mark up is not all profit as there are much ore factors involved and cost involved. but to say it kills you as a manager to see this is crazy. its business, and att know how to make money beacause they've taken EVERYTHING into account .

    You have obviously never worked in wireless. Otherwise, you would know that almost every carrier takes a loss on phones that are subsidized with a 2 year contract. i.e. When you buy a berry for $100 the carrier typically paid $300 for it. I know. Shocking isn't it? In the case of the Bold the loss taken is $200 per phone purchased with 2 year contract.

  13. #43
    EricaJ1073's Avatar
    EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,420
    GregGebhardt

    To reply to your last post, I have had the following issues:

    7730-Signal wouldn't even work in my house so I sent it back within 14 days to replace it.

    7100t-Signal died and never came back on. The replacement for that one didn't show up on time so I had to get a third one sent to me.

    7105t-USB port broke.
    7105t #2-trackwheel locked up and wouldn't respond to any clicks.
    8100-OS crashed for the final time after multiple attempts to revive.

    8100 # 2-Same issue as the first 8100.

    How can you say that this is just fun and games? .
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

  14. #44
    GregGebhardt's Avatar
    GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    wouldn't you want your customers getting new devices. i sure as heck don't want to walk into a corporate store and get a opened, used device when I'm paying he kind of money your paying for the BB. so how does it "kill" you to provide a customer with a new device which is what they paid for. if i wanted a used device i would look on craigs list and get one. but if i want a new one i go to the store. if you think att hurts because of this your mistaken, its all in the budget. do we as consumers hurt because of this, to an extent, but not as much as you think. corporate looks at all the issues and competition. then decides what price will be profitable and completive the average mark up in business is 55- 65%. that means if you a berry for say a 100 dollars, att is only paying 35 to 42 dollars for that device. now that mark up is not all profit as there are much ore factors involved and cost involved. but to say it kills you as a manager to see this is crazy. its business, and att know how to make money beacause they've taken EVERYTHING into account .
    Sorry but you know not what you are talking about. AT&T is trying to sell plans not phones. The hardware is only a toll to get your name on a contract. What you pay for the hardware has little to do with what AT&T paid RIM for the device.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •