Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I just received my 32GB card on Saturday and the formatting FAT32 goes well, but ... BlackBerry Bold forum

tessitori no está en línea Stack level 3

Formatting 32Gb micro SDHC card - Need Help

Advertisement

I just received my 32GB card on Saturday and the formatting FAT32 goes well, but once I copy over the files from an 8GB card (that is fully functional in this phone) I get a message

"A Media Card has been inserted that contains errors. DO you wish to repair the Media card now?"

if I reply yes, I then this message

"If lost clusters are found during the repair, do you want to save them?"

If I say yes or no the files apparently contain errors and when I send them to a recipient they are unable to open the file. I copied myself on a few emails and in the attachment it shows a small red x and if I click on the x I get an icon with a question mark.

Now I just reboot the phone since the media card repair was taking too long and the phone does not even recognize the memory card when I ask it not to repair the card.

Good morning tessitori, when the computer pops open that window either choose Proceed without repairing, or simply close the window. You should be able to use the card and access the data. This happens to me every time I plug my Bold into my Win7 Computer and I think there's hidden files left by the Blackberry format that Windows doesn't recognize, prompting the message. Just bypass and you should be good to go!

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Just a quick tip, make hidden files visible and delete all files with the .dat extension, that should help

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    Good morning tessitori, when the computer pops open that window either choose Proceed without repairing, or simply close the window. You should be able to use the card and access the data. This happens to me every time I plug my Bold into my Win7 Computer and I think there's hidden files left by the Blackberry format that Windows doesn't recognize, prompting the message. Just bypass and you should be good to go!
    Mark, thank you for your reply! I get those messages on my BB not on my windows 7 PC!
    What I am doing in WIndows 7 is the xfer of the data from my 8GB micro sd card (in laptop) to the 32GB card that is in the BB.

Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    Just a quick tip, make hidden files visible and delete all files with the .dat extension, that should help
    How would I do this step? This is great info ... Thank you everyone!

ok, quick update. I formatted the card, transferred the data from the 8GB card ot the 32GB card (drag&drop) and I get the usual message that the media card was not properly inserted, formatted or corrupted. When asked if I want to repair is I say to. When I go to the media manager I cannot see any pics or music and under file manager I do not see any of the documents either. So back to step 1 ... which is ?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Just curious, what are you using to read each of the cards in your computer? The cards may be fine but the data may be getting corrupted during the transfer by one of the readers you are using or a bad sector on your hard drive.....

Zo

It just occurs to me that the 9700 is set up to use microSDs up to 16 gigs, not 32 . . . . lemme confirm, I'll be right back

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    It just occurs to me that the 9700 is set up to use microSDs up to 16 gigs, not 32 . . . . lemme confirm, I'll be right back
    I'm back, CrackBerry, GSMArena and Mobile88 all report that max size is 16. Ironically the owner's manual that came with my Boldie doesn't state what the max size is, neither does BlackBerry dot com or the Tmo website. I think the problem is the sd is too big?

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    But wouldn't it still format the card and just show storage available at 15.? GB? Even though it was a 32GB card?
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    But wouldn't it still format the card and just show storage available at 15.? GB? Even though it was a 32GB card?
    I don't know. I've never thought about that - - Anybody with any experience using an oversized sd card?!?

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I'm pretty sure I've read that, but hey, I've slept since then so.......................
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

I thought that the memory card was also a function of the OS that is installed on the phone!

http://www.letstalk.com/blackberry-bold-9700-t-mobile

Unchallenged quote from Wikipedia:
    Devices that use SD cards identify the card by requesting a 128-bit identification string from the card. For standard-capacity SD cards, 12 of the bits are used to identify the number of memory clusters (ranging from 1 to 4,096) and 3 of the bits are used to identify the number of blocks per cluster (which decode to 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, or 512 blocks per cluster).
    Which means the first thing a device does is read the string that ID's the capacity of the card, if this statement is correct. So I'm leaning towards the capacity of the card as being the problem, but I still think there's room for discussion

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    According to RIM, the 9700 should be able to handle the 32gb card.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast