Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Originally Posted by archer6 Excellent Post! I could not have said it better myself and ... BlackBerry Bold forum

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Excellent Post!

I could not have said it better myself and ironically, I'm feeling the exact same way that you are. If there are as many others as I believe that may be in the same frame of mind that we are, RIM should be very concerned.

Speaking for myself I'm a very big RIM Advocate, but the light is fading...
    Even a 3g Pearl or an 83xx with 3g targeted at the prosumer market would help. I really think they are getting on the 3g bandwagon too late. There are tons of full qwerty smartphones under $200. Its becoming harder to recommend a BlackBerry to my friends. They always ask why they shouldn't get a Fuze or something similar with 3g and save the money. I'm running out of reasons.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post
    Even a 3g Pearl or an 83xx with 3g targeted at the prosumer market would help. I really think they are getting on the 3g bandwagon too late. There are tons of full qwerty smartphones under $200. Its becoming harder to recommend a BlackBerry to my friends. They always ask why they shouldn't get a Fuze or something similar with 3g and save the money. I'm running out of reasons.
    Yes, I've been using "other" 3G smartphones for quite some time. Why RIM waited until the 11th hour to begin offering 3G is beyond me. Not only that, it should be across the new model line. Not just the Bold and one or two others. Releasing the 8900 without 3G until the 2nd generation is another very questionable decision. We are operating in a very fast paced environment with short product cycles. To make the Curve lovers wait at least another half a year for 3G is simply ridiculous.

Finally on the topic of price, I'm stunned that in the midst of a vast array of 3G smartphones below the $300 price point, RIM continues to ignore it's competition and hold out for high margins. At some point in the very near future with this very turbulent economy they make wake up, only to find it's too late.

And they consciously did it to themselves. While I have no doubt they will survive, they will have missed opportunity after opportunity. I ask myself this question.... why?

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Since I started using BlackBerry devices close to three years ago, I've remained a loyal supporter. But frankly, for the first time in three years I've started looking elsewhere.

The 3g network has gone live for att in my area and I've started browsing the web more on my device. With those ideas in mind, on the surface, the bold looks like the device for me. But the more I hear about the troubles people are having, the more I realize that I want the stability of my curve, but with 3g speeds.

I honestly don't think I could ever switch away from the BlackBerry mail services as I rely on it too much, but if RIM continues down their current path of pushing quantity over quality, I grow very concerned for the future.

It looks like a 3g version of the 8900 is six months away or more for us att folks. What do I do in the meantime? There are literally tens of 3g smartphones available for far less than $299. RIM needs to either drop the price on the bold, or else offer a 3g device that costs under $200 or else people are going to jump ship.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I agree that this is an excellent post... While I do not fraternize with the enemy (nonBB user -jkjk), I would suggest that you might consider a device with BB Connect for your email services. You can head in a different direction with a smart phone and not lose the BB email connectivity!

ATT offers devices that feature BB Connect.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    To plead my ignorance, how does BB Connect work? Do I get a BlackBerry data plan and use it with the other device?

PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    To plead my ignorance, how does BB Connect work? Do I get a BlackBerry data plan and use it with the other device?

ya know, i really dont know that much about it either... i saw it at the att store with my wife not too long ago...

here is the RIM link about it:
    http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/enabled/

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Thanks for the link! I'll look into it!
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

Thanks for the link! I'll look into it!
    FYI:
    I've used BB Connect on several Nokia smartphones past and present, and a couple of WM smartphones, and in each case it is better than other solutions, but not as good as the experience one has with a BlackBerry. The integration of BB Connect is simply less secure, stable, and there are periodic (not regular) delays in getting your mail. Never longer than 20 minutes, and yet after working natively with a BlackBerry that 20 minute period seems like forever.

At the end of the day, BlackBerry remains the gold standard.

If email is not a big priority, and Outlook integration is not important, then frankly at this point, I like the iPhone....YIKES... who said that?...

Based on the recent upgrade to 2.2 for my iPhone 3G, this is one very nice smartphone for web browsing, gmail, and the other obvious advantages. The biggest drawback is lack of cut & paste and a keyboard.

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyMrRadio View Post
    They happen after battery pulls. And also after I press OK, none of my IM applications show and none of the keyboard shortcuts work. Then I do a reset and everything appears fine.
    I was going to tell you to downgrade to .185 from .190, but it looks like you already have.

Mine was buggy, too...until I stopped using any theme other than the one preinstalled on the bold.

Every so often, I still get the missing icons and the null.exception java error thingy, but it hasn't been happening as much as it did (in comparison to when I was using an ota theme).

PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    If email is not a big priority, and Outlook integration is not important, then frankly at this point, I like the iPhone....YIKES... who said that?...
    I wonder what error codes an iPhone would yield after a battery pull... any guesses? ;-)

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    I still can not understand how so many Bolds out there are not having any problems and other users seem to have one problem after another. From what I can see and have read the Bold has been pretty stable for most of the users. A defective Bold is the exception and not the rule
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

jdk2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    And yet another error this morning when turning on my BT. A memory allocation error asking me to close programs. The only thing open was my hand cradling the phone! There were no applications open except the default 5, 3G was showing 4 bars, and the battery had just been charged overnight.

It goes back to AT&T this morning. Enough of these problems. And this was supposed to be RIM's flagship device?. It looks more like the poopdeck.

Quote Originally Posted by GregGebhardt View Post
    I still can not understand how so many Bolds out there are not having any problems and other users seem to have one problem after another.
    I say just enjoy yours...

Quote Originally Posted by jdk2 View Post
    And yet another error this morning when turning on my BT. A memory allocation error asking me to close programs. The only thing open was my hand cradling the phone! There were no applications open except the default 5, 3G was showing 4 bars, and the battery had just been charged overnight.

It goes back to AT&T this morning. Enough of these problems. And this was supposed to be RIM's flagship device?. It looks more like the poopdeck.
    Great Post... Well Said... Terrific Decision! One that I just made.

Ironically, I just "moved out" of my new 10 day old Bold because the screen just went berserk.

This was my Fourth Defective, Unstable, Unreliable Bold.

It displayed heavy flickering on a blank screen with a vertical line up the middle, blue colors on the left, red colors on the right, and it would not respond to any commands.

So I pulled the battery and that was that.

My new Curve 8310 never looked better...

Just another confirmation of how ill prepared RIM was to deliver this to the public.

Proving once again, newer is not always better, and less is more.

Cheers...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123