Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Soo wednesday afternoon I was leaving my gym and I threw my bold in my ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Karpfish24 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243fd52f

Dropped in water....

Advertisement

Soo wednesday afternoon I was leaving my gym and I threw my bold in my sweatpants pocket. It was icy and I slipped a little. My bold must have slipped out of my pocket when I slipped. I got in my car and notice a minute later that I didn't have it, so i went back and found it on the ground on the ice. It was a little wet. i took the battery out, and then when I got home I threw it in a bag of rice. It has been sitting in the rice since then. How long should I be waiting before I take it out to see if its working? I have insurance so the actual phone is not the end of the world, but I had some notes on there that hadn't been synced. Do you think theres any way to get the notes without the phone really being able to turn on(I doubt it). Thanks.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    yeah,you phone will have to be powered on to get your notes. the rice time is really dependent on how wet it got. if your not in a big hurry i would give it some more time just to be safe.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Karpfish24 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243fd52f
    Well my friend called and said he needed something that was in one of those notes, so I took it out and fired it up. It looks like the screen is toast, but everything else is working because the phone backed up fine and I transfered the memos to my curve. I also noticed that the water indicator is still white....

PIN/ID
    wut?
    i'd pull the batt and chunk it back in the rice...might be worth a shot.

impak875 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    DROID
    I would give it at least 24-48 hours, just to make sure the rice has pulled all the water from the device... at least that's what I've told my customers. I have yet to test this myself but I've been told it does work.

nova609 no está en línea Stack level 3
    rice????!!!!?!?!!?? lol...sorry, am I missing something?

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Open it up, wrap it in a soft cloth for protection and put it in an oven on its VERY lowest setting with the oven door open. Don't leave it - take in out every 2 minutes or so to check it and put it back in for a couple of minutes.

The object is to expose it to very dry air and "encourage" evaporation of any moisture in that may be in the phone. Be careful and use your own judgment as to how long to continue this procedure - It won't take long to work. Don't let it get hot or even very warm to the touch. Good luck.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by nova609 View Post
    rice????!!!!?!?!!?? lol...sorry, am I missing something?
    rice pulls the moisture out

Safiy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304d0ac5
    And visine gets the red out. . You can also set it about 2-3ft away from a heat vent. Takes about 2-4hrs.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by Safiy View Post
    And visine gets the red out. . You can also set it about 2-3ft away from a heat vent. Takes about 2-4hrs.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    That's a great idea too...and, in the summer, an a/c vent. Both are free of humidity for all practical purposes.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

applejosh no está en línea Stack level 3
    I'd recommend the heat vent/register thing over the oven. I just have thoughts of my wife walking past the oven and deciding she wants to cook something. Preheating a Bold to 425 would probably not be a good thing.
    applejosh
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)
    OS 4.3

Quote Originally Posted by applejosh View Post
    I'd recommend the heat vent/register thing over the oven. I just have thoughts of my wife walking past the oven and deciding she wants to cook something. Preheating a Bold to 425 would probably not be a good thing.
    Well, the thing you NEVER do in the "oven technique" is 1) leave the room, 2) close the oven door or 3) do anything else while you're executing the oven technique!

Diffused no está en línea Stack level 3
    I've always wondered about this RICE thing; do you use the 'Quick Rice' or the old fashioned, 'Long Cooking' type? I would think it would make a big difference in how long it would take to absorb the moisture.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    I would use the regular - long cooking - rice.

The type we use here in Hawaii works perfect.

That's why I recommend the "oven technique" - I think it's a waste of good food. I LOVE rice with all foods. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast