I know there are a few threads out there about the Bold dropping calls, but ... BlackBerry Bold forum

ReggieSmith no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Dropped calls when emails arrive

Advertisement

I know there are a few threads out there about the Bold dropping calls, but I have noticed that mine seems to drop calls if several emails come in back to back. Maybe the messaging functions hog the radio long enough to disrupt the call? 1 email by itself- no problem, but almost without fail, (short of going into a heavy concrete structure like a below ground parking deck), whenever I get a dropped call and see the "call failed" message on the screen, if I look in my email inbox and there are a couple of emails that just came in.

Has anyone else noticed this? I upgraded to the .247 OS release hoping that RIM might have decided to address this issue, but no such luck. I mean this IS a messaging device, right?

Almost makes me wish I could block the emails from coming in while I am on the phone- maybe an option to mark the call as priority after you are on it so that the device doesn't accept incoming connections until it is over.
    ------

From time to time, you have to wonder...... What was I saying?

PIN/ID
    Apple
    thats wild , i never have issues like that and i get many emails a day while on the phone.

Meyefull no está en línea Stack level 2
    This happend to me this morning! Crazy... I was on the phone and i heard my notification that I had an email, then i could not hear the other person on the line and eventually said "call failed". Didnt tink much of it and called her back but now im starting to think it may turn into an issue...thanks for sharing Reggie

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    It is possible you just have poor reception? I have received lots of emails while on phone calls and never had a problem.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

rajafarhan no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20F44149
    thats odd
    Death to Peace.....War to Last.....RIP
    .................................................. .
    Bluetooth Fix...http://forums.pinstack.com/showthrea...51#post1120151

BB4Life no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2420a7c5
    Quote Originally Posted by ReggieSmith View Post
    I know there are a few threads out there about the Bold dropping calls, but I have noticed that mine seems to drop calls if several emails come in back to back. Maybe the messaging functions hog the radio long enough to disrupt the call? 1 email by itself- no problem, but almost without fail, (short of going into a heavy concrete structure like a below ground parking deck), whenever I get a dropped call and see the "call failed" message on the screen, if I look in my email inbox and there are a couple of emails that just came in.

Has anyone else noticed this? I upgraded to the .247 OS release hoping that RIM might have decided to address this issue, but no such luck. I mean this IS a messaging device, right?

Almost makes me wish I could block the emails from coming in while I am on the phone- maybe an option to mark the call as priority after you are on it so that the device doesn't accept incoming connections until it is over.
    Happens to me all the time...I get a lot of dropped calls when I receive a lot of emails.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    technically that shouldnt be possible...

there is one radio that does data and voice... the way its supposed to work is that data will keep streaming in and out till there is a call... the call should automatically take precedence over the data stream and stop it...

therefore, the emails technically dont have priority over the call...

there may be another reason in the back causing your calls to drop...

have you checked your available memory at the time that this happens?
    i see RED...

ReggieSmith no está en línea Stack level 3

Dropped Calls when emails arrive

Actually, that is not quite correct about the data stream stopping when you are on a call.

The whole premise of the 3G network, besides increased data speed, is that both data and voice are available simultaneously. It is similar to how DSL works. Both voice and data come in over the same "line" or "connection" but the data rides on top at a different frequency.

If you are NOT in 3G data coverage zone, i.e. EDGE or GPRS, then the device does not have access to the add'l frequency, while a call is acticve, and therefore no emails will arrive or be sent until the call is over.

I was wondering if maybe I am losing the calls as the signal gets "stepped down" from 3G or during a tower hand-off, but it always seems to happen when multiple emails come in. Maybe a combination, but I am still leaning towards my 1st presumption that the amount of data from multiple emails is overwhelming the priority on the radio.

Anyone from RIM monitoring these forums??
    ------

From time to time, you have to wonder...... What was I saying?

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    lol... true... i assumed edge...

im pretty sure rim has spies on the stacks... but they dont want to tell us who they are...

i honestly still find it unlikely that an influx of data could drop a call...
    i see RED...