Is it possible to download apps on to the SD Card?... BlackBerry Bold forum

CrackBerry no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241BB26E

Downloading apps to SD card?

Advertisement

Is it possible to download apps on to the SD Card?

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    There is an app called aerize that allows you to store apps on your media card, but they cant run from the card. It stores them there and allows you to install them to your device memory when you want them. I was never a big fan off that app, but some swear by it.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

mschoonie87 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21940E4B
    There was one in development about a year ago but I never heard anything else about it the problem is that there would be a substantial lag running apps from the media card

CrackBerry no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241BB26E
    Thanks azstar,
    That Aerize app only gives you the option to un-install and re-install apps from the SD Card.

mschoonie87,
    I also remember some chatter about it.

Actually I realized that the apps I downloaded via "BB app world" are saved onto the SD Card, and I don't have any lag problem at all.

It would be nice if lame RIM would give us that option not only with app-world and before a private developer comes up with a solution for that.

dlsolo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Okay, I've been sitting on this thought for a while now and need to get it off my chest.... Installing applications on the SD card (or even the Device Memory).

I know this is something that is not possible right now, but I don't see why RIM can't come up with an idea that would allow this possibility, especially if they don't increase the available space.

Here is my thought. Just about everyone one of use has an SD card inserted into our BB's. Why can't the OS mate the SD card to our Blackberry with some type of encryption or hash that would only allow the SD card to be used on that Blackberry, unless you format it to be used on another Blackberry? Does that make sense? If not, let me go a little further.

Example, I have a 16GB SD card in my Storm2. The first time I insert that new card and format it within the OS, it could format the card and use some type of authentication so the Blackberry knows this card is to be used solely to it. That way, RIM can ensure there would be no software (apps) violation possible. I'm not sure that is the issue at hand but it would take care of that concern.

Yes, SD cards do read a bit slower than the internal memory, but most apps get executed and reside in the Blackberry cache (i'm guessing).

Is there something I'm missing? This sounds like a means to allow use to gain usage of our SD cards to install apps on. Heck, instead of just adding some time of mating encryption to the card, the format could create a hidden folder with a unknown/unique password to allow the OS to install apps (or allow the option) on the SD card.

Someone tell me if I'm smoking something here? To me, this sounds plausible!
    Current OS: Mark Hayes 9550 v2.1 Hybrid
    Driphter.com - Help and Support Team
    Email: dlsolo@driphter.com
    Google Talk: dlsolo@gmail.com

omerw no está en línea Stack level 1
    the new OS (OS 6) will hav this option