Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some people may see it as common sense not to rely on a beta copy ... BlackBerry Bold forum

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C

Don't update OS via Windows 7 Beta

Advertisement

Some people may see it as common sense not to rely on a beta copy of Windows for to much, but apparently at 1 am I didn't.

I hadn't updated my Bold's OS since .210 was in Beta and while it was still working as great as ever I saw that .247 went official and I had to give it a go.

The OS update (using the apploader) quickly got stuck at the first "Waiting for device initialization" stage...and sat there for over an hour! At this point I was already freaking out, starting to look through any article I could find online to remedy the situation. JL_cmdr doesnt/didnt work in Windows 7 and I thought all hope was lost. only after an hour of toiling did I actually think to try using my wife's laptop to finish the update. After getting everything installed and copying over my backup from the failed update I got to work...and yes...it lives!!!

Just wanted to share with everyone my experience, many people conceive Windows 7 to be very similar to Vista on a driver level but there still seems to be enough difference to prevent SOME normal application behavior.

On a more positive note .247 is feeling great and very snappy so far on day 1, no issues yet and some things (using the application switcher) seems much more responsive.

Hopefully I can save someone a little hassle with my experience...nothing wrong with living on the edge and doing something undocumented once and awhile.

~via Blackberry Bold (wap.pinstack.com)~
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

mmcpher no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2013818F

USB Ports set to Powersave in Win 7?

I had a similar problem trying to update my Bold OS on wy laptop that's running Windows 7 Beta. It just seemed to hang to a stop, and I was worried that I'd bricked my Bold.

But after a little nosing around I found a workout of the problem which was simple and successful. It seems that Windows 7 defaulted the USB ports to a powersaving setting, so that when the new OS upload paused for a long enough period of time, Windows 7's powersaving options put the USB ports into a sleep mode and thereby fouled up the update.

So I went into the USB port settings (for all of the USB ports, just in case) through the System Settings, and simply cleared the check-marked powersave box for the USB settings, then reconnected the Bold and reinitiated the update/upgrade and it went through fine.

ericjackson no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM Me
    Had no problem with multiple updates with windows 7 64bit.

mmcpher no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2013818F
    I was working with the 32 bit version.

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Hmm...I am using the 64bit copy of the Beta...maybe its not as widespread as I thought. Don't I just look silly now trying to make a big deal about it.

I can't see how it would have been anything related to USB power saving as I have all power saving features disabled.

I guess there is still the possibility that with the thousands of possible hardware combinations in todays PC's it is hit and miss as to whether the beta OS will give people any issues.

Either way...still worth putting the word out there I guess, nice to hear that not everyone is having the same issues.

.247 FTW! Lovin' every minute of it!

sele no está en línea Stack level 2
    I had the same problem when trying to update my 8310 os using the Windows 7 Beta. I thought I had really messed the phone up because it appeared to delete the operating system and then got hung and I could not get it to recognize the phone after that. Thankfully plugging the phone into a Vista machine recognized the phone and loaded the OS to the phone without any issues.

SGZrazberry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Just ask
    on a side note.....how is 7 looking compared to vista (I have 64bit and it is always having some error or glitch....)
    godsdameatIluvdezlittleboxes

The answer to everything?...BBSAK http://rimgeeks.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=56

DrunkenNoodleFC no está en línea Stack level 1
    I am running the 32 bit version of Windows 7 on one of my laptops. I have it on there because I just couldn't risk it on my main desktop. I have to say tho, that I really am liking it thus far, finding it more reliable and stable than the Vista I am forced to run on my other PCs. I have yet to run into any really big compatibility issues, but then again, I'm using it as a work laptop and not digging into too far. For what use I do get out of it, it's a pretty solid OS- especially for being a beta. Think Vista- but with the stability and ease of use of XP.

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    I don't mind the OT conversation at all.

I've been using the 64bit version of 7 and I find it MUCH more reliable and a hell of a lot quicker then Vista to boot. I definitely see Windows 7 being the first version of windows I actually pay money for...shhh...

jikdoc no está en línea Stack level 2
    i've updated numerous times on windows7 x64 without any issues.

on a side note, windows 7 is amazing :~)

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Now you guys are just trying to make me feel bad.

Lol, jk...good to hear that there's more then likely something else that caused my hangup and I don't have to dualboot XP or Vista if I wanna use my PC for updates.

dlsolo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    so the power saving issue on the USB hub device is the hold up? I'll have to take a look at that tonight. I had the same problem a few times and ended up vmware'ing into my vista load to do my update.

Thanks for the tip!!

jikdoc no está en línea Stack level 2
    try using dm 4.6 with vista or windows7, also look into the powersave usb hub thing, it's been an on/off issue since xp

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    You know what guys...I went back and looked and I actually DID have the usb power saving option enabled...don't I just feel like a fool?

I'll give it another try tonight or tomorrow when I give 5.0 a shot.

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcpher View Post
    I had a similar problem trying to update my Bold OS on wy laptop that's running Windows 7 Beta. It just seemed to hang to a stop, and I was worried that I'd bricked my Bold.

But after a little nosing around I found a workout of the problem which was simple and successful. It seems that Windows 7 defaulted the USB ports to a powersaving setting, so that when the new OS upload paused for a long enough period of time, Windows 7's powersaving options put the USB ports into a sleep mode and thereby fouled up the update.

So I went into the USB port settings (for all of the USB ports, just in case) through the System Settings, and simply cleared the check-marked powersave box for the USB settings, then reconnected the Bold and reinitiated the update/upgrade and it went through fine.
    can you be a little more specific where that usb system setting is please... i searched the cp for usb system settings, and nothing returned... thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast