Hi there. I wonder if someone can clear this up for me? I recently purchased ... BlackBerry Bold forum

tigerbluemusic no está en línea Stack level 3

Disappearing Memory!?

Advertisement

Hi there.

I wonder if someone can clear this up for me?

I recently purchased quicklaunch app for my bold. As you may be aware, it provides you with various bits of device info including memory free. When I fresh boot my bold and have opened all my usual apps like beejive and viigo I tend to run at 15-16 mb free. However over the following hours this nosedives to 0.1 mb. I have tried clearing the event log and the memory and even tried closing some of my apps but nothing seems to recover the free memory. The only thing that will do is a battery pull.

Does anyone else experience this?
    Is this what I might have heard referred to as "memory leak"?

Thanks
    Ste
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Once the memory has leaked, the only way to restore it is by booting the device through a battery pull or soft reset.

If your applications are running in the background, they will surely chew up your memory on a regular basis. Unless they need to be running, I'd suggest you close them down when you're down with them.

Clearing your browser cache on a regular basis is a good idea, too. When you have the browser open, press the BB menu button, scroll to Options, then Cache Operations and clear all that stuff out.

Cool. I kind of imagined this might be the response. Its a shame the os can't recover the leaked memory. I will have a go at clearing the browser cache too and see if I get some back. Otherwise I'll whip me battery out. Thanks

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    You'll get memory back by clearing the browser. The battery pull is what "reformats the hard drive" so to speak, which will give you even more memory back.

You might also want to consider removing a couple of the "canned" applications like Help and TTY, if those come loaded on the Bold. You don't need the Help application because, well, you get that here on Pinstack! And unless you're hearing impaired, you won't need the TTY app either. Just go to Options>Advanced Options>Applications, highlight the app, press the BB menu button and select Delete. Could free up about 5mb of space.

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Well I think there's something wrong with your device for it to take a serious plunge down to 0.1mb...

Everyone has a memory leak, but mine is definately not that severe... There's atleast one app that's doing something wrong...

Also, what OS are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by reddrvgon View Post
    Well I think there's something wrong with your device for it to take a serious plunge down to 0.1mb...

Everyone has a memory leak, but mine is definately not that severe... There's atleast one app that's doing something wrong...

Also, what OS are you running?
    Well I must admit I am using a beta os .245. However this is one of the better os I have used

PIN/ID
    ask me
    I had .245 till yesterday... Still suffering the aftereffect of the .rem...

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3
    As was said, you cure the memory leak, only minimize its impact. You need to track down what app is causing it and report to that developer.
    Many of us use an app called QuickPull which electronically simulates a battery pull. You can schedule it to run and its reset while you are sleeping nightly and it will help a lot. If you aren't even making it 24 hours before you are leaked down to nothing you have a seriously bad app that you need to reconsider having until the developer fixes it.

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3
    Meant to say you CAN'T cure the leak. Only the app developer can, and granted RIM needs better protection built into the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by dgburns View Post
    As was said, you cure the memory leak, only minimize its impact. You need to track down what app is causing it and report to that developer.
    Many of us use an app called QuickPull which electronically simulates a battery pull. You can schedule it to run and its reset while you are sleeping nightly and it will help a lot. If you aren't even making it 24 hours before you are leaked down to nothing you have a seriously bad app that you need to reconsider having until the developer fixes it.
    Yeah I have quickpull and have now scheduled a daily battery pull to refresh the memory. I will have a play with the apps I have running all the time and see what is causing the leak.

Cheers

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Good luck... Come back n let us know which app was slowing you down...

rhin0247 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I was doing beta testing for BerryPopup and it would take me down to 0.3MB within 2-3hrs

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Lol... That's crazy...

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    I would bet this is software related. Poorly written software will make the memory thing much worst. My Bold goes for 47mb sown to 40mb and sometimes back to say 45mb without pulling the battery. Pulling the battery always brings me back to the 47mb.

For your to go to .1mb, you need to dump any extra software you got and install them one at a time till you find the offending program. .1mb will make for a bad Bold experience.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

jrhorner71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    @5K
    Another suggestion is to go into message a nd delete unwanted or unneeded messages.

ALT+P to clear phone logs
    ALT+O to clear outgoing messages
    ALT+M to clear MMS messages
    ALT+V to clear Voice messages
    ALT+S to clear SMS messages

While there also hit the BB menu button>options>email reconciliation>hit BB menu again>purge deleted items>then purge each account showing (you'll have to repeat for each one).

It's a lot to do but it will free up memory as well.