Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi, Just got a 9700 bold2 today. I am disappointed to notice that there is ... BlackBerry Bold forum

fwellers no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242219FB

disable unlock button ?

Advertisement

Hi,
    Just got a 9700 bold2 today. I am disappointed to notice that there is a button on the top left that when touched unlocks and locks the phone.
    I don't mind using it to lock the phone, but I don't like that just touching it can also unlock the phone.
    Is there anyway to disable that button or change the behavior of it ? I couldn't see one in the settings options anywhere.

Thanks,
    floyd
    People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.
    Peace,
    Floyd

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    Unfortunately you cannot disable the lock button on top, but there are a few other options you can use. http://forums.pinstack.com/f276/standby_mode-119067/ read this thread and it discusses the options.

PIN/ID
    242219FB
    Thanks.
    But that thread is basically useless to me.
    I really don't see why more people aren't concerned or bothered by the unlock key being so easily pressed.
    All I hear are people saying not to put the phone in your pocket. It's obviously some sort of oversight or bug by RIM. I am now forced to use a password to prevent unwanted things from happening while the phone is in my pocket.
    It was cool before when you had to hit the * and phone key before it would unlock, but this unlock button at the top is ridiculous. It takes almost no pressure to activate it.
    People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.
    Peace,
    Floyd

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by fwellers View Post
    Thanks.
    I really don't see why more people aren't concerned or bothered by the unlock key being so easily pressed.
    All I hear are people saying not to put the phone in your pocket. It's obviously some sort of oversight or bug by RIM. I am now forced to use a password to prevent unwanted things from happening while the phone is in my pocket.
    It was cool before when you had to hit the * and phone key before it would unlock, but this unlock button at the top is ridiculous. It takes almost no pressure to activate it.
    I tried...it's just that there is no answer for what you want...sorry

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Maybe some sort of case would make it a bit harder to accidentally press it.....
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

fatboy97 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by fwellers View Post
    Thanks.
    "Concrened or bothered"... interesting words... I'm neither concerned, nor bothered... actually I find it rather hard to push my lock or standby buttons and have Never pushed either since these new models have had this located on the top... so I have resorted to using the letter "A" to locking my device since the latest OS versions have disabled the Standby button on the top right.

****EDIT: I do also use the iFrogz case on mine and have in the past used a silicone case.

PIN/ID
    242219FB
    Sorry for making it sound like you were the target of my frustration RayZ. You were just trying to help. :-)
    Hmm Fatboy. I called 611 already and they also told me that the lock button on top isn't supposed to be that easy to press. They suggested I take it back to the store and check out another one.
    I am thinking that it will also be pretty easy to press. But your post makes me wonder.

I don't want a case. I like keeping my phone in my pocket. It didn't hurt my 8820 or my pearl and they even had a trackball to get lint in. I guess I'll just have to deal with a password :-(. Maybe someone will make a fix to allow someone to disable that button.
    Peace,
    Floyd

frisco49ers no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2840D481
    Set your password to the * key. Then it is just like your old phone!

PIN/ID
    242219FB
    Quote Originally Posted by frisco49ers View Post
    Set your password to the * key. Then it is just like your old phone!
    Tried that. Unless there's some other trick about that, the OS will only let me use a password of minimum 5 characters and they can't all be the same either.
    Is there a way around the password rule ?

Thanks,
    floyd
    Peace,
    Floyd

I'm fairly sure the minimum is 4 characters... and yes, I just tested putting in 4 *'s and that will not work either.

My iFrogz case does prevent me from pushing the Lock button very easily... the only problem is AT&T is the only place you can get one of their cases... but it is a nice two piece case that is really easy to put on and take off.

PIN/ID
    242219FB
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    I'm fairly sure the minimum is 4 characters... and yes, I just tested putting in 4 *'s and that will not work either.

My iFrogz case does prevent me from pushing the Lock button very easily... the only problem is AT&T is the only place you can get one of their cases... but it is a nice two piece case that is really easy to put on and take off.
    Thanks. I'll take a look.
    Peace,
    Floyd

PIN/ID
    242219FB
    FatBoy,
    I got the frogz case at the att store. It does help in that regard. It's a nice case. Not quite as thin as the regular silicone case they sell for it, but seems like it'll work pretty well.
    Thanks for the advice.
    In the meantime, I still wait for someone to make a fix to disable that button while locked.
    Peace,
    Floyd

anfrey no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    A5KME41T
    if you use standby (holding down mute) you won't be able to 'unlock' it without an extended buttonpress

Quote Originally Posted by anfrey View Post
    if you use standby (holding down mute) you won't be able to 'unlock' it without an extended buttonpress
    And the Standby button has been disabled on the more recent OS 5.0 releases... not sure what version number it started with, but it's been that way for at least the last two... and I'm fairly sure the current BETA OS 5.0 release.

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Set the owner info, that will bring that function back, after first look wait for a descent amount of time to unlock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast