Hi, I'm receiving a weird Desktop manager error while connecting my brand new 9700 Bold2 ... BlackBerry Bold forum

ntrsfrml no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2440080c

Desktop manager error with 9700 Bold2

Advertisement

Hi, I'm receiving a weird Desktop manager error while connecting my brand new 9700 Bold2 from Bell Mobility.

The phone is fully Unlocked and using the stock Bell OS. Desktop manager version is 5.0.xx

I have tried rebooting the computer and also switching between different USB ports(back and front of the desktop). Also tried using a colleague's computer.

Here are some screen shots:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Had that happen to my Storm 1. The only way I managed to fix the bug was to do a total BB wipe. Probably some downloaded 3rd party software causing the problem.
    Before wiping the BB I suggest you find out first what application is causing that and then do not download it.
    On the 9700 press ALT and hold and then lglg. This will open an event log. Press x and scroll to find an event in bold print. See then if it identifies the program.If you are successful with this, uninstall the program or programs. Do not download them again. Try and connect the BB to DM.
    If not successful: Wipe the BB. Uninstall DM from PC as well and download and install the latest DM - you can find the latest DM on BlackBerry Downloads.

This should fix it !
    Last edited by Delfim; 01-23-2010 at 04:34 AM.

ntrsfrml no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2440080c
    Thank you! I will try these steps and post back soon.

boricua no está en línea Stack level 3
    You can always try performing a reset to factory.

To reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory defaults, complete the following steps:
    Warning: Backup the BlackBerry smartphone. For assistance backing up the BlackBerry smartphone.
    On a Windows® XP to Windows 7 32 bit Operating System do the following:

1. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer.
    2. Open Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
    3. Type cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader
    4. Type loader.exe /resettofactory
    On a Windows XP or Windows Vista™ 64 bit Operating System do the following:
    1. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer.
    2. Open Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
    3. Type cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader
    4. Type loader.exe /resettofactory

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    You can wipe to factory settings from your phone. Do a back up first before wiping.

( Settings/Tools --> ) Options --> Security Options --> General Settings. Click the Menu Button and select Wipe Handheld. Check the box to include 3rd party apps. You'll be given a warning, click Continue. You'll then be asked to enter the word blackberry. Type it in and hit [Enter] and all data will be erased.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

( Settings/Tools --> ) Options --> Security Options --> General Settings. Click the Menu Button and select Wipe Handheld does wipe the handheld but it does not restore to factory settings. The only way to restore to factory setting is by following the procedure that I stated before. You can go to the BlackBerry website and look at knowledge based article KB18998

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    A security wipe is handled differently on the 9700.

Options>Security Options>Security Wipe. Once in there you can choose what you want to wipe, including emails, contacts, 3rd party apps.....even the media card.

As with older devices, you'll still be required to enter the word "blackberry" to actually perform the wipe.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ...we are all talking about the same thing. Except for the fact that KB18998 handles OS 4.2 to 4.7. I'm not confortable with the fact that it can or cannot handle OS 5.Regardless, I've never trusted apploader to do a total reset to factory values. The function to wipe, always resets the BB to these values (in my opinion, and I never had reason to doubt this function). Also my suggestion to first find the programs causing the problem is valid since the buddy cannot even connect to the PC to make the necessary backup before making a total wipe.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Thank you Rog. I was going by what I remembered from my 8900

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    A security wipe is handled differently on the 9700.

Options>Security Options>Security Wipe. Once in there you can choose what you want to wipe, including emails, contacts, 3rd party apps.....even the media card.

As with older devices, you'll still be required to enter the word "blackberry" to actually perform the wipe.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Yeah, they decided to give it its own menu option......make it a little easier to find.

KB18998 does work on OS 5.0 and I wold know because I have performed it on serveral BlackBerry devices with 5.0 (KB18998 just haasn't been update to include OS 5.0)