I've tried to search for the answer but I'm coming up empty handed. Does anyone ... BlackBerry Bold forum

cestlavie77 no está en línea Stack level 3

Data usage: Email vs. BBM

Advertisement

I've tried to search for the answer but I'm coming up empty handed.

Does anyone know what the difference in the amount of data usage is for email vs. bbm?

The reason I ask... I have a plan with a monthly limit of 500mb. Previously I was a fairly heavy bbm user and between that and my normal internet/email usage I'd come to maybe half my monthly limit. Now lately I've been using a lot more email (lets say 50 mssgs a day sent/received for arguments sake) -- just text, no attachments. I'm a little worried that email is using a lot more data and perhaps I will go over.

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks!

merk77 no está en línea Stack level 1
    So real quick you don't have an unlimited data plan because most blackberry plans are unlimited and if you do you have nothing to worry about. Most wireless providers only get mad when you start doing few gigs of data . If your hitting a few gigs then you are using the wrong tool .
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

blkbryadict no está en línea Stack level 3
    Assuming an email is 65Kb, 500Mb should allow you to send and recieve 7600 emails. Instant messeges are not even in excess of 1kb. 500Mb is equal to 500,000Kb. Instant messages are a miniscule drop in the bucket. Very strange, I haven't heard of Blackberry plan that wasn't unlimited.
    Last edited by blkbryadict; 04-21-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Raphael no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by cestlavie77 View Post
    I've tried to search for the answer but I'm coming up empty handed.

Does anyone know what the difference in the amount of data usage is for email vs. bbm?

The reason I ask... I have a plan with a monthly limit of 500mb. Previously I was a fairly heavy bbm user and between that and my normal internet/email usage I'd come to maybe half my monthly limit. Now lately I've been using a lot more email (lets say 50 mssgs a day sent/received for arguments sake) -- just text, no attachments. I'm a little worried that email is using a lot more data and perhaps I will go over.

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks!
    Well think of this way, if you're using BlackBerry Messenger, chances are that you're sending smaller messages here and there in comparison to e-mails. Now also consider this, BlackBerry traffic that comes in and goes out from your device is compressed meaning that the actual traffic itself is a lot more minimal.

BBM for short messages / E-mails for longer messages with detail?

I wouldn't worry about it really!

Quote Originally Posted by merk77 View Post
    So real quick you don't have an unlimited data plan because most blackberry plans are unlimited and if you do you have nothing to worry about. Most wireless providers only get mad when you start doing few gigs of data . If your hitting a few gigs then you are using the wrong tool .
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~
    Nope, I'm with Rogers and the plan that I'm on only has an allotment of 500 mb of data per month.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    Well think of this way, if you're using BlackBerry Messenger, chances are that you're sending smaller messages here and there in comparison to e-mails. Now also consider this, BlackBerry traffic that comes in and goes out from your device is compressed meaning that the actual traffic itself is a lot more minimal.

BBM for short messages / E-mails for longer messages with detail?

I wouldn't worry about it really!
    Well, here's the thing....

The person that I chat with extensively is in the US, and I'm in Canada. BBM is good, but we seem to have a lot of delays and problems with it (this is over a 3 month period, so it's not something "new"). So, we have switched to Gmail which is instantaneous and problem free. Now, not all of the messages are big, some are as small as simply a "Subject" and no other text at all. But there are a lot of messages daily as we are no longer using BBM because of it's unreliability. That's where my concern over the data usage comes in because I know that BBM doesn't hardly use anything, but I have no clue what email would use in comparison.