I was replacing the trackball in my Bold, which i have done previously a couple ... BlackBerry Bold forum

shanedogg no está en línea Stack level 2

~Damaged my Bold's mainboard~HELP!

Advertisement

I was replacing the trackball in my Bold, which i have done previously a couple times. When I went to remove the small metal retainer that holds the trackball in place a part of the mainboard on the right side where the retainer clips onto lifted up and some connections were broken.
    Now I can't scroll to the right, and down is tough. Also the trackball doesn't light up, unless I put some slight pressure on it.

Has anyone ever heard of or fixed a problem like this? I'm good with a soldering gun, but this is way to intricate.

I love the Bold, but have been planning to upgrade to a Storm 2, or a Magnum...whenever they come out. I'm on Rogers and could get an early upgrade, however I don't want to waste it on a phone I already have. Wait times for the Bold 2 are long in Canada right now, and I don't really want the smaller size anyways.

Furthering my dilema (besides the fact I cant live without my phone) is that tonight is my birthday party, and I will be needing BBM to talk to a ton of people.

Speaking of BBM, I have been thinking about switching to an iPhone 3gs, but I don't think I could live without BBM.

Any Ideas?

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    Shane that sounds a little to deep resoldering a board. If you don't have a soldering iron with a variable heat control you could do more damage than what is already there. I would upgrade and after you have your new device I would then attempt the solder job good luck and post back with what you decide

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    ^^ man, tough luck! I would agree with wheelz that unless you are pretty good with rebuilding electronics, I'd go for the upgrade and then mess with it once you have a working bb in your hands sorry buddy, and happy birthday!

shanedogg no está en línea Stack level 2
    Well, after I had resigned myself to the fact I would get an upgrade, or at least use an ancient pearl that kinda works untill the Storm 2 comes to Rogers, I tried to do a little repair job. I have a Snap On butane soldering kit from work with a really fine tip on it. I touched each little connection for a couple seconds to try to have the solder melt and hold again, and it worked!!

I now have full use of the trackball again. The only thing that's not 100% is that the trackball still only lights up under slight pressure. BUt no biggie. I just want to have the bold last me now until Rogers has a new BB that I want.

Thanks for the advice tho... I didn't think it would work either. lol