Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

ok, i'll give this a shot and see how it goes...i'll be back in a ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Optimus no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

ok, i'll give this a shot and see how it goes...i'll be back in a day or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    First, you can't wipe your OS with Desktop Manager......you'll need jl_cmndr or better yet, download an app called BBSAK (BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife). It's a neat little utility you can use to wipe the OS, among other things.

Once you download BBSAK, connect your device, then launch BBSAK. It'll ask you for a password. If you don't have one set for your device, just click OK. You'll then see the option to Wipe OS.

BBSAK will also allow you to back up your third party apps, but I prefer using Desktop Manager to do that. Don't like the way BBSAK restores the apps. Let me know if you want help with this.

There are utilities out there to help you shrink your OS. BB Boss is one of them. I downloaded it, but never used it.....switched to iPhone.

It doesn't matter what carrier the OS is from as long as it's specifically for your device. You just need to delete a vendor-related file and you're all set. And no, it won't ruin your device. OS7 will NOT be compatible with older devices at all, so no point in waiting for that.

As for AppWorld, just go to www.blackberry.com/appworld and redownload it. Yeah, it still shows in application manager, but this is a known bug with AppWorld......the icon disappearing after an upgrade. Annoying for sure, but RIM is aware of it and working on a fix.
    the link you provided leads me to some image of instructions to download something called "installous" which apparently is for an apple product....i tried typing blackberry swiss army knife in the app store and nothing but i found it through google so we'll see...thanks.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Doh! Sorry about that.....

Here's the correct link: www.bbsak.org

How to back up third party apps with Desktop Manager:

1. Connect your device to the PC.
    2. Launch Desktop Manager.
    3. Click on Device and select Switch Device. Your device will display on the screen.
    4. Click Next.
    5. Leave only the box for Third Party apps checked. Click Next.
    6. DM will proceed to back up your apps.
    7. When the prompt to connect the new device comes up, DO NOTHING!
    8. Do a search on your PC for a file that is your device's PIN number. You want the one that has the .alx extension. Make sure it has the current date associated with it in case it's an older file.
    9. Once you've found this file, move it to your desktop or somewhere you'll remember where to find it.
    10. Close down Desktop Manager and you've backed up your third party apps!

Once you're at the point where you're ready to reload your OS, you'll then use this file to load back all your third party apps.
    well, i'm stuck at the point of searching for my pin number as doing so produces no results. i even tried doing a search for blackberry hoping it would be in a subfolder and still nothing. well, seeing as how i don't have that many apps, i'll just write them down and redownload them as necessary...thanks again. i'll be back with my results...

Make sure your search starts from the root of your C: drive.

The file will be {pinNumber}.alx

ok, so i did the search under removable disk which is my connected blackberry and i found my pin number on that but my concern at the moment is if i create a shortcut to the desktop will it remove all my apps from my phone? i ask since you said the folder would be in my pc which it wasn't so i don't want to make a crucial mistake; i know that removing the apps for later is what i'm trying to do but since i haven't been able to remove the OS just yet (i'm at work) will doing so leave my phone empty until i decide to put them back?...and speaking of removing the OS i tried doing a search to launch bbsak and it couldn't find it even though when i downloaded it allowed me to save the file since it couldn't be opened. i saved it to the device so it could be easy to find but nothing...so i'm stuck with that as well.

Make sure your search starts from the root of your C: drive.

The file will be {pinNumber}.alx
    i did; File not Found

No, the .alx file you want should be on your PC. You don't want to go messing with any files on your device.

BBSAK will be in C:\Program Files\BBSAK.

No, the .alx file you want should be on your PC. You don't want to go messing with any files on your device.

BBSAK will be in C:\Program Files\BBSAK.
    well, now i'm confused as you explained to do a search on the c drive for my pin number.alx file....the bbsak i downloaded i did it from my device thinking it was a mobile app which i still can't find. so what you're saying is to download it from my pc...ok, i'll try that later tonight.

Sorry, yes, BBSAK gets loaded on your PC.

Sorry, yes, BBSAK gets loaded on your PC.
    ok, well bbsak has no options to remove the OS, it does have the option to load though. but by clicking on that there are no os's to load (blank window)...so i'm stuck on that... do i wipe the device and it will automatically save the os where it should and once i click restore it will give me the option to load the right os??

The option has to be there. It would say "Wipe OS"

Also, in order to load an OS, it has to be downloaded to and installed on your PC. Sounds like you haven't done that yet.

The option has to be there. It would say "Wipe OS"

Also, in order to load an OS, it has to be downloaded to and installed on your PC. Sounds like you haven't done that yet.
    nope, just has an option to wipe device...ok so as far as i know all blackberrys (all phones for that matter) come with the os installed and as far as i know there are no separate downloads for them but you are sounding like there is. so where do i find the os then. and when i do so do i proceed with "wipe device"? or will an option to "wipe os" suddenly appear?

Here is the latest OS for the 9700 from AVEA Turkey......6.0.0.576. That is a direct download so clicking on the link will download it to your PC. Then you'll click on the executable to install it to your PC.

Once that's done, you'll need to navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader. At the bottom of the page is a file called vendor.xml. Right click on it and select Delete. You'll always have to do this on an OS that isn't from your specific carrier, keeping in mind that you can load an OS from ANY carrier, so long as it is specifically for your device. In other words, you can't load an 9000 OS on your 9700.

If you've successfully wiped your OS with BBSAK and performed all the steps above, connect your device to the PC, then in that same folder as you navigated to above, towards the top you'll see an executable file called "Loader." It will have a little phone icon next to it. Double click on that and the OS installation will proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    nope, just has an option to wipe device...ok so as far as i know all blackberrys (all phones for that matter) come with the os installed and as far as i know there are no separate downloads for them but you are sounding like there is. so where do i find the os then. and when i do so do i proceed with "wipe device"? or will an option to "wipe os" suddenly appear?
    Then you did something wrong. There should be an option for "Wipe OS"

Yes, all BlackBerry phones come with an OS installed, however, if you want to upgrade your OS you have to do what I described above.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast