Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ok, so ever since i upgraded to OS6 a few weeks ago my bold constantly ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Optimus no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Constant waiting problem

Advertisement

Ok, so ever since i upgraded to OS6 a few weeks ago my bold constantly goes into the little "waiting clock" in the middle of the screen...my phone says it has 25mb. of free memory when it comes to apps but when i go into status information is says 0 bytes of free memory, which i don't understand why. I didn't have any of these issues with the curve and the bold is supposed to have more memory and run faster and right now it's acting inferior....there are times when i simply pick up the phone to look at the time and it goes into the "time clock waiting" for a good 20 min or more...even when i simply scroll through the dates on my calendar it happens....any pointers on how to eliminate this before i decide to send it in for repairs?...and yes i've cleared cashes, and deleted apps i do not use, i think i have about 15 3rd party apps in total, the biggest one being bbm at about 3.1mb.... and i don't even know if it's the lack of memory that actually causes this....this is really getting frustrating.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Which OS6 did you upgrade to? Maybe a reload is in order or another version. Sounds like to me the upgrade did not go well I have a 9700 Bold and love it never had this issue.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    This is definitely not right. As Papa suggested, load a different OS on it and see if that helps.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Did you shrink your OS? I am running 6.0.0.546 and have no issues, despite having more than twice the number of apps, but I shrunk my OS.

Well, the only upgrade i got was from tmobile which is 6.0.0.448 - platform 6.6.0.124...just an hour ago it sat in the "waiting" mode for 40 min. and when it was done i checked for a text message and it sat there again for another 15 min. eventually i pulled the battery since a reboot is now quicker than waiting for it to process whatever it is it's doing. needless to say that it's taking it's toll on my battery life each time it does this now. ...as far as the installation goes, it initially went fine cause no errors were reported and everything worked just fine...

it would do this processing thing at random every once in a blue moon after the installation which would take just a couple of minutes or so and from what i understand that is normal as the phone trys to free up memory space when it does this, but as the weeks went by it began to do this more often and for longer periods. now it's doing it constantly just by me scrolling through apps or checking a message...

i guess, i'll plug it in to desktop manager and do a backup and try to reinstall everything again and see what happens i'd rather not do that if it's just going to play the waiting game again.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    My daughter has the same phone with TMobile, she did the same upgrade but she said it was working fine, although she doesn't have many apps on it and is constantly complaining about memory issues. Unfortunately the phone died this weekend whilst she was traveling in Dallas, she was told that because the camera lens was scratched her warrenty was void, the extended insurance she has offered her a refurbished phone for $150 she is now moving away from TMobile. I digress, I suggest that something may have gone wrong during the upgrade, so it may well be worth doing a wipe after you have backed it up and then re-install the operating system. An alternative possibility is that one of the Apps or a theme you have on the phone may not be compatible with OS 6. Just a thought. Good luck.

chantal7399 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21A1626C
    I was getting the 'waiting' clock, but the software upgrade fixed it. but i'm tempted to go back to the old software as the new browser sucks.

i can't believe they got rid of column view. this browser is just horrible.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I really like the new browser, but I suppose it depends how you use it. If you like other features of OS 6, have you tried Opera Mini, it is a very nice browser, format is good and is easy to read on the phone.

type m.opera.com from your phone browser.

Ok, so i plugged in to the desktop manager to wipe it but i didn't see an option to remove the OS specifically. I'm reluctant to do a full wipe because the 1st time i upgraded the OS and did a backup none of the apps i previously had were transfered so i had to re-download them 1 by 1...also, just by looking at the apps organizer i now have 2mb of free memory which i don't know how since the last time i had at least 19mb and i haven't downloaded anything since then...is there a way to see what is using up my memory?....i don't download songs cause i use pandora or slacker for my music now. i have 56 pictures in the camera pictures folder and about 765 in the memory card...also i saw that in the options to wipe the device from the phone itself it says in red letters that after doing so "i cannot send or receive emails from the device"... is this a permanent thing or will EVERYthing be "restored" once i hit restore?

Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    I really like the new browser, but I suppose it depends how you use it. If you like other features of OS 6, have you tried Opera Mini, it is a very nice browser, format is good and is easy to read on the phone.

type m.opera.com from your phone browser.
    i found opera mini NOT to be compatible with the 6.0 as when i upgraded it would skip during scrolling or freeze. i even ended up taking it off and when i went to download again it said there was not a version available for my device....i ended up using the native browser which isn't too bad except when doing tab browsing it ends up telling me "the page is too big to load and needs to close" which ends up closing any and all tabs...one thing convenient about opera mini was the zooming in and ease of tab browsing but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Did you shrink your OS? I am running 6.0.0.546 and have no issues, despite having more than twice the number of apps, but I shrunk my OS.
    how do you shrink the OS and what is the benefit of doing so? because as it stands i can't really add more apps even though i have about 15 of them of which i only really use 3 regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    This is definitely not right. As Papa suggested, load a different OS on it and see if that helps.
    a different OS like from a different carrier? wouldn't that limit it's functionality? not to mention brick my device? I'm hearing rumors of OS7 being just around the corner, should i just wait for that instead?

....also after i plugged it into desktop manager to remove some apps i wasn't using (yet i somehow ended up with less memory anyway) i notice that the appworld icon is gone from my device. when i go into options and 3rd party apps it used to show those so called 3rd party apps now it shows nothing. and as for the app world, it shows it in the apps management but nowhere on the device, even by doing a search for it it shows nothing...i just don't get it...i would call tmobile but they tend to troubleshoot from their "troubleshooting book" which if they can't find a similar problem then they'll have me send it in...now i have the device insured so i'm tempted to do so and get a more upgraded bold or whatever is the "latest and greatest"...blackberry that is.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    First, you can't wipe your OS with Desktop Manager......you'll need jl_cmndr or better yet, download an app called BBSAK (BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife). It's a neat little utility you can use to wipe the OS, among other things.

Once you download BBSAK, connect your device, then launch BBSAK. It'll ask you for a password. If you don't have one set for your device, just click OK. You'll then see the option to Wipe OS.

BBSAK will also allow you to back up your third party apps, but I prefer using Desktop Manager to do that. Don't like the way BBSAK restores the apps. Let me know if you want help with this.

There are utilities out there to help you shrink your OS. BB Boss is one of them. I downloaded it, but never used it.....switched to iPhone.

It doesn't matter what carrier the OS is from as long as it's specifically for your device. You just need to delete a vendor-related file and you're all set. And no, it won't ruin your device. OS7 will NOT be compatible with older devices at all, so no point in waiting for that.

As for AppWorld, just go to www.blackberry.com/appworld and redownload it. Yeah, it still shows in application manager, but this is a known bug with AppWorld......the icon disappearing after an upgrade. Annoying for sure, but RIM is aware of it and working on a fix.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    How to back up third party apps with Desktop Manager:

1. Connect your device to the PC.
    2. Launch Desktop Manager.
    3. Click on Device and select Switch Device. Your device will display on the screen.
    4. Click Next.
    5. Leave only the box for Third Party apps checked. Click Next.
    6. DM will proceed to back up your apps.
    7. When the prompt to connect the new device comes up, DO NOTHING!
    8. Do a search on your PC for a file that is your device's PIN number. You want the one that has the .alx extension. Make sure it has the current date associated with it in case it's an older file.
    9. Once you've found this file, move it to your desktop or somewhere you'll remember where to find it.
    10. Close down Desktop Manager and you've backed up your third party apps!

Once you're at the point where you're ready to reload your OS, you'll then use this file to load back all your third party apps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast