Not typical... I have a unique issue that I can connect to one laptop, and ... BlackBerry Bold forum

sdeeter19555 no está en línea Stack level 2

Connection Issues

Advertisement

Not typical...

I have a unique issue that I can connect to one laptop, and not another. I can bring my 9700 home, hook up to my MSI and no issues (other than maybe I'll need to restart my machine), but my work computer (a Dell) will recognize its connected to a 9700, but will not allow me to do anything? It will also give me an insufficient voltage to charge error at times. It won't even allow me to back up.

The constants are the same cable, windows XP, and the same DM 6.0...the only difference is the computer. The Dell has been checked for USB operation (indicates working normally)...

Any ideas? Really makes work a pain because I can't "tether"...

Does the 9700 connect in mass storage mode to the Dell? The answer to this would indicate whether the problem is the Dell or the Bold. Just right off the top of my head, my first impulse is that the installation of the Desktop Software 6 on the Dell is corrupt, and needs a re-install. Second guess (and this one's a stretch) is that the Dell has a weak battery, since the 9700 not charging is one of the symptoms . . .

sdeeter19555 no está en línea Stack level 2
    No, the 9700 doesn't connect to the Dell in Mass Storage....

Desktop 6.0 was just installed, however it didn't work with 5.0 either...that's the reason I installed 6.0, thinking 5.0 was corrupted.

It does this when the Dell is docked and plugged into shore power...and the battery is less than 5 months old (it was just recently replaced).

What gets me is that it DID work on this Dell...it has only recently (past 3 to 5 months) given issues. It was the Dell's connection issues that caused my 9700 to crash and require a complete reload (lost everything)...

The next logical step is to blame the phone, since both mass-storage and the Desktop software are having problems with it. However, the stickler is that the phone connects fine on your home laptop - except that you have to reboot the computer sometimes to make it work. Next logical step is to borrow a friend's BlackBerry, preferably a 9700, but definatly something running 5.0+ and see if it connects correctly. In the event that another BB is not available, any modern smartphone will work to test the computer's ability to connect mass-storage, and to connect to the Desktop software using the "switch device" option. If the test phone connects correctly, then I think you either have a bad usb port on the 9700 (unlikely, but possible) or a OS software problem. Software problem on the 9700 is the more likely of the two since it connects with your home laptop ok . . .
    Last edited by Mark Stone; 08-24-2010 at 12:04 AM. Reason: badd punctuation

Also, another idea is to re-install the usb drivers on your Dell . . .

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I'm dealing with this issue with my 8120 but I'm beginning to lean toward the fact that it's the USB port because my 8100 and my HTC Touch Pro 2 both still connect to my PC at home (the only one I have right now). I'm getting a new netbook in a couple weeks so I will see if that's the problem before I start swapping out phones for replacements.