Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Wondering if anyone is successfully using their unlocked bold with tmo. Would love to know ... BlackBerry Bold forum

ocanyc no está en línea Stack level 4

Confused: Can you use an unlocked bold with tmo?

Advertisement

Wondering if anyone is successfully using their unlocked bold with tmo. Would love to know how.

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    From what has been reported, yes. EXCEPT you will have no 3G.

Thanks for your reply but that still sounds iffy lol.

I can do without the 3g, but if I decide to get an unlocked bold and find out I cant get emails or use the internet. I mean if it works , it'll recieve the EDGE network correct? What is needed exactly for it to work. I hope someone who is successfully using the bold confirms this.

supraholic no está en línea Stack level 1
    T-Mobile is a GSM network and the Bold is a Quad band GSM phone, it really is that simple. An unlocked Bold should have no problems functioning with your T-Mobile plan.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by GregGebhardt View Post
    From what has been reported, yes. EXCEPT you will have no 3G.
    This is 100% correct, you may use an unlocked Bold with T-Mobile, running at EDGE speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocanyc View Post
    There is nothing iffy about it.

T-Mobiles 3G protocol and frequencies are different than AT&T, so the phone will revert back to EDGE. As long as you understand and accept that you are fine. It will work just fine. You will have full email and internet functionality at EDGE speeds only. No question about it.

PIN/ID
    No Way

I can do without the 3g, but if I decide to get an unlocked bold and find out I cant get emails or use the internet. I mean if it works , it'll recieve the EDGE network correct? What is needed exactly for it to work. I hope someone who is successfully using the bold confirms this.
    There is nothing "iffy" about it.

I have a very good friend who is using her new Rogers Bold on T-Mo every day. She has a Blackberry Plan and it works perfectly. The only difference is that she can not use 3G on the T-Mo network only EDGE. I have used it and it works nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    This is 100% correct, you may use an unlocked Bold with T-Mobile, running at EDGE speed.
    There is nothing iffy about it.

T-Mobiles 3G protocol and frequencies are different than AT&T, so the phone will revert back to EDGE. As long as you understand and accept that you are fine. It will work just fine. You will have full email and internet functionality at EDGE speeds only. No question about it.
    Oh ok, its a little clearer. I was reading a few different threads where people werent receiving emails or not being able to use the internet because of whatever reason, not sure why they were having issues then.

Now then the only decision I have to make is, do I want to wait for the official javelin release or just get an unlocked bold. Either way they both wont have 3G. I've played with 3G on the G1(which I gladly returned), and honestly didnt notice any ground breaking speed differences so not that concerned about not having 3G.

Has the bold received better reviews than the Javelin?

Quote Originally Posted by supraholic View Post
    T-Mobile is a GSM network and the Bold is a Quad band GSM phone, it really is that simple. An unlocked Bold should have no problems functioning with your T-Mobile plan.
    The statement above is wrong information.

T-Mobile’s 3G network operates on different frequencies than AT&T’s, therefore the Bold _WILL NOT_ work on T-Mobiles 3G network.

AT&T 3G operates on: UMTS: 2100/1900/850 MHz

T-Mobile 3G operates on: UMTS: 2100/1700 MHz

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    This is wrong information.

T-Mobile’s 3G network operates on different frequencies than AT&T’s, therefore the Bold _WILL NOT_ work on T-Mobiles 3G network.

AT&T 3G operates on: UMTS: 2100/1900/850 MHz

T-Mobile 3G operates on: UMTS: 2100/1700 MHz
    Anyway to tweak the device frequency?

PIN/ID
    No Way

Has the bold received better reviews than the Javelin?
    It is likely a little early for reviews of the Javelin v.s. the Bold but from what I hear they are quite simular.

No, no way to change the freq. on a Blackberry device.

djransom no está en línea Stack level 1
    T-Mo do NOT have BOLD service books so that's where the problems may come in with receiving emails and other data as well. There is a stickied thread on Crackberry that outlines how to get MMS, Browsing, etc to work on the BOLD for T-Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by GregGebhardt View Post
    It is likely a little early for reviews of the Javelin v.s. the Bold but from what I hear they are quite simular.

No, no way to change the freq. on a Blackberry device.
    You are using it already? If so, what device did you come from?

Anyway to tweak the device frequency?
    Yes you could tweak the Bold by running over it with a Hummer H-1, but I'm not sure if it would work after that.....jk....

Quote Originally Posted by djransom View Post
    T-Mo do NOT have BOLD service books so that's where the problems may come in with receiving emails and other data as well. There is a stickied thread on Crackberry that outlines how to get MMS, Browsing, etc to work on the BOLD for T-Mobile.
    Uh oh, see this is what I was referring to. I'll have to read that thread, wonder how tedious, or if you have to constantly do it.

PIN/ID
    No Way
    You are using it already? If so, what device did you come from?
    I am using a Rogers Bold on the AT&T network. I have a 8820 and Red/Black Curve also. (Go DAWGS!)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast