Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Here, to celebrate my 2,000th post on the stacks I decided to do a little ... BlackBerry Bold forum

PIN/ID
    AskMe

Post A comprehensive guide to buying and setting up your new BB Bold 9000

Advertisement

Here, to celebrate my 2,000th post on the stacks I decided to do a little write up of the steps i always do whenever I get a new blackberry and in this case the Blackberry Bold 9000.

First off, buying the Bold.
    Since some of you already know i work in the wireless industry i am going to give you some insider knowledge about buying your new Bold.
    First of all, always try to deal with Corporate Stores.
    The way it works in Canada (im not sure about the US but i would assume its the same) is that whenever a corporate store gets a blackberry returned to them be it on "buyer's remorse" or "faulty", they have to and MUST return the Blackberry to either carrier they represent and write it off their inventory.
    If you go to a reseller, they allow themselves the right to check the phone, reset it and sell it as brand new.
    Outrageous but true.
    Therefore, my big advice is : Whenever you are buying a Blackberry, always request a sealed box to be opened in front of you if you want the clerk to set it up - or a sealed box to take home if you know what you are doing.

Next, unboxing.
    My next step is whenever i get home, I do a thorough unboxing and go through every single little detail to make sure everything is there and nothing is missing/deffective.
    Next I take the unit in hand and carefully look over it to make sure nothing is loose, cracked etc... (believe me ive seen Curve's BRAND NEW with a cracked screen STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX).

Next, powering it on and updating it.
    After a thorough unit examination I then proceed on powering on the device and making sure the keys and other buttons/trackball work correctly.

After that, I plug my device to my computer.
    Now before you do that, always make sure you have the latest Destop Manager Software installed on your computer (just to be safe) (link below).
    Desktop manager 4.6 (thanks Cherri for the link).
    I then proceed on updating my device to the latest OS to make sure I have the best experience I can have with it.
    You can follow this step by step tutorial if you dont know how to update your device :
    Here’s a quick How To on installing 4.x.
    Follow these instructions exactly and you should be able to have OS 4.x working.

1.) BACK UP YOUR DATA! - I can’t stress how important it is to get a good backup in the event you need to restore your data.

2.) Verify that you are using the latest version of Desktop Manager. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager. In the Desktop manager program on your PC use the Help menu and select About Desktop Manager. If you need the latest version follow this link.

3.) If you haven’t already, download lastest OS 4.x from this link or if available from your carrier its BEST to download here (select carrier)

4.) Install 4.x using the .exe file you just downloaded. If you are downloading the OS specific for your carrier you can skip step 5. I other words if upgrading a T-Mobile BlackBerry with T-Mobile OS then you can skip this step. However, if you have an At&T Wireless Blackberry and the OS is non-At&T eg. from Vodafone, you MUST follow step 5.

5.) Delete the ‘Vendor.xml’ file ( C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader ) Or search your computer’s hard drive for the “vendor.xml” file. Once you find it, delete it.

6.) Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer. If prompted, type your BlackBerry device password and click OK.

7.) Open Desktop Manager. It should recognize that there is an upgrade for your device. (’Vendor.xml‘ must be deleted for this step to work).

When the Application Loader Wizard is finished examining the configuration on the BlackBerry device, the Device Application Selection screen appears listing the applications and OS version available for installation. The selected check boxes indicate applications that are already installed on the BlackBerry device.

9) If you didn’t backup first you should select to do so now.

10) Follow the prompts and you will have OS 4.x installed in about 15 to 20 minutes.

No credit goes to me for this tutorial its all Twheeler's work.
    At the moment the most updated and official OS is the one linked to below (I will try to keep it up to date) :

Code:
    Software Download for TIM Italy

Downloading BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.6.0.326 (Multilanguage)  

Details

Name:     BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.6.0.326 (Multilanguage)        
    File Name:     9000M_PBr4.6.0_rel326_PL4.0.0.169_A4.6.0.185_TIM_I  taly.exe        
    Download Size:     93.466 Mb        
    Language:     English       
    Published Date:     11/11/2008

Link : https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...190CAAD5802983
    After the update process is done, I proceed to synchronise my contacts, calendars and other email addresses and then setup my settings the way I like them.
    Now a lot of people would use the "Switch Device" option you can find in the DM but I strongly suggest starting from scratch as a fresh install is always better.

After all this I lay back and enjoy my device to the fullest !

If anybody has any questions feel free to post them !

Thanks again Hayden and the Pinstack team for allowing me to make great friends on the forum and for being able to share my passion with other people that are as addicted to Blackberrys as I am.

Ranxoren ... Out.

ps: if anybody thinks this should be sticky-ed please go ahead and do it .
    Last edited by ranxoren; 11-13-2008 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling mistake.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    a 105 views and not a single answer or anything ? wow .... is it THAT bad ?

Edit : A LOT of people have added me on BBM since i wrote this. I definitely dont mind it because ive been helping people for a while now but please keep all questions and concern in this thread so EVERYBODY can learn from them.

Thanks a lot
    Last edited by ranxoren; 11-13-2008 at 12:08 PM.

zsafwan no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    255BA476
    Hello,
    I had my BOld for a month now, loving it.

I am still using .126 and wants to update to the latest version. tired to download using the above link it is very slow and after long time waiting it did not download. I found the .190 and downloaded it from rapidshare.

do you recommend using .190 or trying to download the .185 again.

this is the 1st time I update BlackBerry device.

Thanks

/zsafwan

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by zsafwan View Post
    Hello,
    I had my BOld for a month now, loving it.

I am still using .126 and wants to update to the latest version. tired to download using the above link it is very slow and after long time waiting it did not download. I found the .190 and downloaded it from rapidshare.

do you recommend using .190 or trying to download the .185 again.

this is the 1st time I update BlackBerry device.

Thanks

/zsafwan
    Because this is your first time I would recommend using the .185 as it is an official OS and therefore youll be taking less chances using it.
    Just give the download another try and then follow all the steps in the tutorial.

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    Nice write up ranx! I was wondering what you were gonna do for 2k...

Great tip on the coporate store buying... I didn't know that...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    255BA476
    I am downloading the .185 again and getting only 20KB/S it says 1h30. at the same time I am backing up my Bold now.

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    a 105 views and not a single answer or anything ? wow .... is it THAT bad ?

Edit : A LOT of people have added me on BBM since i wrote this. I definitely dont mind it because ive been helping people for a while now but please keep all questions and concern in this thread so EVERYBODY can learn from them.

Thanks a lot
    Thanks for the great tutorial. I think this will help out a lot of newer stackers and perhaps even some seasoned members as well

PIN/ID
    24b04967
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ as of now, which Bold os has been the most effective against battery drainage and memory loss? .185?

PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Quote Originally Posted by joewoo View Post

Neither did I!! But it makes total sense

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Here, to celebrate my 2,000th post on the stacks.

my big advice is : Whenever you are buying a Blackberry, always request a sealed box to be opened in front of you.
    Congrats on your 2,000th post!

Nice write up. A great reminder / guideline for those who are new.

I've always found it odd that whenever I buy a new phone at anyone of the several AT&T corp stores I deal with, the boxes are never sealed. It's something that has always bothered me, since there is no way for me to be assured that it's the first time the box was opened and that the phone has not been handled, or dropped. And if dropped while still in it's plastic it would not show any damage unless it was dented or had a flat spot, at which point I'm sure the would take it out of inventory. But nonetheless I always feel uncomfortable when buying a new phone in a box that is not sealed.

So my question to you is, how are they sealed?
    Are they in clear shrink wrapped plastic? Or do they have one of those large round thick, clear plastic adhesive seals that they use on boxed software. The ones that are placed on the bottom middle edge of the lid where it closes down on the bottom edge of the box?

Cheers !

PIN/ID
    255BA476
    What is the latest Dm version?
    after downloading from the above link and installing I am still getting 4.6.0.12 May 22 2008. Is is the latest?

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by joewoo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jaesternbach View Post
    Neither did I!! But it makes total sense
    Its sad but definitely true.

Quote Originally Posted by jaesternbach View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ as of now, which Bold os has been the most effective against battery drainage and memory loss? .185?
    I honestly skipped .185 all together because i went from .168 to .190 and Ive never had the battery or memory loss problems people have been talking about since .126 so I cant really answer that.
    I will say tho that .190 is the best OS ive used and ive read reports that .185 is also really good with those issues.

Quote Originally Posted by zsafwan View Post
    What is the latest Dm version?
    after downloading from the above link and installing I am still getting 4.6.0.12 May 22 2008. Is is the latest?
    Yes i believe that would be it -as long as you have 4.6 youre fine

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Congrats on your 2,000th post!

Nice write up. A great reminder / guideline for those who are new.

I've always found it odd that whenever I buy a new phone at anyone of the several AT&T corp stores I deal with, the boxes are never sealed. It's something that has always bothered me, since there is no way for me to be assured that it's the first time the box was opened and that the phone has not been handled, or dropped. And if dropped while still in it's plastic it would not show any damage unless it was dented or had a flat spot, at which point I'm sure the would take it out of inventory. But nonetheless I always feel uncomfortable when buying a new phone in a box that is not sealed.

So my question to you is, how are they sealed?
    Are they in clear shrink wrapped plastic? Or do they have one of those large round thick, clear plastic adhesive seals that they use on boxed software. The ones that are placed on the bottom middle edge of the lid where it closes down on the bottom edge of the box?

Cheers !
    They are indeed sealed with the "large round thick, clear plastic adhesive seals" you are referring to. On the Bold it would be at the bottom of the flap as well as on the sides. So basically three transparent adhesive seals on a BRAND NEW bold box.
    Mind you this is the Canadian packaging I dont know about ATT's rules.
    Last edited by ranxoren; 11-13-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    How can you tell a Corporate Store from a franchise store?

You are not refering to Wireless Wave, Telephone Booth etc?

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    How can you tell a Corporate Store from a franchise store?

You are not refering to Wireless Wave, Telephone Booth etc?
    Corporate stores when it comes to rogers : Rogers+ / Rogers Video stores.

Franchise : Wireless Wave, Tbooth etc... indeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast