Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi Everyone! After a 2 year hiatus with an iPhone, I decided I missed the ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Emmett no está en línea Stack level 1

Coming back to Blackberry phones; Question about Voice Recording on 9700

Advertisement

Hi Everyone! After a 2 year hiatus with an iPhone, I decided I missed the physical keyboard and awesome email on a Blackberry, so I just bought the Bold 9700. One of the apps I hoped to make a lot of use of while I'm driving is the Voice Recorder/Voice Notes app(s). I set my left convenience key to allow me to take short voice notes while I drive. (The phone is mounted on my dash) Anyway, I'm finding the app to be very buggy and super unstable; locks up, won't pause, won't stop, etc. Anyone else have these issues? Any workarounds? Is there something I'm doing in another app that is somehow conflicting? Is there a more stable app out there? Anyway, glad to be back. Thanks!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Welcome back, Emmett! You've been a member here for almost four years, but this is your very first post! Congrats!

What carrier are you on? What OS is on your device? You might want to check out upgrading the OS to see if that doesn't resolve your issue. The latest releases are stickied to the top of the 9700 forums.

Let us know if you need assistance with the upgrade.

Hi Roger,
    Thanks for getting back to me. I'm with AT&T. My OS is version 5.0.0.405. My prior experience was with the old 8700 model, and (at least back then) the only reliable way to get any software onto the phone was 'over the air". I'm a Mac user, using MarkSpace's "the Missing Sync", and have no idea if software or firmware can be reliably installed from their synching app to my 9700. So, yes, I could definitely use some help here. Thanks again!

P.S. I believe there is an actual RIM Desktop manager for Macs for my phone, but my understanding is that it requires Mac OS 10.6, and I'm still running OS 10.4.11. (Hence the 3rd party synching software)

And finally, I've looked at some apps on RIM's Blackberry App World site; again, can those apps be purchased "over the air"? (for instance I downloaded the free Google Maps app over the air from their mobile site) I've sent in a question to Mark-Space as to using their synching software to install apps, etc., but as yet haven't heard back.

I'm not familiar with the Mac version of DM and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can do the same on a Mac as you can on Windows and circumvent DM altogether by using the Loader executable in the AppLoader folder that is installed as part of the OS package.

Once you've downloaded the OS of your choice (.743 is the most current official OS, but there is a .862 beta out in the wild), follow the instructions in this thread using the Alternative Upgrade/Installation Instructions.

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    Emmett you should be able to use DM for Mac to upgrade your OS-
    have you looked in to vlingo for voice notes, voice memos ?
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

Serviiciio,
    Thanks for your input. Because I'm on an older Mac, I don't believe I can use RIM's DM. VLingo looks interesting; it seems to be for more involved stuff, like speaking & having emails read back to you; so it would function well as a basic "voice note" app? The main thing I'd like is a stable app; as I mentioned, the Voice Recorder/Voice Memos apps on the 9700 (for some reason) are completely unstable & unusable. Because of my "older Mac" status, I may not be able to figure out a way to upgrade the OS.

Emmett, like I said above, you should be able to upgrade using the method I described circumventing the DM altogether. Give it a shot!

Hi Roger, as far as I know there is nothing on the install CD that came with my Blackberry that will run on my Mac; I'll double-check, of course. I did look at the thread you mentioned, and there still has to be some way, via your desktop computer, to execute a file and send it as an install. I'll send a note to RIM, and I've sent a note to Mark-Space to see if their synching app will allow me to install an OS update.

Can't you run an executable file (.exe) from a Mac?

If you are talking about files that end in .exe, no. The Mac OS does not have a program that will recognize those files.

Sorry, just asked a friend of mine on a Mac if you can run .exe files and he said no, you can't.

He's running Windows in parallel with the Mac OS, so worst case, you could do the same.

zipped no está en línea Stack level 3
    In terms of the application itself, I have a 9700 and I use the voice notes, I am using .862 but have used the previous versions.
    I haven't experienced issues with the app. In fact the voice recording at the moment is so clear its crazy.
    Any chance you can run the ota update on your phone via AT&T to at least bring your phone up to 5.0.0.602 (official AT&T release)?
    I am on T-Mo, but I can go to options, advanced options, then click wireless update. Might want to check if you have that option.

Zipped,
    Thanks so much; you're right, somehow I missed the wireless update in advanced options. (I probably thought it was just about my AT&T settings) Also, RIM's site doesn't specifically say that you can do it this way, but they do say that you can check with your service provider. I already downloaded 5.0.0.602 onto the phone, and scheduled it for later this evening, as I need to use my phone today. How long did it take for you? (the menu says a number of hours) Also, big thanks to Roger G. & Serviiciio for chiming in. RIM says you can do updates with their current Mac software, but my OS isn't supported by them. (I think I'm long overdue for a new computer!)
    Now let's hope the Voice Recorder app runs a little better!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast