Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

i took apart the little ball holder from my curve... the rollers are soo small ... BlackBerry Bold forum

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F

Advertisement

i took apart the little ball holder from my curve... the rollers are soo small and thin.. and theyre little tiny magnets... im made a mess of it...
    torched!

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    It is easy to do. I always have a second one sitting beside me when I take them apart so I can reference it to reassemble the unit correctly (did one backwards once before I started doing that). lol

Zo

belize2004 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Atomic Trackball

blackberry8100parts .com now has the Atomic Trackball in stock.
    Its silky smooth not Gritty.
    You can install it on the Curve or Pearl you just have to use the old style chrome ring though.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Theyy are expensive there $19

cnn.cn has them for $10 here: http://cnn.cn/shop/blackberry-curve-...ll-p-3968.html

Slower shipping since coming from china, but I have purchased several trackballs from them and the quality has been better than the ones I bought from the US.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    The "atomic" trackball is pure hype. It's still a trackball with no more dirt, dust, debris resistance than a white trackball. It was a stupid move for RIM to go backwards & change to a captive trackball which cannot be removed as easily as the 81xx, 83xx, 88xx series.
    Why do you think that years ago trackball equipped PowerBooks, Toshiba, & Panasonic laptops went to touchpads? A trackball is too vulnerable to liquids, skin oils, dirt & debris.

RIM did an excellent job on the first gen removable easily serviced or replaced ball, then backwards to one that the average user cannot deal with thereby making the BOLD an expensive throwaway phone. AND giving Apple more ammunition to bash it, as the iPhone is maintenance free, plus $100 less. Stupid decision RIM! Not everyone can afford $300 for a new Bold every year +/- a few months. Absurd!

~via BoldBerry (wap.pinstack.com)~

duilsko no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    25675D70
    I have me Bold 6 weeks, the trackball is starting to go already. My only option is to take it back for a swap out (they replace it with a refurbished phone)
    For the money this thing cost me I would expect a whole lot more. I had the same problem with my pearls. I don't buy a phone expecting to change parts every few weeks. I love the phone for its features but can't help feeling cheated out of my very hard earned money.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Like I told you previously Leonard, I both agree and disagree with you.

I agree in the sense that it was easier to replace and clean and all the other great points you made.

Where i disagree is in the sense that roughly 75% of users WILL NOT be replacing/cleaning their trackballs themselves, fearing to mess up their device or void their warranty.
    Therefore RIM decided to place the trackball in in a more secure manner on the Bold and Javelin.
    This makes it stronger, safer since they know 75% of users won't replace it anyways.

Now what I think is that the remaining 25% that used to do it on previous devices WILL FIND A WAY TO REPLACE/CLEAN IT on the newer devices.
    RIM makes the 75% happy and the 25% well they know they'll find a way

As for the Atomic trackball I agree with you its still another trackball but i have to say that I found it to be smoother and more resistant to dirt.

Dont you agree ?

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    RIM did an excellent job on the first gen removable easily serviced or replaced ball, then backwards to one that the average user cannot deal with thereby making the BOLD an expensive throwaway phone. AND giving Apple more ammunition to bash it, as the iPhone is maintenance free, plus $100 less. Stupid decision RIM! Not everyone can afford $300 for a new Bold every year +/- a few months. Absurd!
    I have to agree with you. One of the biggest worries I have with moving to the Bold I'd the trackball. So far it's fine, but in one year I went through two or three with my curve.

Guess I'll have no choice but to deal with warranty replacement or learn to do it myself.

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Unfortunately I have to agree with all of the above. From the top down, RIM employees use their products, and by prior design must know that the assembly needs to be taken out for maintenance.
    It's beyond me why they'd adopt such a configuration. I'll probably keep my 8310 running until they correct this, and abandon plans for the Javelin...

I'm just getting ready to order an atomic trackball, just because i change mine when they get dirty looking and if they are black to start with then I might not have to change them so frequently

My job is very messy, hands always full of glues, dyes, paints and more......my poor trackballs get dirty very fast!
    Twitter? My Apps List

I can easily take my Bold apart for any reason but that's not the point. What if a regular user LOVES their Bold & want to use it for two years, when the trackball suddenly needs attention at month 10?

I have a friend who just got his Rogers 8900. We brought it into my "shop" remember I was a auto racer, tech, & race car builder. so I have precision tools of all sizes & the skill to do anything. I'm also a trained watch maker thus I have tiny tools magnifiers etc. So anyway I inspected the "ball & seat" mechanism of the 8900 & yes the ball is smoother but only because it does not have a micro texture to its surface. The rest is the same there is no teflon seal or anything special to keep out dirt dust & debris. It the same cheap system but with "Apple Hype" added. Heh! Can you tell I'm disgusted with RIM"s choice?

I am honest & simply tell it like it is. I don't live in denial. I am not a "fanboi". I am skilled, & pro customer. Period.

I am a raving advocate when they get it right and honest when they don't.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I see your point. I guess you are right, people should have the choice to replace their trackball if needed.
    My warranty point is not valid as you just made me realize that not everybody changes devices like we do lol.
    Somebody can keep their Bold for a long time and say trackball "dies" at month 14 the device is already out of manufacturer's warranty.

True.

You just got me disgusted with that choice too lol.
    And i was trying to defend RIM ... Good call on the "Apple Hype"

Quote Originally Posted by Berryadict View Post
    Unfortunately I have to agree with all of the above. From the top down, RIM employees use their products, and by prior design must know that the assembly needs to be taken out for maintenance.
    It's beyond me why they'd adopt such a configuration. I'll probably keep my 8310 running until they correct this, and abandon plans for the Javelin...
    Your choice to remain with your current BlackBerry is very smart & one I highly endorse. I screwed up my allowing myself to get caught up in the excitement & my early adopter reflex kicked in.
    The 83xx is the best BlackBerry ever..period. Perfect? No. Best compromise of features & benefits? YES! A brilliant model that we will look back on as one of the greats, you mark my words on that one.
    My problem?
    I'm a very passionate RIM supporter & advocate, therefore when they do something as short sighted as the Bold/8900 captive trackballs I just get very disgusted with them.
    Heh! What a dilemma....

The way the trackballs are in the newer devices makes me less likely to get one as well and is making me lean towards the Storm if i want a new toy and still keeping my beloved 8330

I am terrified to open my BB and replace the trackball the way I would have to with the Bold. With my job I handle very fragile documents and books, some as early as the 1400's. I have no problems working with them without fear, taking them apart and restoring........but the thought of going beyond popping off the chrome plastic ring and shaking my trackball out is just
    Twitter? My Apps List

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I'm nor afraid to mess with my Bold, and probably will once it's out of warranty. But until then, if I have a trackball that's malfunctioning to the point of needing replacement, I have to go through the hassle of sending it away and being without for a week or so. Not to mention restoring the "new" (refurb unit) with my OS of choice and getting all the settings just right....

RIM should design it so a user could just change it by popping off a ring! Wait - they already designed it like that... And abandoned it

Why are we going away from maintainability in our society and choosing disposible goods?

Ah well. I do love just about everything else about my Bold!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast