Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi all: Haven't been on here for a couple of years (been away) but great ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Ruptured Teabag no está en línea Stack level 2

Car audio input problem: just plain weird....

Advertisement

Hi all: Haven't been on here for a couple of years (been away) but great to be back.

I've spend the last 2 days trying to research this problem on many forums. I know some other people have this issue but I can't find an answer.

I have a bold 9000 and have just upgraded to OS 5 (.1067)

Previously under 4.x I could play my extensive mp3 collection through my car stereo input jack with a cable. Since the OS install this no longer works.....!

The headphone output is fine (it plays through headphones, earbuds etc) and my cable and car systems are fine (wife's 8520 plays each time, first time).

This leave me looking in one of 2 directions;
    A) there is an option setting somewhere that I need to tweak (i've looked far and wide but clearly could have missed something simple)
    B) there is a bug / change within the OS

When I try try this in the car I get about 0.5 of a second playing through the speakers (and see a headphone graphic on the bold's screen) it then reverts back to the phone's speaker every time.........!

It's driving me crazy.

Has anyone seen or solved this issue?
    Does anyone use version 5.0.0.1067 with their car audio via the headphone jack?
    Any suggestions welcomed????

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Welcome back, RT!

You have a couple of options here......

First, once you connect the device via the cable to the car stereo, press the BB menu button with the media player. There will be options to activate bluetooth, headset, etc. Maybe this setting gets turned off somehow when connected?

Second (and most painful ), downgrade your OS and see if it works again......that would be one way to deduce that the issue is with the OS.

Thanks, I'll certainly look into the media player option before mulling over the downgrade.
    I'll wait a couple of days to see if anyone on the forum actually has a bold with .1067 playing to their car's system successfully.....

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I just wondered if the sound cuts out because the phone mike gets a signal. I believe the blackberry is probably set to switch of the media when calls come in.

I cannot see any other reason unless the amplifier gain on your car stereo system is overscaling the output from the phone in some way, since the output jack is specifically for headphones.

OK, I've swallowed hard and downgraded my Bolds OS back to 4.6.0.303 (a massive step back from 5.0.0.1067).
    Restored most of my apps and tried the Bold plugged into the car's MP3 input.

SUCCESS..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This proves to me that the OS was at fault.

Not sure whether to stay put on 4.6 or try an early version of 5.

Any advice???????

UPDATE
    Bought a Y splitter....no good.

Took the big step of downgrading OS back to ver 4.6, reloaded apps etc and the Bold worked FINE through my car input jack.

Next updated OS to various versions of 5.x (including .681 which my wifes 8520 has, and also plays through the car) NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING.

In all tried 3 or 4 versions of 5.x but NONE of them would play music via the headphone jack to my car system.

Eventually backtracked to 4.6 again and all is well.

Its just a real shame I can't use the latest OS software (and a good few apps and themes I'd like to) because of some bug in the software.

Does ANYONE (RIM or otherwise) have any technical reasons as to why this problem exists withn all versions of 5.x??????????????????

very frustrated............

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    This is the first I'm hearing of this issue, so don't really have any advice for you, sorry.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    I really do not know why that problem occurred. I used a 9000 until November 2010, and I was able to play music from my media card or stream Pandora with a 3.5 mm male to male cable connecting the device and the jack on my 2008 Honda Civic. I started using OS 5 on the 9000 some time in the late summer/early fall of 2009 and tried many different leaked, official, and hybrid OSes, none of which did not play music with my car speakers.

When I have time, I will load .1067 on the 9000 and see whether or not it plays media in my car. Although the device is no longer active, it would not need a SIM or active data connection to use it as an MP3 player. I will let you know what happens.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Ruptured Teabag,

I do have a couple questions for you.

Did you shrink your OS?

If so, what did you shrink?

Thanks for the thoughts. I'd be very interested to see of your bold running .1067 plays to your car.

I didn't shrink any of the OS's I loaded, just straight forward installs......

PIN/ID
    no more
    Ok. When I install it, I will not shrink it. I wanted to know in case something got shrunk out that shouldn't have.

PIN/ID
    no more
    I do not know what the issue could possibly be. I loaded .1067 on my 9000 without shrinking the OS. I chose to remove the microSD card from my 9700. Then I put the microSD card in the 9000 and walked out to my car. I connected the device to the car audio jack with a 3.5 mm male to male cable, opened music, selected a song and the music played through the car speakers. I was also able to toggle between headphones and handset. When I did so, the music switched to playing through the handset, rather than the car speakers. As soon as I switched back to headphones, the music started playing through the car speakers again.

gulp....

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    This really, needs RIM investigation to identify what is different between the OS, such that it would cause this.. even more strange is that another model of the phone does not have the problem, which then leads me to ask is it specific to the car radio, have you tried with in a different car or on you home wifi? It must be so frustrating.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    This really, needs RIM investigation to identify what is different between the OS, such that it would cause this.. even more strange is that another model of the phone does not have the problem, which then leads me to ask is it specific to the car radio, have you tried with in a different car or on you home wifi? It must be so frustrating.
    I do not know if the OP has tried different headphones. In my experiment, I tried three different sets of headphones (the BlackBerry ones, iPod headphones, and Klipsch Image S4). All headphones worked.

I also tried connecting the device to my Boston Acoustics computer speakers with the 3.5 mm male to male cable. The sound played in my computer speakers too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast