Good morning fellow stackers! I am stumped and need help. A friend sent me an ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Faulknergrrl00 no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Can't play wmv files on Bold?

Advertisement

Good morning fellow stackers! I am stumped and need help. A friend sent me an email with a wmv video attached but when I click to open the attachment, I get the prompt that says, "This attachment type cannot be viewed on your device." I looked up the specs for the Bold, and wmv is on that list. What am I doing wrong?

Also, where can I find free games for the Bold? I've researched the other threads for free games, but was hoping someone had any new links!

Thanks for your help in advance!

alryder no está en línea Stack level 3
    I'm not 100% positive but I think you have to save the attachment to your device or memory card and then open media player to view the .WMV file.

I just tried to save the attachment, but its not giving me that option. Only "Open Attachment" and that's where I get the error.

Hmm..., let me try emailing myself a .WMV file and see what happens.
    If someone else has ideas please jump in!

I emailed myself a .WMV file to both my home and work email addresses. At both addresses I was unable to click and play the attachment. On my home email address I got the option to download the attachment, which I did and it played by opening it through media player. On my work email address it did not give me the option of downloading the attachment which is what you are seeing.
    Maybe it has something to do with the way the mail server for the provider handles attachments.
    I wish I could be more help but I'm out of ideas.

I just looked in your profile and saw that you are on a corporate BES, it could be that your BES admin has a policy set that doesn't allow you to download attachments to your device.

Thank you for going above and beyond to help me! I just fowarded the email to my personal email in hopes that will be my solution. As far as being on a corporate BES, my husband is the administrator for the corporate accounts, so hopefully it won't be a problem to get that policy lifted.

Ok, I just tried to open the forwarded message on my personal email and I get this in the body of the email "Message truncated due to size." The attachment is 3MB. Is this another issue with BES?

Quote Originally Posted by Faulknergrrl00 View Post

my husband is the administrator for the corporate accounts, so hopefully it won't be a problem to get that policy lifted.

Ok, I just tried to open the forwarded message on my personal email and I get this in the body of the email "Message truncated due to size." The attachment is 3MB. Is this another issue with BES?
    It's nice to know the administrator!
    The issue with the truncated message is a size limit set by your ISP. I think AT&T DSL allows up to 10 gigabyte attachments but I know others have much lower limits. We seem to be running into walls no matter which way we turn.....

Thanks for your help. I guess there's no clear-cut answer because of all the different variables. If you find the magic solution in the future, let me know! Thanks again

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I'm running a Beta of the 5.0 OS, when I get a .WMV (as long as it's 2.9MB or less I've also found out) it will download the attachment and add a ".rem" extension that will allow it to play on my Bold's media player.

If it's worth the risk to you Faulkner I'd say check out OS 5.0 and see if it's worth it for the ability to play .WMV. If you're BES admin will let you upgrade that is.
    I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car........