Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I downloaded thems ota and through desk manager but once there on my bb I ... BlackBerry Bold forum

psylent no está en línea Stack level 1

cant get themes to work on 9700

Advertisement

I downloaded thems ota and through desk manager but once there on my bb I go to options and themes but there not there to select. There in the application 3rd party list but I can't get them to work. Any ideas?

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    This may sound obvious, but are the themes designed for the 9700? Also, where were they downloaded from? A friend or a mobile store? It could be an error in the way they were compiled. I bought a theme once from BPlay that did this.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    What youve described is typical of wrong device/wrong theme. Im betting youve downloaded a higher OS theme that is not compatible with your device. They will show up in your apps, but wont transition onto the device. Like haveing a 4.6 OS and DL a 5.0 theme, if you do it OTA, it will show but not install. If you do it via DTM and usb cable you will see a pretty red light and a continuous hourglass.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

I have version 5.0 and I've used the usb cable and I get the same result. And the themes I downloaded are for bold 9700. So I don't get it

PIN/ID
    nada
    Hmmmm. Are you able to load themes OTA?
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    nada
    FatBoy gave me a heads up here. Are you trying to DL an OTA theme through desktop manager? OTA themes will not load through DTM.

I'm a bit new to the world of 5.0, but in earlier OSs (and I don't see why not in this one) to use most downloaded themes you would need to have the Plazmic Theme Reader installed on your device - that may be an issue here

fatboy97 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    I'm a bit new to the world of 5.0, but in earlier OSs (and I don't see why not in this one) to use most downloaded themes you would need to have the Plazmic Theme Reader installed on your device - that may be an issue here
    Sorry, but there seems to be some confusing information on this thread... and maybe it's just me because I've never had a really old Blackberry... the 8900 was my first, even though my step daughter has 8320... but using Theme Builder today, and in the past with my 8900, this is how it is:

You can use Theme Builder to do 3 different things to output themes:
    1. Download the files directly to your device... great for testing new themes, but nothing else.
    2. Create theme files that can be used by DM... DM can then load these files on your device.
    3. Create OTA files, which can then be put on a Web Server (generally this means any number of files which must be put on the server along with the OTA file).

If you use option 2 and create files for DM to install on your device, these are generally zipped up in a zip file and you can download that zip file onto your PC. After unzipping the file you can use DM to install that theme on your device. Generally this means you have 2 files in this zip file and when you use DM to find these files you will pickup and find only the file that it needs to load on your device, but it needs both file in the same folder to load the theme on your device.

You can not download a OTA file and install that on your PC and then have DM install that file on your device... this does not work... you must use your BB Browser and click on that OTA link and install that theme on your device.

There might be some other tricks out there that I don't know of and how they work, but this is how I know things work as a theme developer and Blackberry user.

thats not the case. ive tried ota on phone and zip through DM.

same result on both. im not try to create themes either only download aftermarket ones onto my phone. which is my favorite park of havin a bb. but unfortunatly i can get them to work still

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    Sorry, but there seems to be some confusing information on this thread... and maybe it's just me because I've never had a really old Blackberry... the 8900 was my first, even though my step daughter has 8320... but using Theme Builder today, and in the past with my 8900, this is how it is:

You can use Theme Builder to do 3 different things to output themes:
    1. Download the files directly to your device... great for testing new themes, but nothing else.
    2. Create theme files that can be used by DM... DM can then load these files on your device.
    3. Create OTA files, which can then be put on a Web Server (generally this means any number of files which must be put on the server along with the OTA file).

If you use option 2 and create files for DM to install on your device, these are generally zipped up in a zip file and you can download that zip file onto your PC. After unzipping the file you can use DM to install that theme on your device. Generally this means you have 2 files in this zip file and when you use DM to find these files you will pickup and find only the file that it needs to load on your device, but it needs both file in the same folder to load the theme on your device.

You can not download a OTA file and install that on your PC and then have DM install that file on your device... this does not work... you must use your BB Browser and click on that OTA link and install that theme on your device.

There might be some other tricks out there that I don't know of and how they work, but this is how I know things work as a theme developer and Blackberry user.
    Yes, it is quite a bit different than on older operating systems - I used to make my own themes for BBs that came out in around 2004 - the 7100, 8700 and the 7290 - Looks like any information or experience I would have from those days would not apply these days!

PIN/ID
    nada
    Quote Originally Posted by psylent View Post
    same result on both. im not try to create themes either only download aftermarket ones onto my phone. which is my favorite park of havin a bb. but unfortunatly i can get them to work still
    Ive had roughly 30 Blackberries over the last four years, and Ive never had one do what you say is happening with yours. If your settings are correct, and you have a data plan and can connect to the interenet on your device, there is no reason why you cant download themes OTA.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    What is the theme you are trying to download and where are you downloading it from? You said it's aftermarket, so unless someone made it for you, I'm assuming it came from a developer's site or online store. Also, is this limited to only a specific theme, or ANY theme you attemp to load?
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    If the themes correctly install and they are not showing up in the theme list do a battery pull. This has worked with every device I can think of but haven't heard anyone do it with 5.0 os
    Looking for Wallpapers or Icons for making themes? I can help!

Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.

Yes exaclty they download and install correctly OTA and DM. but they dont appear in the theme list. they are however in the application list. i tried setting all the permissions to allow and doing a battery pull. it didnt work. and i forgot to mention i got one to work a long time ago but and its still in the list. its the plazmic rainforest one but i cant get any new ones to work. there all plazmic ones from various different websites and they all do the same thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast