I have tried .m.youtube.com but I get an error message... BlackBerry Bold forum

duilsko no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    25675D70

cant access utube

Advertisement

I have tried .m.youtube.com but I get an error message

siccmade no está en línea Stack level 4
    istead of m.youtube have you tried just plain ol youtube. ?
    TMO:MYTOUCH 3G SLIDE
    ROM:SlideMeRoot5r1
    KERNEL:2.6.29-5F8ED14

jusMikeP no está en línea Stack level 3
    I'm going to take a stab at it and say you are trying to access youtube from your home wifi network? I had the same problem. After googling and changing setting after setting after setting, I fixed it by giving my blackberry a static ip address on my home network and adding that ip address to the DMZ on my router. Adding it to the DMZ gives your blackberry a direct connection to the internet, rather than being hidden behind the router. I don't know why it won't work otherwise, but nonetheless, it won't.

*edit* After some thinking I realized that it wouldn't be responsible of me to suggest adding your blackberry's ip to the DMZ without further explaining the POSSIBLE consequences. While there may be no danger, I am no security expert, but I do know that by adding your blackberry to the DMZ you are exposing your device directly to the internet. It will no longer be behind your router. Even in doing so, when I check whatsmyip.com it shows my ip address as the address assigned by my BES, so it appears that all traffic still goes through my BES. I would assume that even as a BIS user, all traffice would still go through your BIS which should still offer the same level or protection. So I think that it's ok, the only danger it would seem to pose is if your next door neighbor could pick up your wireless network, he may be able to mount your blackberry as a network drive and do what he may. You should have security enabled on your wireless network anyway. Like I said I'm no security expert, but I did want to add that doing so may possiblity impose a security risk.
    Last edited by jusMikeP; 12-14-2008 at 02:16 PM.

offthahorseceo no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    Quote Originally Posted by jusMikeP View Post
    I'm going to take a stab at it and say you are trying to access youtube from your home wifi network? I had the same problem. After googling and changing setting after setting after setting, I fixed it by giving my blackberry a static ip address on my home network and adding that ip address to the DMZ on my router. Adding it to the DMZ gives your blackberry a direct connection to the internet, rather than being hidden behind the router. I don't know why it won't work otherwise, but nonetheless, it won't.
    Wow,nice work! I had the same issue but just switched off wifi for youtube. I was in a 3G area so speed and quality were still good. Is it any better (quality) over wifi?

PIN/ID
    25675D70
    No I am not using wifi just 3g

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jusMikeP no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hmmm... you shouldn't be having any problems on 3g. Which version of youtube are you trying to access (m.youtube/www.youtube)? Which carrier do you use? What's the exact error message you are getting?

Quote Originally Posted by offthahorseceo View Post
    Wow,nice work! I had the same issue but just switched off wifi for youtube. I was in a 3G area so speed and quality were still good. Is it any better (quality) over wifi?
    Unfortunately no, the quality is no better on wifi. It seems to be more of a restriction with BES (at least in my case). After beating my head against the wall for ages trying to figure out why I couldn't play a nice quality video on a phone with such a beautiful screen, I found this out: BES's restrict the size of files that can be streamed to a blackberry, the setting is very low (don't quote me but it's around 512KB or half a MB). This setting can be upped to 1MB by the BES Admin, but even 1MB severly limits the amount of high quality video you can watch from your blackberry. And 1MB is the theoretical maximum file size the current BES can allow. A high quality 1 minute movie trailer can easily hit 2MB. This is why we don't have movie trailer sites and youtube videos made to show high quality on the blackberry's screen, because most people with blackberry's are business users on BESs who couldn't watch the videos anyway if they were available. I'm hoping that RIM will address this issue to appeal more to the consumer market more, well, they will have to if they want to compete in the consumer sector. Regardless, it still ticks me off, business users want to have fun too!

I have found a couple of websites that have better quality movie clips, but you have to download the movie to your phone and then watch it. You can download larger files (I don't know if there is a download limit), you just can't stream large files.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    Try updating the firmware. I didn't get YouTube to work properly until I went to .168.

Since then, no problems

Now running .210

PIN/ID
    25675D70
    I will ring o2 today and ask if the network supports streaming video
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~