Hello everyone, I have the Bold from AT&T and recently after downloading the desktop software, ... BlackBerry Bold forum

spasell no está en línea Stack level 1

Cannot Back Up my Bold

Advertisement

Hello everyone,

I have the Bold from AT&T and recently after downloading the desktop software, I have tried to backup my device. The problem is it gets about a quarter of the way through the process and when it hits Profile in the top bar, it stops and I get an error saying "Error Backing Up Database" and then just stops.

It happens all the time when it hits Profiles, so obviously there must be an issue there, but I cannot figure out why this is happening. I REALLY need to back up my databases.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you

Sean

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Well, Sean, this has become a pretty common issue and one that has been reported to RIM.

Have you downloaded any ringtones that you are using in any of your profiles? If you don't mind losing any modifications you've made to your Profiles, you can clear the Profiles to their factory defaults through the Desktop Manager>Backup>Advanced Function.

When you're in the backup screens, press the Advanced button. Once the list of database populates on the righthand side, scroll down to Profiles, highlight it and then press the Clear button.

Which version of DM do you have? 4.7 is now available from RIM and I'm wondering if this version might not have a fix for your issue.

Cheers,
    Roger

Timmy3times no está en línea Stack level 1
    I was having the same issues. I reinstalled desktop manager 4.6 and then cleared the "Browser Cache" (browser»options»cache) on my bold

stnkyq2 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    IMTHTG
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy3times View Post
    I was having the same issues. I reinstalled desktop manager 4.6 and then cleared the "Browser Cache" (browser»options»cache) on my bold
    I am not understanding what does this happen to do with "Profile" issues in the Backup for the blackberry? Everyone's is different when doing backups. I agree with RoGro; use the advance option and you can also deselect the Profile and it will back up the device then....
    "A clear cut vision is the best path to success.. persistence is the vehicle you arrive in..." -Rev. Run

Crackberry @ddict for LIFE..........

spasell no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Well, Sean, this has become a pretty common issue and one that has been reported to RIM.

Have you downloaded any ringtones that you are using in any of your profiles? If you don't mind losing any modifications you've made to your Profiles, you can clear the Profiles to their factory defaults through the Desktop Manager>Backup>Advanced Function.

When you're in the backup screens, press the Advanced button. Once the list of database populates on the righthand side, scroll down to Profiles, highlight it and then press the Clear button.

Which version of DM do you have? 4.7 is now available from RIM and I'm wondering if this version might not have a fix for your issue.

Cheers,
    Roger
    Thanks Roger...

I did in fact download ring tones that I use but downloaded from BB site. They are active.

I am using the new 4.7 desktop version since it was happening on the 4.6 version.

I did what you said and it worked beautifully. Thank you for the help!! Does this mean that I cannot back up my device unless I change my profiles back to original? I'm wondering if that is the case if there is a fix for this? Thanks again for the help!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Sean,

Go ahead and try adding back the ringtones to those profiles to see if it still horks up the backup. If so, you'll know why!

Also, you can still back up your device WITHOUT the Profiles if you like by using the same Advanced function within the backup process. You'll highlight all databases, then un-highlight the Profiles one and move the rest over to the lefthand side to back up. Hope that makes sense (and I don't really think un-highlight is a word! ).

Roger

quinto1025 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy3times View Post

THis worked for me. Thanks!

GiorgosH no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by quinto1025 View Post
    THis worked for me. Thanks!
    Didn't for me? Is it just random? Impossible not to be able to backup device!!

mDRagON- no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    215c161f
    RIM blows on the backup issues, that makes upgrading such a pain...
    "It’s been a long time coming, but tonight, because of what we did on this day, in this election, at this defining moment, change has come to America". - Barack Obama

www.twitter.com/waydavis

Nah.uhh no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post

Cheers,
    Roger
    i have never ever cleared my profiles to get it to work.
    BUT ive never tried..
    i went through them one by one in advanced til i saw a problem, and it is
    "browser messages" and "browser data cache" you have to clear. id hate to clear my profiles

Mine stops at attachment data and attachment options.. How can I clear those?? Don't want to delete emails!!!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

deuceap610 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Is it only me but when I try to do the backup it'll do one of two things. It'll either proceed with the backup and give the error message which the people above have been getting or stop the operation and appear as if there is no BB connected (doesn't even show the PIN or anything) until I disconnect and reconnect the BB. Please let me know.

I finally did OS update, restored only the data I managed to backup manually, but even with newer OS I still get error... Where is RIM?? We need and update!!!!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

lindsey328 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by spasell View Post
    Thanks Roger...

I did in fact download ring tones that I use but downloaded from BB site. They are active.

I am using the new 4.7 desktop version since it was happening on the 4.6 version.

I did what you said and it worked beautifully. Thank you for the help!! Does this mean that I cannot back up my device unless I change my profiles back to original? I'm wondering if that is the case if there is a fix for this? Thanks again for the help!
    It has nothing to do with the ring tones. It is strictly cleaning all of your cache in the browser before you backup.