For a couple weeks now I've had an issue with both my camera & video ... BlackBerry Bold forum

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional

Question Camera/Video Camera quit working

Advertisement

For a couple weeks now I've had an issue with both my camera & video camera randomly not wanting to work. When I open either one I get a black screen followed by a dialog that says, "Could not start the camera. Close other applications and try opening the camera again.", even though I have the same applications running all the time.

This didn't start until I installed Pinbook by S4BB (which was removed the same or following day), and nothing I've tried seems to permanently fix it. But if I reinstall Pinbook, the problem goes away. I've contacted S4BB support, but they're as useless as their app in my opinion, and have offered no resolve.

So after speaking with several others who have also had issues with the app, it was suggested that I wipe my device and reinstall the OS because of possible corrupted files from the app. So I wiped my device, and installed OSBB 600v8 over OS6.0.0.600 while I was at it. Still this hasn't resolved the issue as my cameras were both working fine yesterday, but today I got that dialog again and had to pull my battery to get it to go away.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can permanently resolve this issue without reinstalling Pinbook? Furthermore, how do I get whatever files the app left behind permanently removed so they will stop causing future problems?

Thanks in advance to those who reply!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I wish I could help you Dee, but it's over my head.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    I wish I could help you Dee, but it's over my head.
    That's ok, thanks for replying anyway

I'm going to do another wipe and install of the OS here soon, so hopefully whatever caused it will be fixed this time around *fingers crossed*
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wow, a fully wipe doesn't fix the problem? Only other thing I could recommend is maybe try BBSAK to look for app related .cod files, or an OS shrinking program like BB Boss that goes even deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Wow, a fully wipe doesn't fix the problem? Only other thing I could recommend is maybe try BBSAK to look for app related .cod files, or an OS shrinking program like BB Boss that goes even deeper.
    Yeah I was surprised it didn't work too! But I'm still thinking it has something to do with that Pinbook app because I'm still receiving messages from people because of it, even though it was deleted from my device long ago (before the wipe). The developer finally got back to me the other day and said I was removed from their "database", but that it could take up to two weeks for me to completely stop receiving messages.

But when I wiped this last time, I used BBSAK to backup my apps, and it made a complete mess out of it. Everything appeared to be on my device, but nothing installed was detected by my device (as in it didn't show up in the apps list) or App World. So I ended up having to install everything again anyway.

So if anyone has suggestions as to how I can backup my apps and reinstall them after I wipe my device, I would be forever grateful because desktop software for OS6 doesn't have it anywhere that I can find and BBSAK was a waste of time
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I don't care for the app backup utility in BBSAK. As you said, it makes a mess out of things when you restore.

Instead, you CAN use DM to do this, via the Switch Device Wizard.

Connect your device, launch DM, then go into the Switch Device Wizard. Once you've selected your device, uncheck the Device data box, leaving only Third-party applications checked. Click Next. Once it backs up the apps, leave the wizard as is, then go out on your PC and search for a file that is your PIN number with the .alx extension. Once you find it, move it someplace where you'll remember it. It has your third party apps in it. I usually put it on my Desktop, but you can put it wherever you want.

Then, when you're loading the new OS, you'll see a box you can click on to load more files. Can't recall off the top of my head exactly what it says, but you'll see it at the top of the screen when the OS loads up on the screen. From there, just navigate to your .alx file and it'll populate the Loader with your apps. Voila!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    I don't care for the app backup utility in BBSAK. As you said, it makes a mess out of things when you restore.

Instead, you CAN use DM to do this, via the Switch Device Wizard.

Connect your device, launch DM, then go into the Switch Device Wizard. Once you've selected your device, uncheck the Device data box, leaving only Third-party applications checked. Click Next. Once it backs up the apps, leave the wizard as is, then go out on your PC and search for a file that is your PIN number with the .alx extension. Once you find it, move it someplace where you'll remember it. It has your third party apps in it. I usually put it on my Desktop, but you can put it wherever you want.

Then, when you're loading the new OS, you'll see a box you can click on to load more files. Can't recall off the top of my head exactly what it says, but you'll see it at the top of the screen when the OS loads up on the screen. From there, just navigate to your .alx file and it'll populate the Loader with your apps. Voila!
    Awesome! It never crossed my mind to use the device switch wizard, but I will certainly give it a shot the time I wipe & install

Thanks a bunch!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info