I consider getting a Bold. I'm not eligible for an upgrade so I'd have to ... BlackBerry Bold forum

ghettochild no está en línea Stack level 1

Buying an "imported" Bold..bad idea?

Advertisement

I consider getting a Bold. I'm not eligible for an upgrade so I'd have to pay the full retail price. I'd like to have the ability to turn off 3G which is why I'm interested in getting a non-AT&T phone.

Google shopping results lists dozens of vendors here in the U.S. that sell (imported) Bolds. However, it is my understanding that these devices do not come with a manufacturer warranty. Some of the vendors state that they issue a 90 days warranty, but that's about it.

Any other way to get some sort of warranty on such a device? Or is it simply a bad idea to go that route? After all, if something is wrong with an AT&T Bold I could just go into the store and ask for an exchange.

I also don't like the all-white keyboard on the AT&T Bold, but I guess I could just replace it with an OEM keyboard (off eBay, with the red numericals) without much hassle, right?

Any input/help is much appreciated.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Ghetto,
    Contact Square Trade and ask them if they warranty a Bold bought outside the US. I know that it has to be new - just not sure about foreign sales. Don't know about the other questions - you'd want to have a way to unlock the Bold unless you bought it unlocked from a (US) 3d party seller. (I bought an O2 unlocked Pearl from a 3d-party vendor some time ago and, although I didn't take it, some of them also offer warranties for what that's worth.)
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettochild View Post
    I I'd like to have the ability to turn off 3G which is why I'm interested in getting a non-AT&T phone.
    Or is it simply a bad idea to go that route?
    After all, if something is wrong with an AT&T Bold I could just go into the store and ask for an exchange.
    One does not benefit from having control over 2 or 3G. RIM found that out after putting the Rogers Bold in the hands of the public. I've had both Rogers & AT&T Bolds & the AT&T returns battery life as good as my EDGE Curve.
    It's a bad idea to buy from anyone else when you can get it from the carrier with a full warranty. Personally I would go get one from AT&T. They are good at standing behind what they sell.
    Cheers
    Sent via BlackBerry

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    One does not benefit from having control over 2 or 3G. RIM found that out after putting the Rogers Bold in the hands of the public. I've had both Rogers & AT&T Bolds & the AT&T returns battery life as good as my EDGE Curve.
    It's a bad idea to buy from anyone else when you can get it from the carrier with a full warranty. Personally I would go get one from AT&T. They are good at standing behind what they sell.
    Cheers
    Sent via BlackBerry
    Definitely. If the device you are looking for is available on your local carrier then just go buy it outright from them. You'll have a warranty and be glad you did if anything wrong happens.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    I don't see a problem with getting a Bold from a reputable Canadian on the Rogers network. If that is your preference.

tkao2025 no está en línea Stack level 2
    If T-mobile had the bold I would have just bought it from the Carrier....it's always a good idea to buy from Carrier if the phone you want is available for warranty...having said that I'm using a Bold on T-mobile from Rogers and having no problems with it.