So umm lets see.. I was enjoying my I don’t have to go to work ... BlackBerry Bold forum

gqswagga no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    218879E8

Question Burnt bold :(

Advertisement

So umm lets see.. I was enjoying my I don’t have to go to work in the morning type sleep. I had my bold(the apple of my eye, my life line) on the charger. I received a phone call(I don’t recall picking up) some how the phone was on my bed. I woke up out of sleep decided to check the time..
    Reach for my phone it almost burnt my hand off okay maybe it was that hot
    But it wasn’t just warm.. I order to save my newly bought baby I did a battery pull.. When I did the phone itself was HOT and the battery Hotter
    After 30 min. the phone is now warm.. I don’t know what to expect when I put the phone back together,, do I need a new battery a new phone….
    I’m so sad right now.. I just no sleeping in for me until my phone starts working again.. :cry:
    Last edited by azstar; 01-02-2009 at 10:22 AM. Reason: format edit
    *Chase-_-Life*

nex014 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    255BDD2F
    This has happened to me a few times. It happens when it is charging or juts sitting there. The phone seems to hang and and the little clock is spinning. It takes a battery pull to fix, and I will need to charge it because the battery is complety drained.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    that cant be normal, I would take it back, it sounds like an electrical issue. I leave my Curve plugged in all night and its never hot or even warm in the morning.

PIN/ID
    218879E8
    i just woke up i left the battery out for the rest of the night.. i'm thinking that it drained my battery.. i'm thinking about taking back to the store i've only had it for a week or less..
    *Chase-_-Life*

BenTrovato no está en línea Stack level 1
    same here.. my phone decides to reset every once and a while

GHLawrence no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    208A152A
    G'day gqswagga. I read recently that completely draining a lithium battery is not good. I seem to remember that you'd only get about 50% life after a subsequent full charge?

The heating is a definite problem. A consumer device should never get that hot especially at the voltages and small currents these devcies are using. Get a new one before you burn down your house! This sounds similar to the edploding Sony batteries not long ago. Especially that the battery pack was hotter than the phone - suggests it is probably the battery cells malfunctioning. May also be something to do with whatever circuits they are using to regulate the flow of electricity. Dunno if they are built into the phone or in the battery pack.

I'd replace the whole works. This sonuds like it will eb covered by the phone's warranty. Pretty sure once they hear of it RIM's engineers will wanna tear that thing apart.

Greg

PIN/ID
    218879E8
    spoke to att the cust service worker told me he has heard stories of the batteries over charging. He wasn't sure if it was the charger that was letting to much charge in or it was a battery defect. since its been less than 30 days i can take it back to the store and get a new one.. the Guy i spoke to was very very helpful.. so off to the att store hopefully it all works out..
    *Chase-_-Life*

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I've said it before around here, but I feel compelled to repeat the warning:

Be careful around overheating batteries!

I'd definitely take it back. Not only is it not normal, overheating batteries can be really dangerous. They can explode and cause not only device damage, but personal injury.

It's normal for a battery to become warm during charging, but if it's at all uncomfortable to hold, it's too hot.

Good luck! ATT should have no problem replacing your device!
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

novalovr66 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249E4BA7
    This is not the first time I have heard/read about a Bold overheating. Definitely not normal as mjwood0 has stated. I wonder if it has something to do with where the phone was made. I guess that would be something to look into. I know that some of the phones that come off the shelf have had poor workmanship depending on the location of where the phone was made. Maybe we should start a poll on workmanship based on manufactured location. What do you guys think?

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Definitely take it back this is dangerous and could result in the device getting so hot that it could explode as mjwood0 mentioned.

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Glad to hear you were able to get the thing replaced. It is true that completely draining newer lithium batteries can reduce their life expectancy but I believe that the overheating would be unrelated, although much more serious.

I'm just hoping that this doesn't keep happening to the point where somebody has a Bold explode in their pocket before the root of the issue is found.

I was doing phone support for Apple when the whole exploding Sony battery fiasco was in full gear and I tell ya...it wasn't pretty.

~via Blackberry Bold (wap.pinstack.com)~

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Also about 2 years ago there was a HUGE Toshiba Notebook PC battery recall (right after I got my Satellite) and I took advantage of that and got a new battery for my notebook as I don't need to have my notebook on my lap and find another burn on my leg (which actually did happen a year ago but not because of a bad battery but because I didn't feel the heat on my leg). It was a good battery. I get a little worried when I see people with laptops in their laps due to that. I went and bought a laptop tray that cools the bottom of laptop off to prevent this from happening again.

BerryJane no está en línea Stack level 1
    I've had my Bold a month now and have never experienced what you speak of. It got a little warm once when I first got it. I was affraid of this happening as I have heard of this problem with the bold. Good luck! Hope you get a better Bold.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    While I agree that hot batteries and devices can be dangerous and indicative of imminent failure, some devices are actually designed to dissipate heat throughout their case. Current generation apple laptops use this technology which helps reduce the amount of power and size of fan needed to cool the computer. Since the case conducts the heat away from the heat source, in essence, it works as a heat sink.

Nonetheless, if its that hot that you are being injured by normal use, then something is wrong.