Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I just got my Bold on Tuesday(4th) and I absolutely LOVE it. Here it ... BlackBerry Bold forum

bigblue95z no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Build Quality Concern

Advertisement

So I just got my Bold on Tuesday(4th) and I absolutely LOVE it.

Here it comes....

BUT, my trim ring is loose near the charger port and headphone jack(but solid everywhere else) that causes it to creek and squeak with the slightest change in pressure. Since I sometimes hold the device near the top this is a biiiig annoyance. And when I press my back or end keys, my lower right corner of the screen has a ripple effect. Like if you were to press down on a LCD and it distorts in a wave pattern. Not really a big usability issue but still a huge concern in my book. I don't want excess stress to make my beeeeauuuuutiful display get fudged.

Am I being too obsessive? Or would you guys be headed back for a replacement? I think I may go back tomorrow night. And do you think this is a big issue for this phone? The display I looked at had a loose battery door. So I'm getting worried.
    Last edited by bigblue95z; 11-06-2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: new thought

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue95z View Post
    So I just got my Bold on Tuesday(4th) and I absolutely LOVE it.

Here it comes....

BUT, my trim ring is loose near the charger port and headphone jack(but solid everywhere else) that causes it to creek and squeak with the slightest change in pressure. Since I sometimes hold the device near the top this is a biiiig annoyance. And when I press my back or end keys, my lower right corner of the screen has a ripple effect. Like if you were to press down on a LCD and it distorts in a wave pattern. Not really a big usability issue but still a huge concern in my book. I don't want excess stress to make my beeeeauuuuutiful display get fudged.

Am I being too obsessive? Or would you guys be headed back for a replacement? I think I may go back tomorrow night. And do you think this is a big issue for this phone? The display I looked at had a loose battery door. So I'm getting worried.
    Like all technological pieces of equipment, there are always going to be defects. I think that because you just got it, you might as well go back and get a replacement/exchange. That way, you can install all your nifty apps after you get your replacement instead of being tempted to install apps right now. If it's that new, you should have 30 days to exchange it, no questions asked. If I were you and paid that much money (which I did), I would go back there and expect hassle free exchange.

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I bought one. Kept it a day before selling it. Didn't like the browser, and it was very apparent to me that the Bold was not built as solidly as my Curve. Waiting for Javelin

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    Your screen shouldn't be rippling like that...

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by joewoo View Post
    Your screen shouldn't be rippling like that...

i actually saw this happen on all 30 or more Bolds ive handled

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    Hmm... I can press those buttons pretty damn hard and it never ripples...

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    You have the right to return it.

Just do it and see if you like the new one better. My silver trim is not loose and pushing any button will not cause the screen to ripple. As we have not heard others say their unit does the same, it would indicate that yours might have a problem. AT&T will not have a problem with giving you another.

As far as pushing on the screen with your finger, it WILL ripple as this is the nature of the device. As long as you do not push too hard it will not harm the device anymore that touching your LCD screen on your desktop or laptop.

You should give it another try as it sounds like you just got a device that was not assembled correctly. If it was not dropped, they HAVE to replace it.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    That plastic battery cover with the faux leather covering is just looking to get broken. I received my Bold yesterday and right off the bat one of the clips were already broken before I even had a chance to to work with it. I was on the phone with att for a half an hour and they told me they would send another device out to me when I only needed the battery cover only.

I in no way have ever even touched the screen besides with my fluffy cheeks. lol. I'll see what happens tomorrow night.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue95z View Post
    my trim ring is loose near the charger port and headphone jack(but solid everywhere else) that causes it to creek and squeak with the slightest change in pressure. .
    Do not hesitate, take it back period. You paid a lot of money and you should get what you want.
    That said, here is my Bold Verdict

Cheers...

Seaghostkilla no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2404E145
    Have had my bold for about 3 days and so far no complaints... The keys press smoothly and very silent clicks. The print on the browser is ok but still prefer to use
    Opera becuase of the quick scroll options. The 3G service is great for the
    Entertainment factor. Didn't really mind the slow speed of the curve though. Voice and data is a great feature.
    Overall... I'm glad RIM gave me a free Bold at a release the had in Seattle.

xaroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30544A9E

Interesting... I am crazy picky about my electronics that I freak over a slight nic in the screen or outter case
    But I have not noticed any kinda lose parts or anything, I do get the "ripple" effect
    If I apply substansial pressure near the screen, but other then that, its very solid to me
    My curve had that slight creaking soind on the lower right side.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by xaroc View Post
    I have not noticed any kinda lose parts or anything, I do get the "ripple" effect
    If I apply substantial pressure near the screen, but other then that, its very solid to me.
    Its good to hear that you got a good one. Based on the three I've had, there is a fair amount of inconsistency from one to the next. Also it is not in any one particular area but varies. Very reminiscent of the first gen iPhones in terms of a variety of problems. Given the fact that this is the most advanced BlackBerry yet for a first effort RIM did as well as could be expected.
    sent via Curve 8310 the BlackBerry that just works ..

So I went back to try to get another and they sales guy pretty much said that he could not do anything for me. The guy got out the demo and we both confirmed that it too was loose in the same spot and did the screen ripple with the end and back key being pushed. He told me he couldn't just rummage through to try to find one thats good. That they weren't allowed to break the packaging until its sold. Pretty much telling me, they all do it, either exchange it for another device type or I'd have to live with it.

I'm still pretty upset about this. What's my next move?

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    You go back and tell them you want to return it. You have the right. Then get another. If it does not make you happy, then the choice is up to you! You might want to go to another store to buy the next as they may have a bad batch.

My trim is not loose and pressing these keys do not distort my screen. To tell you the truth, I could not be more happy with not only the build qulaity but the performance of the AT&T unit compared to my Rogers Bold. They have both worked without flaw.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast