I have added several apps lately while at home and connected through my home wifi. ... BlackBerry Bold forum

mbarlow no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E81EC0

Question Browser keeps switching

Advertisement

I have added several apps lately while at home and connected through my home wifi. The apps load and work fine while at home. The problems happen while away from home connected through 3G. Web pages load slowly or not at all. I checked under Browser Options, Browser Configure and sometimes the browser is switching to web2go or Hotspot. Blackberry browser is my default browser under the Settings menu. Anyone else experiencing these seemingly random Browser changes? Thanks!

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    If your BB browser is set as the default under Options > Advanced Options > Browser (both standard and MDS) then I might guess a service book issue causing it to default back based on the connection. I could be way off base here, but I've seen those books cause some major glitches when the proper ones aren't installed or just 1 is missing. I would try resending them and if that doesn't work, try reloading the OS.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

chantal7399 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21A1626C
    all i know is my browser doesn't work half the time and it's very frustrating. i can just have pulled the battery (they recommend doing this daily)... and right after it reboots.... it shuts itself off and reboots again on it's own.

and these farkers just refuse to admit i have a dud and won't replace it.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ...definitely a software problem, and definitely, like Strawder suggests, a services book problem. Your carrier should fix this. As far as the battery pull, I think that's nonsense, especially with the OS 5 and the 9700. You don't need to do that often! And BY the way, you can download Quickpull from BB Application World which you can schedule to the do a battery pull simulation without physically having to remove the battery. I do it once a week, not because it's necessary but by force of habit...
    But, I don't think this is what is causing the trouble.
    I am sure you have some 3rd application that is behind this !
    Perform this exercise when the problem arises:
    On you home screen press Alt + lglg and enter the device log. In this log press x and see if anything appears in bold print. If so, try and identify the application and delete it ! If none of this is evident, then it's the service book commands that change the browser default. Probably a wap configuration from your service provider! If so, identify it in service books and get rid of it!
    Last edited by Delfim; 02-01-2010 at 02:24 PM.

sooner no está en línea Stack Professional
    Have you tried changing your emulation mode? Try MicrosoftIE

iLord is DEAD!

PIN/ID
    21A1626C
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    ...definitely a software problem, and definitely, like Strawder suggests, a services book problem. Your carrier should fix this. As far as the battery pull, I think that's nonsense, especially with the OS 5 and the 9700. You don't need to do that often! And BY the way, you can download Quickpull from BB Application World which you can schedule to the do a battery pull simulation without physically having to remove the battery. I do it once a week, not because it's necessary but by force of habit...
    But, I don't think this is what is causing the trouble.
    I am sure you have some 3rd application that is behind this !
    Perform this exercise when the problem arises:
    On you home screen press Alt + lglg and enter the device log. In this log press x and see if anything appears in bold print. If so, try and identify the application and delete it ! If none of this is evident, then it's the service book commands that change the browser default. Probably a wap configuration from your service provider! If so, identify it in service books and get rid of it!

no 3rd party stuff doing it. the phone has been crap since i first got it. i've called several times and went to the store 2-3 times. i'm about to fake losing it so they can give me another. i've told them from day one it was a piece of isht. my pearl may have been old, but the pages almost always loaded. this crap times out all the friggin time.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Definitely OS then ...either the one from RIM or the carrier's set up !
    Last edited by Delfim; 02-02-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Removed text

PIN/ID
    Ask
    As Delfim said, a daily battery pull isn't necessary for any BB device I am aware of. I would try loading the newest OS for your device and see if that clears up the issue. It is almost definitely a software issue if all other programs can connect via your data connection. If you're having data connection issues with other applications, I would still try the OS reload and if that doesn't clear it up, then I would lean towards a hardware problem. Eliminate the software possibility by reloading the OS.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    How to upgrade your OS

mbarlow no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E81EC0
    Thanks for the suggestions. I believe Mstrawder & delfim are on the right track. I installed Quickpull and have it set for a scheduled after-hours reset a couple times a week - it doesn't seem to help. I think it is likely a 3rd party app that is giving me the problem. I will look at the log and if nothing is obvious, I'll reinstall the apps one at a time until the problem resurfaces. The phone is performing well otherwise.

Help me understand what change your emulation mode means?

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by mbarlow View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I believe Mstrawder & delfim are on the right track. I installed Quickpull and have it set for a scheduled after-hours reset a couple times a week - it doesn't seem to help. I think it is likely a 3rd party app that is giving me the problem. I will look at the log and if nothing is obvious, I'll reinstall the apps one at a time until the problem resurfaces. The phone is performing well otherwise.

Help me understand what change your emulation mode means?
    In your browser options, you can change the way your device identifies it's browser to a website. It's default is BlackBerry. However, you can change it to FireFox or Internet Explorer. Doing this changes the way the page is rendered as if it's set to IE, the website assumes you're on a PC and browsing and you don't get the mobile version you're used to when it tells the site you're on a BB.

Let us know how this turns out.
    How to upgrade your OS

PIN/ID
    21A1626C
    i set mine to web2go and now i can't get it to to back to IE.

good thing they're going to replace this piece of crap. after 2-3 visits to the store and 3-4 calls, they finally get it taht the phone is a piece of junk.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by chantal7399 View Post
    i set mine to web2go and now i can't get it to to back to IE.

good thing they're going to replace this piece of crap. after 2-3 visits to the store and 3-4 calls, they finally get it taht the phone is a piece of junk.
    I wouldn't set it to IE unless I was visiting a specific site that required IE emulation. Not much reason to switch it from BB mode. If you really need a browser that renders more like a PC browser, get Opera or Bolt.
    How to upgrade your OS

PIN/ID
    21A1626C
    well, this phone is a piece of junk and neither browser works all that great.
    cant wait til the replacement arrives.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I have had a few weird browser issues in the past, deleting the browser service books (Options/Advanced Options/Service Books) and then logging into my BIS account and resending service books has always fixed it. Hopefully you have better luck with the replacement though.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4