I recently noticed that my Bold wouldn't scroll down, presuming some dirt had got under ... BlackBerry Bold forum

minitank no está en línea Stack level 2

Bold won't scroll down (and its not the track ball)

Advertisement

I recently noticed that my Bold wouldn't scroll down, presuming some dirt had got under the ball I pushed the ball down and blew on it. This seemed to fix the problem (temporarily)
    I was worried that the moisture in my breath may have been what was actually "fixing" the problem, which obviously couldnt be good for my Bold in the long run so I decided to disassemble it when the problem occured more and more frequently.

I disassembled the Bold with little trouble (Its quite straight forward)

**WARNING** Something that I haven't seen mentioned in any disassembly tutorials.
    - The screw in the middle, on the right (with Bold back facing you) has a white seal over it, I assume breaking it kills your warranty so be ware.

>--Back to story--<

I removed the track ball casing (not the track ball itself ) and cleaned it using traditionally recommended methods (compressed air, alcohol etc.) and then reinstalled it.
    - I also wiped the sensors on the Bold (Just incase) Powered my Bold back up, but nothing, it still didn't work. I then tried using the track ball and housing from my 8800, but that had the same problem; it scrolled Up, Left, Right, but not down!

I removed 8800 Track ball, cleaned everything one last time and reinstalled the original bold track ball but the problem still hasn't been solved; if anything, it's worse because my original "blowing method" won't even work anymore.

The only 3rd party apps I have installed on my Bold is Myspace and MSN, I updated my OS a couple of days ago to the newest available to me.

Help please, I'm at a loss.

=)

Dwaine12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Good Try
    it sounds like you have a sensor problem, even though you did all of that, it still sounds like a sensor problem, think about it, you can scroll left, right, and up, but not down?? did you try scrolling down, while pressing the trackball, if this works its more than dust, but definatley a sensor problem..i'll look into this and let you know..I do Blackberry support @ work, so i let you know...good luck, but if you find something out let us know....

Nah.uhh no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by minitank View Post
    I recently noticed that my Bold wouldn't scroll down, presuming some dirt had got under the ball I pushed the ball down and blew on it. This seemed to fix the problem (temporarily)
    I was worried that the moisture in my breath may have been what was actually "fixing" the problem, which obviously couldnt be good for my Bold in the long run so I decided to disassemble it when the problem occured more and more frequently.
    I disassembled the Bold with little trouble (Its quite straight forward)

**WARNING** Something that I haven't seen mentioned in any disassembly tutorials.
    - The screw in the middle, on the right (with Bold back facing you) has a white seal over it, I assume breaking it kills your warranty so be ware.

>--Back to story--<

I removed the track ball casing (not the track ball itself ) and cleaned it using traditionally recommended methods (compressed air, alcohol etc.) and then reinstalled it.
    - I also wiped the sensors on the Bold (Just incase) Powered my Bold back up, but nothing, it still didn't work. I then tried using the track ball and housing from my 8800, but that had the same problem; it scrolled Up, Left, Right, but not down!

I removed 8800 Track ball, cleaned everything one last time and reinstalled the original bold track ball but the problem still hasn't been solved; if anything, it's worse because my original "blowing method" won't even work anymore.

The only 3rd party apps I have installed on my Bold is Myspace and MSN, I updated my OS a couple of days ago to the newest available to me.

Help please, I'm at a loss.

=)
    Go to
    Options>status
    Type in
    T e s t

Quote Originally Posted by Nah.uhh View Post
    Go to
    Options>status
    Type in
    T e s t
    I can't access Options because its not on the top line.

Thank you Dwaine (I eagerly await your findings)

ps. This problem is now driving me crazy because I can't dismiss my alarm so keep having to "Snooze" it every 5 minutes!!!!!

ARGH!

help.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Either way, it's a problem and you should contact ATT for a replacement.

Ok, well I thought I'd update this to help others.

I opened up my Bold one last time and discovered that I'd place the track ball housing the wrong way as the only tutorial I could find was for an older blackberry and I guess RIM have made some changes, or the tutorial was wrong.

Either way, I rotated it and put it in correctly, my track ball now scrolls in all directions.

Hope this helps anyone else who may experience this problem.

When I get time I'm going to post pics and an explination of how to properly disassemble and reassemble the Bold on my blog:

www recommendedreading blacktechnicolor com

Thank you all for the taking the time to read and respond to my problem.

boomboom no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    retired
    A trick that I have used with the Pearl 8120 and my older one the 8100, put a piece of paper down on a hard surface, than have your BB face down where the Ball touches the paper, and roll it around. I usually fixes this problem.