Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm on my fourth Rogers Blackberry Bold -- my first one had to be returned ... BlackBerry Bold forum

scrybe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Bold Woes - what to do

Advertisement

I'm on my fourth Rogers Blackberry Bold -- my first one had to be returned because there was a buzz coming from the screen. I've had three refurbished ones since, of which two have been returned for other problems (loose bezel and yellow screen for one, and a stuck 'a' key).

The last Bold I received is functional -- everything seems working -- but the whole bezel around the screen is creaky, particularly around USB plug. Some really minor LED waves when I press the volume down key as well.

I'm just getting tired of returning and getting new ones. I'm wondering whether it's just a case of this being more-or-less normal for the Bold, and if I should just keep what I've got.

Anyone else having problems with a squeaky/creaky bezel? Any fix?

Any thoughts on what to do?

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    It is not normal. I suggest you insist on a new unit. Not a refurb unit

I actually have two Bolds. The first one has no problems. My second unit is a loose battery cover. It just moves slightly. But not enought to bother me. So I didn't bother returning it.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    Get the torx driver and tighten the screws under the battery cover...

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    Already did that. Really tight.

PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    No for the creaking trim, not the battery door..

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    there are stories on this forum about those who persist by continually swapping and eventually end up with a good device... continue to swap out until you just cant be bothered with it any longer. the fact that you are posting about this would suggest that its time to throw in the towel though, IMHO.

archer kept trying and finally found a good one (after 6 i believe)... i gave in after 4 or 5 (i dont even remember now). my family wont change my pin# in their address book anymore though... so i know it was time to give up.

all the issues you mentioned are not isolated either, so getting another may not be the best fix. if you do opt for another swap, inspect the device upon opening at the store, and insist on opening multiple boxes to find a good one if you see issues initially.

goodluck.

PIN/ID
    Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, Rogers has a program where they send a refurbished unit by courier, and you send back the old unit. Pretty much cuts out the ability of having to inspect it beforehand.

Not sure that tightening the screws will make a difference. This is the bezel on the side, notably the UBS side, that's causing squeaky grief. Not the top or the battery cover.

darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    retired
    i have had 2 new units (the 2nd one cause I lost the first one) and have not had any problems with the units, but I have heard of archer and his woes with the device and malfunctions.

When it works and you get a good build.... its sweet.

Did you notice where it was made? [white label inside the battery cover] ??

PIN/ID
    retired
    and....
    if you have gone through that many devices, get angry and say that you are sick of that device and demand the 8900

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    8 BB's to date and not a dud in the bunch. Am I just lucky?
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

PIN/ID
    Made in Canada. But they are all -- but the first one -- refurbished units.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    The first Bold I purchased from Rogers had many build quality defects. Then I bought #2 from AT&T, it was also defective, then #3, #4, and #5 all had serious defects too numerous to list here, but I have posted it all here on PinStack as it happened.

As a BlackBerry Advocate, I'm both shocked & disappointed in RIM's recent choices to release such dodgy products. Delivering models like the Bold & Storm that vary widely in quality of hardware & software. That have such poor OS's the upgrading is the norm, in an effort to "fix" ones brand new BlackBerry. Just think about the first impression a new BlackBerry customer has when they learn that they must either live with it, or learn how to upgrade it. Especially the customer that is not a tech person.

The launch of the Storm with all its problems is a prime example of RIM destroying it's own reputation. Oh sure, there's an update now, but it should have been there when released. RIM can go into denial & tell themselves they've recovered, but there are many people that were first time BlackBerry buyers that got burned.

Many buyers exchanged their defective Bolds for iPhones. I know this as fact as I have witnessed it repeatedly and I don't like it. After all, how many people would be as patient as I was. I now have Bold #6 and its a good one. And yet look at what it cost me in time money. I have never expected perfection, just a reasonably well built BlackBerry that functions properly.

After years of buying many new BlackBerrys this experienced has left me stunned at the collapse in quality control. RIM needs to get a grip.

sent via BlackBerry Bold
    ~(wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    I've swapped my bezel to the black one... Beforehand, I hand some creaks with the silver trim... When I was finishing up, I made sure my screws were tight and now I'm totally creakless... Yes, the creaks may have gone jus because I use the black one now, or it could be that I made sure my screws were tight... I think all u have to do is tighten the screws..

PIN/ID
    retired
    " That have such poor OS's the upgrading is the norm, in an effort to "fix" ones brand new BlackBerry. Just think about the first impression a new BlackBerry customer has when they learn that they must either live with it, or learn how to upgrade it."

Agree totally.. the device should come with a better OS. I do believe the original version .125 did work ok, but its nothing compared to 30ish versions that came out after the initial release.

Quality control has definitely slipped and its disappointing....I love the BB and can't think of any other phone that I would want, but the upgrading and the defective hardware and productions... has made me worried.

Definitely see a lot of people exchanging fo iphones...RIM needs to get it together if they really want to compete against apple.

bigblue95z no está en línea Stack level 3
    To fix my squeeky bexel, I loosened the screw in the upper right corner then squeezed the bezel top to bottom and retightened. All fixed. Seemed to center the bezel around the mini usb and headphone port. Far as the screen deal, I was there too. Seems they all pretty much all do it. Good luck!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast