I use wifi at home and at work. The phone will connect fine the first ... BlackBerry Bold forum

jeffois no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

Thumbs down Bold wifi radio issue

Advertisement

I use wifi at home and at work. The phone will connect fine the first time after a battery pull. Then when I move out of range, the wifi radio turns itself off.

Trying to reconnect from Manage Connections yields a failed result. No error or anything, just no wifi icon at all. The tick next to the option under MC goes grey for a second or two, the the tick disappears.

Pull the battery and it works again. That's ridiculous. I don't want to pull the battery at least twice a day just to get wifi.

I don't believe this is a router issue or anything to do with any piece of external hardware. I run a Siemens router at home and we run one D-link and one Belkin at work. I have also tried my spare Linksys. All are running fairly low intensity encryption for the sake of compatibility (iphones, multiple brands of laptops, WRT-54G running DD-WRT/Tomato, other wifi phones, xbox etc etc etc), no MAC filtering...nothing.

Also, after the wifi has disconnected itself, I have tried to fool the wifi radio by searching for networks to try kick it back to life. I get a 'failed to initialise wifi device' type error (wording may not be spot on, but it's basically telling me that even the phone itself cannot connect the inbuilt wifi device).

This is definitely some sort of hardware or firmware fault.

This is extremely frustrating as you can imagine and makes me want a Storm even more since the Bold doesn't seem the have the advantage of wifi.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions?

Details:
    Device: 9000 Bold
    Network: Vodafone NZ
    Platform: 4.0.0.181
    PIN: 25636469

(Sorry if a post like this has already been made - but I couldn't find one relating after a few searches)
    Jeff

9000 Bold (Vodafone NZ)
    BES & BIS (+gmail)

iPhone 3G with Activesync/OWA

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    This sounds like a software issue. I used to have that with one of the previous OS I had. I would try to update the OS. If you update the OS and have the same issue it is probably something hardware related
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jdk2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    You're running an updated OS. Did this occur prior to the update? If so, then it would appear to be hardware related. Replacing the device would be the only course of action in that case.

jeffois no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    Yeah, it was happening before I updated to this OS.

The previous OS was retail (I believe) and the one currently installed is from the BB Partner Universe. There is another more upto date one. I can try that I guess.

Otherwise...away to the repairer it is!
    Jeff

9000 Bold (Vodafone NZ)
    BES & BIS (+gmail)

iPhone 3G with Activesync/OWA

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Since it was happening prior it probably is a hardware issue.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~