Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

I know this question has been discussed a few times on the board, but i ... BlackBerry Bold forum

sideswipe14t no está en línea Stack level 1

BOLD Wi-Fi with No Data Plan

Advertisement

I know this question has been discussed a few times on the board, but i couldn't find the answer i was looking for. If i have no data plan and want to use wi-fi, how can i be sure that none of the data being transfered is using the networks data? if i turn off data services under mobile network in the options menu will that allow me to still use wifi but not any other data? if anyone can give an explanation on how to do this properly i would really appreciate it! thanks!

Yoruhi no está en línea Stack level 1
    Well, I use a Pearl 8120 with Wi-Fi, and if I turn off the Data Services, it disables the Wi-Fi.
    So, the way I make sure that I'm using Wi-Fi, is under the browser configuration, turn the browser type to hotspot.
    You still however might use up some data if you use other apps that connect to the internet, just change you preferences to where they have to ask to use it.

I would also still make sure this works with someone who has a 9000.

Also, under general properties, make your default hotspot also.

xaroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30544A9E
    Yes, you can use just Wifi if your turn your Network off, i just did it on my phone to be 100% sure in my answer. But by turning your network off, i doubt you will be able to get any Calls

I turned off "mobile network" and turned on Wifi, worked fine

Make sure you don't get Mobile Network and Data Services confused.

I didn't turn off mobile network completely, under the mobile network link it says "Data Services: On/Off" so i can still receive calls, its just whether or not the wifi will still work.

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    If you turn off data services you will only have access via WiFi, however from my personal expierence turning off data services eliminated the use of WiFi and couldn't load pages anymore. Some people claim that they are still able to browse with just wifi it may just depend on your carries OS etc... But I don't believe it'll work, I'm sure providers made sure that if you don't have a data plan wifi is usless they would lose to much money becuase everyone would just ditch the data plan becuase the majority of our society wifi is accessible anywhere. You might want to try different carriers OS systems and see if you have any luck that way. That would make sense why ATT comes out with their own version of the OS so they can block the use of wifi without a data plan

Good luck

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Wi-Fi will not work on my 8120 with Data Services turned off.
    Try it real quick with Data Services off. I'm sure you can spare some dimes.
    And actually, i'm with AT&T.
    Also, try to delete MediaNet. As that will connect directly through your phone service provider.

never!! haha

I'm on Rogers network btw if that makes any sort of difference

i've been reading and apparently if i change my browser settings to hotspot it will use absolutely no data? can anyone confirm this? and anyone able to tell me how to do that would be even better.. thanks

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Having a BlackBerry Bold without a data plan is like having a Ferrari with a lawnmower engine in it.
    TechieGirl likes this.

staytru no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    248c5f2c
    Well I have been testing this for over 3 weeks now and I haven't paid my bill in like 2 months so far, so I have no services and can only receive txt and calls, I'm still able to use my hotspot browser but I'm unable to go to certain pages, mainly pinstack and the other forum pages, but I also found a way to still use the internet fully with my phone still being cut, right now I'm actually using opera mini on my wifi and its working great, I can still download anything bcuz it allows my phone to still use the bb's browser, the only problem is u would have to b around wifi to use them both, don't forget I haven't paid my bill in 2 months lol, so all is well and its been working fine

To completely make sure that you only use Wi-Fi on your phone with the browser, just follow these steps.

1. Go to your Browser and open up options.
    2. Go to Browser Configuration, and change your Browser type to "Hotspot Browser"
    3. Save changes and go to General Properties.
    4. Change Default Browser to "Hotspot Browser"
    5. Save changes then exit to Homescreen.
    6. Go to Settings > Advanced Options > Browser and make sure the Default Browser Configuration is set to "Hotspot Browser"
    7. Save changes, then scroll down to Service Book.
    8. Delete everything except MMS Transport [WPTCP], Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser [BrowserConfig], Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport [WPTCP], and MMS Client [MMS]

This will make sure that you will only use Wi-Fi services when using Browser. I am not sure if this will stop apps from using data.

Awesome thanks a lot for the help, so best bet would be to call and have rogers block data, then just use a hotspot browser basically?

HICOMPCRX no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23EAD368
    That's what I did for my daughters Iphone, called att and put a block on data and text mess. 20 dollars cheaper a month and she can surf the net on WIFI all she wants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast