Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Got my Bold on release day (Nov 4) and it seemed to be rock solid. ... BlackBerry Bold forum

  1. #1
    bberry571's Avatar
    bberry571 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6

    Question Bold Uptime?

    Advertisement



    Got my Bold on release day (Nov 4) and it seemed to be rock solid. Just in the past few days, though, it seems to reboot itself frequently. At least I think so. Is there a way to determine the device's uptime?

    I'm on v4.6.0.167 of the OS and am on ATT.

    Other stuff:

    The only other apps I have that I run regularly are JiveTalk and Viigo (latest of each).

    Other than my battery door creaking and this rebooting stuff I've been loving the 9000, my first BB.

    Regards and Happy New Year

  2. #2
    novalovr66's Avatar
    novalovr66 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    249E4BA7
    Posts
    144
    I'm not sure if there is a way to find the uptime. I too have had my Bold since the release and used .167 for quite some time. I switched to .210 about 2 or 3 weeks ago and I must say it is far better than .167. It seems faster and more stable. I can say that I have not had the sudden and frequent re-boot issue that you are experiencing. I can only suggest that you try to upgrade and see if that solves the issue.

  3. #3
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by bberry571 View Post
    Got my Bold on release day (Nov 4) and it seemed to be rock solid. Just in the past few days, though, it seems to reboot itself frequently. At least I think so. Is there a way to determine the device's uptime?

    I'm on v4.6.0.167 of the OS and am on ATT.

    Other stuff:

    The only other apps I have that I run regularly are JiveTalk and Viigo (latest of each).

    Other than my battery door creaking and this rebooting stuff I've been loving the 9000, my first BB.

    Regards and Happy New Year
    Welcome to PinStack!

    Congratulations on your first BlackBerry, you are in for an incredibly fun experience.

    Thanks for providing the info on your phone, carrier and OS. If everyone did that it would be much easier to help. The good news is there is a fix for the rebooting issue. It's a known problem with ver .167 as confirmed by AT&T and they have no fix. But we do. If you update your Bold to OS ver .210 that will fix it. I had the very same problem, tried several of the available updates and like many others have found .210 to be the answer. My Bold was rebooting just like yours. After I installed .210 two weeks ago, its been stable, fast and very reliable. Also I'm getting much better speed from the browser, slightly better battery life, no spinning clock when it's "thinking" and a very strong 3G connection.

    Cheers....


  4. #4
    jag257's Avatar
    jag257 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    237
    My buddies Bold was doing the same thing till he updated it.. Sounds like the update is the way to go...
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

  5. #5
    jag257's Avatar
    jag257 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    237
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    How rude of me.... Congrats on the New BlackBerry!!!

  6. #6
    ericjackson's Avatar
    ericjackson no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    PIN/ID
    PM Me
    Posts
    207
    To answer your question, press alt+shift+H to check uptime. And from one att user to another .210 is solid
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

  7. #7
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by ericjackson View Post
    from one att user to another .210 is solid
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    This is so true, I've tried everything to crash mine, simply because if it was going to crash I wanted to have it happen sooner rather than later.

    OS .210 is simply bulletproof.


  8. #8
    Headhunter1975's Avatar
    Headhunter1975 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14
    Does anyone think .210 will be available as an ota update in the near future? Does this feature actually work on att?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

  9. #9
    BenTrovato's Avatar
    BenTrovato no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    14
    I'm on 162 in Canada and it stinks.

  10. #10
    applejosh's Avatar
    applejosh no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    346
    Is the .210 OS a beta somewhere, or is it an official release for a carrier other than AT&T?
    applejosh
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)
    OS 4.3

  11. #11
    mjwood0's Avatar
    mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Posts
    907
    As others have mentioned, checking your uptime can be done by pressing SHIFT+ALT+H.

    At current, my uptime is around 86,000 seconds (right around 24 hours). Then again, I know I rebooted yesterday when I installed JiveTalk.

    I'm running .210. I remember with my curve easily getting two weeks of uptime and it never reset without my involvement. Then again, I hear many people talk of rebooting once a day or so to free up memory. I'm not a huge fan of this mentality as I really don't see how there should be memory leaks in a phone.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

  12. #12
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post
    I'm running .210. I remember with my curve easily getting two weeks of uptime and it never reset without my involvement. Then again, I hear many people talk of rebooting once a day or so to free up memory.
    There are no memory leaks, however there is memory usage. Someone started this "myth" about memory leaks on the new 8900.

    Some people love to latch onto the negative...Ahh...Haa something else for us to complain about....YAY !

    Here's the true story about memory usage:

    http://forums.pinstack.com/showpost....1&postcount=16

    Cheers!


  13. #13
    mjwood0's Avatar
    mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    There are no memory leaks, however there is memory usage. Someone started this "myth" about memory leaks on the new 8900.

    Some people love to latch onto the negative...Ahh...Haa something else for us to complain about....YAY !

    Here's the true story about memory usage:

    http://forums.pinstack.com/showpost....1&postcount=16

    Cheers!
    You are indeed mostly correct. However, I have a couple points to consider.

    From my understanding, the RIM Operating System is coded in Java. What this means is that memory management isn't as strict as with the C language runtime. So yes, when you use applications, they are loaded in memory. Therefore, after restarting the phone, you'll see a higher amount of memory.

    However, Java has a Garbage Collector built into the runtime which should periodically go around and clean up unused memory. Therefore, I would expect to see the memory fluctuate both up and down. (This is actually a lot more complicated with regards to the Java runtime and how it manages memory, but we'll try to keep it relatively simple here)

    Unfortunately, with certain releases of the BB Operating System, I've noticed that while memory does indeed hover up and down, the overall trend is downward, which leads me to believe that there is some form of memory freeing problem -- or, as known by programmers, "memory leak".

    The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined toward this thinking. I did a lot more diagnostics with the Curve than I have with the Bold, but I kept careful track of memory usage over the course of a week. Looking back at my records, on Day 1, memory fluctuated between ~28MB to ~24MB. Running the same applications all week I noticed that by day 7, memory was fluctuating between ~22MB and ~18MB. I believe these results as I noticed that through daily usage, my memory was fluctuating around 4 MB throughout the day.

    Again, I have no scientific proof, but I'm guessing that certain programs leak more memory than others. Viigo (back in their initial release stages) seemed really bad. It's now much better.

    Just my take on the situation!
    Last edited by mjwood0; 01-02-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Edited for clarification
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

  14. #14
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post
    However, I have a couple points to consider.

    Again, I have no scientific proof, but I'm guessing that certain programs leak more memory than others. Viigo (back in their initial release stages) seemed really bad. It's now much better.

    Just my take on the situation!
    Great Points!

    While I was aware of most of what you covered, the area that I tended to forget about if you will, was the situation with programs such as Viigo which indeed does bring out that issue and proves your point.

    In the past with my various 81xx series models, and 83xx models I did experience what I would call "true memory leak". Also of note, is that I would typically install a rather robust amount of 3rd party programs, while staying under the limit so as to not kill performance completely. Now I've taken a different approach.

    I've tried to keep my BlackBerrys' as lean as possible and free of third party apps after experiencing the "true memory leaks" on the 81xx and 83xx series. I thought that perhaps it had been resolved in the 4.6 or higher OS builds. However based on your very comprehensive discussion of this I stand corrected and fully agree with your assessment. A great job of analysis on your part. So while the good news is that you have shed more light on this, the bad news is that RIM still has a problem to work on, as this is not something that should be present in 4.6 +

    Nice Work!


  15. #15
    novalovr66's Avatar
    novalovr66 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    249E4BA7
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by applejosh View Post
    Is the .210 OS a beta somewhere, or is it an official release for a carrier other than AT&T?
    To my knowledge the .210 OS is still a beta. IMO it is the best beta so far and I think is more stable than any of the OS's that are officially released.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •